BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2010 Lt (4th one)that has 15K and is still on warranty. Since I got it at 10k the engine has Pinged(pinked) on the slightest incline. All I get from the dealer is that its the fuel in AZ and there is not fix for it - try Chevron and Octane additive. While this was better it has not been a cure. Sooner or later the engine will be damaged. I contacted BMW USA who were no help(no surprise) and referred me to the dealer(who suggested Chevron etc in the first place!!)
Pinging (pinking/rattle is the result of poor fuel or bad timing, I have done what I can for the fuel and they say the timing cant be changed.??
Anyone out there any better ideas - PLEASE!!

John

[email protected] :confused: :mad:

·
Registered
62 Posts
jwg543 said:
I have a 2010 Lt (4th one)that has 15K and is still on warranty. Since I got it at 10k the engine has Pinged(pinked) on the slightest incline. All I get from the dealer is that its the fuel in AZ and there is not fix for it - try Chevron and Octane additive. While this was better it has not been a cure. Sooner or later the engine will be damaged. I contacted BMW USA who were no help(no surprise) and referred me to the dealer(who suggested Chevron etc in the first place!!)
Pinging (pinking/rattle is the result of poor fuel or bad timing, I have done what I can for the fuel and they say the timing cant be changed.??
Anyone out there any better ideas - PLEASE!!

John

[email protected] :confused: :mad:
Which dealer did you try? I stay FAR FAR away from Chandler Bmw, but the Scottsdale dealer is far better. Have them really check fuel pressure, as in while in motion.

·
Cat Herder
1,537 Posts
The fuel in AZ is usually lower in alcohol than the fuel in southern Nevada. My LT would ping a little so I started using a fuel additive for boats(its blue, forgot the name) that tries to dry up the alcohol in the fuel. It has been working so far. It also helps to stretch the mileage out of a tank of gas.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,534 Posts
I know you said 4th one but just have to ask are you running premium? 91 -93 ? I have seen at least two engines that have been damaged (cracked piston ring lands) but no one ever reported hearing any "pinging". They were both pre- 05 units where the brown wire was cut AND the air box temp sensor was disconnected. RPM's when you hear it? Might be worth while to check the timing it may not be correct since there is no knocjk sensor on the LT. Find another dealer because you CAN change the timing - just don't want to do it if it is within specs.

·
Registered
476 Posts
I would always refer to John's advice first.

I don't know if this helps or adds confusion, but my '05 was pinging badly for a while and I was running premium, even added octane boost, tried all sorts of things suggested on this board, nothing made it go away. Then I spotted mouse [email protected] under my stingray and I started mouse hunting. I discovered a mouse nest in the air box which basically meant the air flow was restricted and the bikes computer was going nuts. After a good vacuuming, alcohol wiping to get rid of residual "come and sleep here" smells, new air filter and then reassembly (the fuel tank has to come off to do this), the problem was solved.

This is very likely a long shot in your case with such a new bike (hence my very first sentence in my reply), but it's possible. I did learn that apparently mouse nests in the air box are not as uncommon as one would think - it's warm, dry, easy to get into and out of, quiet and safe all winter....!!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I tried another dealer in UT and got similar response, I was told to "RED LINE IT!!" from time to time! They took it out and said they couldn't fine anything (their rider was 140lb wet through! not the same as 2 x adults and full luggage)
Still rattle/pings under acceleration.
Its difficult when the dealer says there is noting abnormal and you know there is!

John

·
Registered
228 Posts
jwg543 said:
I tried another dealer in UT and got similar response, I was told to "RED LINE IT!!" from time to time! They took it out and said they couldn't fine anything (their rider was 140lb wet through! not the same as 2 x adults and full luggage)
Its difficult when the dealer says there is noting abnormal and you know there is!

John
Does it do it on colder days or just warmer ones?
Is the temp gauge about halfway or higher when this happens?
Does the bike do it if you keep the r's at 3500 or higher?
Off hand I'm going to guess some carbon build up on valves that's setting your mixture off early under load.

Its basically pre ignition that is doing it.
Firing to soon and causing vibrations between the head and block.
Can be disastrous.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
jwg543 said:

John
these engines do need to be redlined or close once in awhile and altho I drive mine at 35 - 40 mph in 5th in the city I do not use much throttle - 2 up and loaded if the revs are below 3K and you are giving more than a little throttle it might ping loud enough to hear it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts