BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched for this issue but couldn't find anything relevant, which could be my key words. Thought I would tap the vast assembled knowledge here.

My wife's motorcycle, a 2010 K13GT, has been stalling out on her at very low (parking lot) speeds. She said that it most often happens when she is coming to a stop and has the clutch disengaged. It has happened on level ground and a slight downhill, so far. She says that the tank has plenty of gas in it when this happens. The bike was just in a week ago for annual service, which one would think might rule out the idle setting being too low.

She only just mentioned this last night, mostly because she figured it was user error in some way. I do occasionally ride the bike, but have never had this issue. Hopefully one of you will recognize this problem and the solution. Thanks for whatever help you can provide.

·
Registered
783 Posts
I had the same issue with my K12GT a couple years ago. I would be going down the highway, and when I decelerated for an exit, when I would pull in the clutch and the throttle was at idle, it would die. It was more likely to die coming down from higher revs to idle, than when just idling.

Unfortunately, I never identified the culprit. There was a change to the airbox, but that didn't fix it. The dealer tried twice, and it ran better for a while, and then deteriorated back to this same problem.

The problem eventually got fixed when I put diesel fuel into the bike (the pump did say premium). The dealer flushed the entire system, replaced the plugs, and i'm not sure what else, and it's worked great since. Since they did so many things, it's hard to know what actually fixed the problem. I wish I could give a more specific answer.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bobnoxous said:
The problem eventually got fixed when I put diesel fuel into the bike (the pump did say premium). The dealer flushed the entire system, replaced the plugs, and i'm not sure what else, and it's worked great since. Since they did so many things, it's hard to know what actually fixed the problem. I wish I could give a more specific answer.
Think I'll save the diesel fix for the end of the list. Thanks for the info. :)

·
Registered
89 Posts
Stalling issue is well documented problem with K1300GT and was covered by a NHTSA recall. Unfortunately the software fix from the recall sometimes triggers a false low oil warning light, which requires yet another software upload. Here is one of the threads on this topic:

http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?t=24857&highlight=stalling

This is a serious problem, which can cause an accident if the stall occurs while leaned over in a turn. Talk to your dealer and hopefully the problem can be readily resolved.

·
Registered
164 Posts
remphoto said:
Stalling issue is well documented problem with K1300GT and was covered by a NHTSA recall. Unfortunately the software fix from the recall sometimes triggers a false low oil warning light, which requires yet another software upload. Here is one of the threads on this topic:

http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?t=24857&highlight=stalling

This is a serious problem, which can cause an accident if the stall occurs while leaned over in a turn. Talk to your dealer and hopefully the problem can be readily resolved.
I did the fix last summer and the oil warning icon resulted from that, and I had that resolved over last winter. Bike runs fantastic. Just did a 2400 mile trip to teh Tail of the Dragon and home.
Love the bike.
Do the fix immediately, as it could stall in a turn or in some other low speed maneuver and stalling, then tipping as the bars are turned.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts