BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Folks,

I recently picked up a 2011 RT with the low suspension option. I did not like the single piece seat that BMW ships with the lower suspension so I "invested" in the Touratech Comfort Low seat, as well as the passenger seat, both of which come ready to connect to the BMW wiring harness to supply heat as needed. In fact both seats are fitted with two position switches wired into the seats for temperature control.

Unfortunately, BWM will not provide you with a heated seat if you purchase the RT with the lowered suspension so there is no wiring harness to which to connect the passenger seats. I ordered cables that will allow me to make the connection to the nice barrel type connectors that come with the seats.

The intent is to wire the other end to a relay, which will supply power to the seats via an auxiliary fuse box that I installed.

However, I am missing two vital pieces of information:

1) Can anyone help me with the wiring diagram associated with the BMW heated seat option? I need to understand which wires go to the switch since I cannot get to the connections at the switch due to the manner in which the seat is constructed.

2) Can anyone help me identify where I can pick up a 24VDC signal that is present only when the ignition is turned on so that I can drive a relay which in turn will power the seats from the fuse box?

Any and all assistance to these questions would be most appreciated.

Thank You!

·
Registered
461 Posts
Hello Frank

It will be 12VDC , I have found on my BMW that the frame is not a very good source of
-12VDC as most all devices are wired with 2 wires . I would get out the DMM and find a wire that is comes on with the key and check that no other switch turns it off and just adding a relay coil will not be a current problem to any circuit .

Bob G

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
gbob said:
Hello Frank

It will be 12VDC , I have found on my BMW that the frame is not a very good source of
-12VDC as most all devices are wired with 2 wires . I would get out the DMM and find a wire that is comes on with the key and check that no other switch turns it off and just adding a relay coil will not be a current problem to any circuit .

Bob G
Thanks, Bob. I agree that activating a relay coil should not be an issue for most existing circuits. As for the ground side of the relay, I will tie it back to the battery via the fuse box. I am hoping that someone will be able to tell me precisely where to find switched 12VDC as opposed to digging into the wiring with a DVM to locate one. Of course, if all else fails... ;)

Thanks again for the reply!

·
Registered
472 Posts
I got the switched power for my accessory fuseblock from the GPS plug at the front of the bike. I found on one of the forums the part number for the plug that mates to what comes with the bike.
I believe others have spliced into the wire for the left side Powerlet plug that is under the seat without causing CANBUS issues.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I purchased a Centech fuse block and after installing it, wired my Corbin, heated one piece, seat to the Centech. Works great and gives me zero problems.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
I wired my relayed fuse block to the front running light for the "ignition on" signal. Power for the fuse block is through the relay to the battery. Would have used the GPS connection if I'd known it existed, but that was then.

Some here have advocated picking up the "ignition on" signal from the BMW accessory socket. That socket has a time delay of around 30 seconds after you turn off the ignition, so it will leave your fuse block powered up longer. May not want that given how much current the seats draw.

JayJay

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone for the input on where I can pick up a relay trigger - vert much appreciated!!!

Does anyone know where I can get the wiring diagram for the BMW heated seats? I need to identify the wiring and associated pin outs on the connector.

Thank you!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts