BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for engine guards for 2010 R1200RT.

Have been looking at Wunderlich, Ztechnik and Touratech.

Would prefer avoiding removal for valve work, but more concerned about damage to engine from drop forces transmitted through guard to engine attachment points.

Is there one of the above that is superior for safe attachment points (frame)?

Any comments on fit & finish of the above 3 guards?

Stainless, chrome and powder coated...does one hold up better than the rest?

·
Registered
3,687 Posts

·
Registered
492 Posts
The ztec ones are nice but a word of warning unles they have modified them they dont fit the newer models 2010 on.I bought some before delivery of mine and over the phone the guy said they would fit the newer model.
When the bike arrived they did not fit but I agree with Ponch they are the ones I would go for if I could.I had to fit the plastic ones from bmw as that was all that was available at the time last march.They do others now though.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Another try on BMW guards.

Go to section 46-Frame, Fairing, Cases and part way down the page you will find parts list and cost for BMW guards.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is there any concern with Ztechnik guards for engine damage (at guard attachment points) with bike drop/crash?

·
Registered
492 Posts
Sandalwood said:
Is there any concern with Ztechnik guards for engine damage (at guard attachment points) with bike drop/crash?
They state on there spec for the guards that they are designed to snap the fastenings before any stress would be incured.I really wanted these because they look good on the bike.
The bmw ones are ok though I believe wunderlich also do them aswell now

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
Sandalwood said:
Another try on BMW guards.

Go to section 46-Frame, Fairing, Cases and part way down the page you will find parts list and cost for BMW guards.

Wow, very expensive.

·
Registered
3,687 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
My vote is for the Wunderlich. I'm not handy but I was able to install them myself no problem. Also, when I got hit in the left saddlebag in that intersection, I was traveling 25-30 mph and while the right side of the bike got damaged the engine was fine. The bar on that side was scraped and slightly bent and was replaced, but it did its job. I personally like the looks of these bars. If I remember correctly, I don't think the bars were in the way of a valve adjustment. I never tried it, but then again I only had about1930 miles on the '07 RT when I got hit. I hope this helps.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Gday there.Fitted a set of Ztechnik bars to my 2011 R1200RT recently.They are well made from stainless steel and are supplied with all stainless hardware to fit them as well.The whole procedure took only 30 min and they fitted perfectly.Just make sure you order the correct ones for the 2010 model onwards as they make them for early models as well.They mount solidly at 3 points and i guess any incident that is that is strong enough to do damage to your engine with these fitted means it will probably be the least of your worries!Crash bars can only do so much.The valve covers can be removed without removing the bars which is a bonus and i also happen to think they look pretty good as well which isnt always easy with crash bars.I would definitely recommend them.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts