BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering the former, of these two possibilities.. Just wanted a little feedback from those of you, that have transitioned, to the new 6 cylinder-and those that have-that may? miss their 4 cylinder?? Pluses/minuses?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I'm frankly, pretty amazed, that not a single person, has given me their opinion, here. I posted this topic, nearly 6 1/2 hours ago. I am left to formulating my own opinion(s) of which am very capable-but would have appreciated some sort of input, here. The folks over in the K1200-1300 section, did respond-thanks to them. Keep the rubber side down, y'all.
 

·
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
Joined
·
8,603 Posts
The problem is not many people may have come from a K1300GT to the K1600.
Most of use are Ex K1200LT rider with a few R1200RT converts. The rest come from HD & other brands.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,566 Posts
jimbullitt said:
I'm frankly, pretty amazed, that not a single person, has given me their opinion, here. I posted this topic, nearly 6 1/2 hours ago.
You waited a whole whopping 6+ hours, and NO response? These freaking BASTARDS!!! How dare they withhold information from such a patient, patient man!!! :histerica
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
katnapinn said:
The problem is not many people may have come from a K1300GT to the K1600.
Most of use are Ex K1200LT rider with a few R1200RT converts. The rest come from HD & other brands.
Thank you, Sir. That helps immensely.

And to the other naysayer: 'never said anything about bastards. I posted on other forums, and gained a plethora of information, and response(s), in a very short time. I guess they are a more active bunch/ have more members/ are more 'vocal'..so far-that's all.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,897 Posts
jimbullitt said:
Thank you, Sir. That helps immensely.

And to the other naysayer: 'never said anything about bastards. I posted on other forums, and gained a plethora of information, and response(s), in a very short time. I guess they are a more active bunch/ have more members/ are more 'vocal'..so far-that's all.
Naaaaaaaaaaaa, We out riding and what was said above. My guess is a large percentage of K1600 owners came from the LT and could not specifically address your question. I can tell you all about the K1600, but that wasn't your question.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,282 Posts
My 'recent' history: K1200GT -> R1200GSA -> K1600GTL.

The GT is an awesome bike, very sporty (a bit too sporty for me, hence the change to GSA), where the GTL is superior in all aspects albeit having a more 'laid back' sitting position (and less sporty).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
®win said:
My 'recent' history: K1200GT -> R1200GSA -> K1600GTL.

The GT is an awesome bike, very sporty (a bit too sporty for me, hence the change to GSA), where the GTL is superior in all aspects albeit having a more 'laid back' sitting position (and less sporty).
I just rode the R1200 RT, and the K1600 GTL, today. The test ride was way too brief, but at this short juncture, I am leaning toward the K. I still need to evaluate the two 2010 K1300 GTs, that are in my area, and I feel pretty sure that those folks will let me ride, longer, and help establish more of a benchmark. As has been pointed out, there is a difference, in the ergonomics of the 1300, and the 1600. It seems that the ergos of the 1600, are pretty close to the riding posture of my current ride, and I told my Wife, that she needs to go with me, and weigh in, on the ergos, as well. The two '10 models, are also about 7000. less, than a newer, 6 cylinder(brand new) GTL.. Hmmm..new, vs. gently worn..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
And, is it true, that there have been problems, with the K bikes? I'm not trying to rain on anyone's parade, nor am I attempting to jinx anyone, whose bike has been trouble free-just trying to educate myself.. :confused:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,282 Posts
jimbullitt said:
And, is it true, that there have been problems, with the K bikes?
Every bike (brand / model) has it's specific problems. Remember: on forums you only read about these problems, but you never hear about the bikes that have no issues at all.

Something to read:
K1300GT and K1600GT(L).
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,897 Posts
®win said:
Every bike (brand / model) has it's specific problems. Remember: on forums you only read about these problems, but you never hear about the bikes that have no issues at all.

Something to read:
K1300GT and K1600GT(L).
I'm probably guilty of saying that all bikes have their problems, but I need to take that back. My K1200LT was mostly trouble free for 50,000 and about 8 years. A few little things, but for the most part trouble free. I'll bet that there were many like me too.

Thinking back to most of the bikes that I have owned, they too were for the most part trouble free.

I know that it is still new, 7,500 miles on the clock, but my 1 year old 2012 K1600GTL has been trouble free too. I'll bet that most of the K1600's are the same, trouble free.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
DanDiver said:
I'm probably guilty of saying that all bikes have their problems, but I need to take that back. My K1200LT was mostly trouble free for 50,000 and about 8 years. A few little things, but for the most part trouble free. I'll bet that there were many like me too.

Thinking back to most of the bikes that I have owned, they too were for the most part trouble free.

I know that it is still new, 7,500 miles on the clock, but my 1 year old 2012 K1600GTL has been trouble free too. I'll bet that most of the K1600's are the same, trouble free.
I do realize, that there will always be a human element, in all things mechanical-unless those things are assembled by robots :) and that means the fallibilty of the manufacturer, translates to their product. I read recently that the studied opinion of the gentleman that rebuilds, failed, FDs, opined that the vast majority of these, are in '06, and older models
?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
258 Posts
Well, just so you don't feel ignored I'll throw in my two cents. My K1600 GTL has almost 15K on it and I abuse it regularly (knee dragging two-up while fully loaded and pulling a loaded Unigo). I come from an '02 LT that got the same treatment for 100K miles. Short of performing my regular services (I do them myself) and dealing with fast tire wear the K16 stands out as the best motorcycle I've ever owned and I've been riding since 1967. My buddy has an '07 K1200GT which I personally put 300 miles on while developing a trailer hitch for him. The K12GT was "twitchy" in the rain grooves and it's shorter wheelbase makes it more of a "sport" bike. I also found the K12GT to be a wingy motor that was short on low end torque. Fine for a one up sport bike, but far from desirable in a tourer. The K12/13GT and K16 have similar HP but the torque of the K16 can't be beat! If your going to include your significant other then I'd definitely say go to the K1600. The longer wheelbase is more comfortable on longer tours and the added torque makes touring loaded very easy. My wife loves our K16 and has said on more than one occasion that the K16 is a more comfortable tourer than the LT was. I've discovered a few minor qwerks in the K16 but no bike is perfect as delivered. Mechanically my K16 (#25 delivered in the US) has been flawless and I done pretty much everything I could to break it. The M/C industry will have pull off a pretty extreme miracle in my eyes to come up with a better package than the K16 in my opinion.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
old1951 said:
Well, just so you don't feel ignored I'll throw in my two cents. My K1600 GTL has almost 15K on it and I abuse it regularly (knee dragging two-up while fully loaded and pulling a loaded Unigo). I come from an '02 LT that got the same treatment for 100K miles. Short of performing my regular services (I do them myself) and dealing with fast tire wear the K16 stands out as the best motorcycle I've ever owned and I've been riding since 1967. My buddy has an '07 K1200GT which I personally put 300 miles on while developing a trailer hitch for him. The K12GT was "twitchy" in the rain grooves and it's shorter wheelbase makes it more of a "sport" bike. I also found the K12GT to be a wingy motor that was short on low end torque. Fine for a one up sport bike, but far from desirable in a tourer. The K12/13GT and K16 have similar HP but the torque of the K16 can't be beat! If your going to include your significant other then I'd definitely say go to the K1600. The longer wheelbase is more comfortable on longer tours and the added torque makes touring loaded very easy. My wife loves our K16 and has said on more than one occasion that the K16 is a more comfortable tourer than the LT was. I've discovered a few minor qwerks in the K16 but no bike is perfect as delivered. Mechanically my K16 (#25 delivered in the US) has been flawless and I done pretty much everything I could to break it. The M/C industry will have pull off a pretty extreme miracle in my eyes to come up with a better package than the K16 in my opinion.
Outstanding! :dance: Thanks alot for posting-I really appreciate it! Tomorrow is the day!
:cool:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,509 Posts
jimbullitt said:
...And to the other naysayer: 'never said anything about bastards. ...
Ah, don't take it personally, you gotta know Meese, even V2.
 

·
IBR# 366
Joined
·
16,656 Posts
icepick578 said:
Ah, don't take it personally, you gotta know Meese, even V2.
Hey now, there is a huge difference between Meese & Messenger13 . . . (Hi, Joe :wave)

And I know that Barrett even knows that, although he can be just a bit confused now and again. ;)

As to the original topic, I put 138K miles on a K1200GT in 3 1/2 years, 12K on another '07 GT in 6 months (it was a slow winter), and 26K miles on an '09 K1300GT in 4 months before picking up a K1600GTL, which has just crossed 36K miles in just over 5 months. That pretty much covers all the lower 48, plus Alaska and large parts of Canada (and even a tiny bit of Mexico). :bike:

So I'd say that I have some direct experience with the original question and I'd have been glad to reply (just as I've done here before, easily found using the Search feature), except for the fact that on the date the question was asked, I was 2 days into a 30-day, 22,000 mile trip . . .

So yeah, some of us are just a bit busy actually out riding rather that constantly scanning random forums so we can jump on any particular newbie question that may pop up. ;)

As to my reply, that's easy: There is nothing I can do on the K12/13GT that I can't do just as easily on the K16.

In fact the K16 is actually easier to ride. Sure, it's heavier, but it's also balanced much better, with better fueling, and that massive torque means you can flog it through the twisties without bothering with all that gear change nonsense.

Yeah, I see no reason to give up two cylinders and go back . . . :cool:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,509 Posts
meese said:
And I know that Barrett even knows that, although he can be just a bit confused now and again. ;)
Wait a minute, isn't this the Suzuki forum?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16 Posts
I made the switch from a K1300GT to a K1600GT about 3 weeks ago. I rode the GTL and didn't like it all. I've put about 3K on the 1600 and rode several good roads in the process (Back of the Dragon, The Snake, 58 E through Cherokee Forest, etc). It's going to take some getting use to... The difference is where the power is a big difference. On the 1300 I high RPMs are the way to go in the twisties, but on the 1600 the same power is there at a much lower RPM. I'm having to make myself get into a lower gear to get the same braking. Two-up the 1300 isn't even in the same class. The 1600 is the smoothest riding bike I've ever ridden, by far! I'm still working on rider preference ergonomics, e.g. windshield, seat, etc. Once I get those worked out I'll post more.

If you are going from the 1300GT to the new 1600 then you need to ride the GT... The GTL is a true tourer, the GT is the sport-tourer... my .02...
 
1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Top