BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

I purchased the above which is damaged was dropped on the right side. Rocker cover holed. On closer inspection the front edge of the cylinder head is chipped so the gasket would not seat without leaving a gap. it also damaged the camshaft assembly.

I need replace the head and wanted some advice on the following;

From looking at Real OEM it seems all 2010 onwards have the same internals so a secondhand head would be identical along with the camshaft?

In fitting a secondhand head am I better of fitting it was the second hand valve or changing them over?

Finally can anyone suggest a guide to do this? I am reasonably comfortable in attempting it but I would need to be a detailed guide hopefully with pictures.

Thanks

Nick

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
Get the Factory DVD, all the details needed are there. Of course it depends on the history and miles as to changing the valves and springs. You might give some serious thought to repairing the head with some Devcon Liquid Steel or other high tech epoxy/metal mixture. If it is only a small chip and no cracking it is worth a try in my book. But if any of the cam towers and related parts are broken then you are on the right path. You need the DVD for other work too.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Once you get the engine back together and running invest in a set of engine crash bars.
I have the Z technik installed. Best money spent. Hope all works out well for you and you get back up and running.

·
Registered
236 Posts
beech said:
Get the Factory DVD, all the details needed are there. Of course it depends on the history and miles as to changing the valves and springs. You might give some serious thought to repairing the head with some Devcon Liquid Steel or other high tech epoxy/metal mixture. If it is only a small chip and no cracking it is worth a try in my book. But if any of the cam towers and related parts are broken then you are on the right path. You need the DVD for other work too.
+1 I just got my DVD the other day and quick review was enough to tell me it well worth the investment. Good luck with the rebuild.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.