BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! I've been looking for a newer bike better suited for two-up touring now that my wife is interested in riding with me. Found a 2009 R1200RT with 52k on the clock for $4750. The recent major service was 2k miles ago. Needs to be registered, so the price OTD before insurance is $5,500.

Is this a good value? Any replies are greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
3,776 Posts
It's ok. I have the same year, a little lower mileage. Just make sure outstanding recalls were done. The fuel pump is an important one as is the rear wheel flange. I would check the brake services. Make sure it's been flushed every 2 years. See how the clutch is too.
All that said, it's the last iteration of the hexhead and a lot of things had been worked out by then. I don't fancy it a 2 up bike though, but it really depends on the size and weight of the rider and passenger. Beyond a certain point, let's say 450lbs combined or more, you're better off with a different bike. I am 6'5, wife is 5'9 and our combined is north of that. The bike is a slug with both of us on it and it's cramped. Luckily she doesn't ride with me anymore. If she did, I'd have to get a Goldwing or some other bike that could handle both of us well.

One more thing: Check the throttle body pulleys. They crack after a while and in time separate from the shafts. I was an early adopter, probably due to the heat in AZ, but there are several threads about this on the BMW Sport Touring forum. BMW feigns ignorance about it. It doesn't happen to everyone, but enough that it's a problem. Most folks had no idea until they inspected them and found the cracks. The way it's situated, one might never look.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's ok. I have the same year, a little lower mileage. Just make sure outstanding recalls were done. The fuel pump is an important one as is the rear wheel flange. I would check the brake services. Make sure it's been flushed every 2 years. See how the clutch is too.
All that said, it's the last iteration of the hexhead and a lot of things had been worked out by then. I don't fancy it a 2 up bike though, but it really depends on the size and weight of the rider and passenger. Beyond a certain point, let's say 450lbs combined or more, you're better off with a different bike. I am 6'5, wife is 5'9 and our combined is north of that. The bike is a slug with both of us on it and it's cramped. Luckily she doesn't ride with me anymore. If she did, I'd have to get a Goldwing or some other bike that could handle both of us well.

One more thing: Check the throttle body pulleys. They crack after a while and in time separate from the shafts. I was an early adopter, probably due to the heat in AZ, but there are several threads about this on the BMW Sport Touring forum. BMW feigns ignorance about it. It doesn't happen to everyone, but enough that it's a problem. Most folks had no idea until they inspected them and found the cracks. The way it's situated, one might never look.
Thanks for the insight. Bummer to hear that you don't like it as a 2-up bike. I'm not sure I love the look of older Goldwings but don't want to fork over the cash for the newer models, those can get expensive quickly!

·
Registered
3,776 Posts
Thanks for the insight. Bummer to hear that you don't like it as a 2-up bike. I'm not sure I love the look of older Goldwings but don't want to fork over the cash for the newer models, those can get expensive quickly!
It's a function thing. It's just too small for us. For average sized folks, it's probably fine. You'd probably want to change the seat if you want to do distances. Send it off to Russell, Bill Mayer or Laam.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's a function thing. It's just too small for us. For average sized folks, it's probably fine. You'd probably want to change the seat if you want to do distances. Send it off to Russell, Bill Mayer or Laam.
The bike I'm eyeing has Sargent seats installed. I'm pretty skinny and my wife is built average so we're under that 450lb threshold you mentioned.

·
Premium Member
265 Posts
Although not a major issue, don't forget about the fuel strip!

·
Registered
232 Posts
Hi! I've been looking for a newer bike better suited for two-up touring now that my wife is interested in riding with me. Found a 2009 R1200RT with 52k on the clock for $4750. The recent major service was 2k miles ago. Needs to be registered, so the price OTD before insurance is $5,500.

Is this a good value? Any replies are greatly appreciated!
I would say it is a good value! I have a 08 and happy with it. Only issue had was the fuel pump regulator that I have replaced 6 years ago. Love the bike and will keep it for as long as I can handle it. Is not as fast as the Jap bikes , Ducati or Triumph but you intend to tour two up. It is a perfect bike for mature riders. Make sure you gat all 3 cases, as they are locked with same key. Easy to remove and carry to your room, cabin or tent. Not that you have to, but i did replace headlight bulbs with HID's Today are many LED that can do a better job than factory bulbs. Same with brake bulbs, though i did not find a set that will not trigger the warning light as the bulb is burned out. It doesn't bother me anymore. And for sure you will need a set of mirrors. The factory ones are useless. May have to replace the batteries for the tire pressure monitors. Look it up on U tube how to do it. will cost you $6, otherwise, factory ones are like $500. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
455 Posts
You'd probably want to change the seat if you want to do distances. Send it off to Russell, Bill Mayer or Laam.
Could not agree more. I have an '07. First thing I did was have Russell Day Long do my seat. I just them rebuild last year some 14 years later.

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
You can purchase real tire monitors from parts sources in Germany and the UK for about $220 a pair with postage. Of course OEM parts make one faint with their prices. It is an easy bike to work on, the valve gear are just normal tappets. The Throttle body sync is basically make sure the bodies open at the same time. Plenty of miles left in the bike.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts