BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
update: I traced the rusting spout pipe and it runs down to near the foot pegs where it vents without obstruction. as long as that's clear the fuel tank cannot develop a vacuum, collapse or cause damage to the fuel pump. there's another pipe attached by the filler that runs to the canister. however, I'm not sure of the point of that with the other vent being there. apologies for wasting anyone's time..

hello good people. first post - I bought a 2009 r1200rt-p a month ago and have been getting familiar with the bike and online communities ever since.
I've come across my first situation which would benefit from some opinions. removing the fuel tank to facilitate a couple of jobs I've lined up I found that the overflow spout on the fuel tank is heavily rusted and could easily be/become blocked (see pic). I've read a fair amount about blockage causing tank collapse/pump failures scattered in many threads, as a result I'm thinking of just cleaning up the overflow spout and removing the canister if its operation could've exacerbated the overflow spout issue otherwise clear/clean and leave as is.
also if no one's checked their overflow - maybe you should because this bike is very clean otherwise (~20000 odo).

I'd be grateful for comments on best way forward

Attachments

·
Registered
955 Posts
The tank collapse problem has never really affected the R1200 series and I can't really recall any charcoal canister problems on recent RT's. I'd leave that alone.

However there is a real problem with cracks in the fuel line flange. It's hard to judge from a picture, but it looks like you may have a small crack already, though that line could be a mold seam. The threaded fitting is tapered and with age or over-tightening, cracks and leaks occur at that flange. Under the recall your dealer will reinforce the flange with a metal ring or replace the entire pump, depending on the depth of the cracks.

Attachments

·
Registered
747 Posts
Get caught up on the flange issue AND check under the fuel pump controller (remove 2 T-20 screws that hold the the fuel pump controller) to be sure nothing is corroded. You've got the newer fpc but be aware that fpc and connection issues- plus flange cracks- are very common. Th fuel system is the leat reliable part of the bike though the pump itself is pretty durable.

Get some kind of line on that vent- not a great idea to leave it as is with possibles fumes right next to electrics. Canister removal isn't useful on an RT but you do need to make sure all lines in the system are properly connected- swaps are often made by the careless.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the info(s).

upon inspection the flange looks good, no cracking.
that spout did have the hose connected, I was shocked at the condition underneath.

I'll remove the fuel pump controller and have a look for more corrosion, maybe see I can find a replacement.

thanks all.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts