BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got my 600 mile service later today. Dealer says it wont take long and I can wait. So I am wondering what can be done in a short period as the bike will take a while to cool.

I reckon engine oil, diff oil and filter are must dos,but what else on this model. Valve clearances ?, throttle body synch ?, Engine mangt checks ? - does anyone know what I should expect.

I am going to ask for throttle bodies synched as its rocking to and fro on very light throttle.

Kev

·
Registered
492 Posts
Hiya Kev
I took mine to coopers presume you are aswell, I just looked at my 500 service sheet and yes oils,filter, throttle sync, fault memory,brake fluid check are all on the sheet.The valve check is not though.
I waited about 2 hours cost was £56..94 but that was last year.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Widowmaker2011 said:
That form shows a date of 2006 in the bottom left. The new cylinder head dezign still needs a valve adjust at 600...?
I dont think they check the valves there is no check box on the new service sheet and it only takes 1-2 hours for the service.I dont think the engine would have cooled enough in that time to check tolerances.

·
Registered
39 Posts
philh24 said:
Hiya Kev
I waited about 2 hours cost was £56..94 but that was last year.
Thats very cheap!!!!!

I have booked my first 600 mile service for the 2011 RT and the cost quoted for me is £225!!!!!

Is that correct?

·
Registered
39 Posts
BigKev said:
Got my 600 mile service later today.

Kev
How much did they charge you for your first service?

·
Registered
492 Posts
dinku said:
Thats very cheap!!!!!

I have booked my first 600 mile service for the 2011 RT and the cost quoted for me is £225!!!!!

Is that correct?
Are you taking your bike in for service to the dealers where you bought it from I have heard that dealers charge more if you take it to another dealer.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I am taking it to the dealers that I bought it from.

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
philh24 said:
Thats very expensive for a 1st service hopefully they have miss quoted you the price.
First service is $2-300 in the states.

·
Premium Member
693 Posts
philh24 said:
I dont think they check the valves there is no check box on the new service sheet and it only takes 1-2 hours for the service.I dont think the engine would have cooled enough in that time to check tolerances.

New models don't have the valves checked until 10,000 km is what I was told when I had mine done. Don't have to wait for cooling.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My 600 mile service done yesterday cost £75 at the dealer that supplied the bike. They dont do valve clearance or tighten the head anymore at 600 miles. Thet did synch the throttle bodies that seems to have cured the surging at light throttle. The charge did not incude labour (free) and the bulk of the cost was the fully synth oil.

Kev

·
Registered
112 Posts
BigKev said:
My 600 mile service done yesterday cost £75 at the dealer that supplied the bike. They dont do valve clearance or tighten the head anymore at 600 miles. Thet did synch the throttle bodies that seems to have cured the surging at light throttle. The charge did not incude labour (free) and the bulk of the cost was the fully synth oil.

Kev
No admonishment from your dealer about switching to full synth oil at such a young age?

·
Registered
39 Posts
BigKev said:

Kev
Hi Kev
do you mind telling me which dealer you have booked your service with as my dealer from where I bought my brand new R1200RT is charging me £225 for the 600 mile service. if I had a copy of invoice I could perhaps take that to my local dealer and try to get the price down.
Thanks
dinku

·
Registered
472 Posts
realworld51 said:
No admonishment from your dealer about switching to full synth oil at such a young age?
The manual contains no comment about avoiding synthetic oil early in the bike's life.

·
Registered
29 Posts
The manual used to say 10,000 KM's, or about 6200 miles. I'll have to check mine on my 2011 RT when I get home.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I had my 600 mile (1000km) service done NOT at the dealership where I purchased my bike and had to pay $467 (with taxes)! :(

I was thinking that I had to trailer my bike to the dealership for the 6000 mile service so they could do the valve adjustment-check when engine is stone cold. That was the way for all my other bikes. Is that not true for the 2010 and higher R1200RT?

Thanks.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts