BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is my problem.
I have owned my 2009 LT since new. Never had any problems with starting or running. I have not been riding as much lately but regularly started and ran the bike. Rode a bit 2 weeks ago and everything was fine.
Yesterday went out to start and ride and she would not fire up. Steps I have taken so far.
  • Drained gas and refilled with fresh even though it ran perfectly 2 weeks ago.
  • Looked into the tank when the fuel pump was cycling and saw no movement ( hopefully eliminating the chance of a disconnected fuel line at the filter or pump)
  • played with the kill switch
  • Checked the Engine electronics fuse and it is ok
  • Removed the Left side tupperware and the spark plug cover and tested for spark using a Ignition spark tester...NO SPARK. tested the tester and it works fine.

What next? Not sure i know how to test the coil. If that is the next step instructions would be a great help.

BTW the LT has been triked with a Hannigan trike body. Thanks in advance for any help.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
15,018 Posts
Coil failure is rare. Hall effect sensors have been known to fail. Easy to test, just put the trike in gear with the key on and see if you can bump the motor over moving the trike (higher gear works better). If the hall effect is good the fuel pump will cycle on every revolution of the motor as it triggers the pump for a running engine.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
15,018 Posts
Yes it is one of the possibilities as it determines when the spark fires, best to confirm with the fuel pump test. It could still be the coil (much easier to replace). You can measure ohms on the secondary coil with 13K ohms on the coil output (spark plug lead hole) measure between two holes. Like #1 & #3 then #2 & #4. The primary is about 0.5 ohm (like a short) between either of the two outer pins to the center pin with the plug removed.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
John the Hall Effect Sensor certainly may be the issue. Upon turning the key on I get a priming of the fuel pump. But as I roll the trike forward I get no further pump priming.
That being g the case, are you aware of any how to videos on HES replacement on a LT? I have found ones on the RTs but not the LTs.
Thanks again for your help.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
15,018 Posts
You are sure you were turning the engine over when you were pushing it? You should not be able to just push the trike but rather roll bump it back and forth in 5th gear.

It is not too bad. You have to pull the tank off to get access to the plug end of the hall sensor. It helps to unhook the mechanical part of the right side radiator to gain access the the device under the T shaped cover. Timing it once you replace it is a bit tricky.

Reactions: saddleman

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
I have to ask. How is your battery. 12.7 volts sitting there. 10 volts when you hit the starter button. Two weeks is long enough to drain a medium quality battery.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
15,018 Posts
Good point Beech, I had assumed when he said "won't fire up" it was cranking but not starting. I realize "fail to start " means different thing to different people.

Reactions: hcruiser58

·
Registered
4,531 Posts
I would have assumed that it was turning over when he did the "spark test" so the battery should be good if it is strong enough to satisfy the minimum voltage required by the stater relay protection circuitry.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok, I'm back with this problem, never been corrected. I could not figure this out. If you read through all the posts it certainly seems like the Hall Effect Sensor. Since I didn't have the ability to change myself I took to my local dealer...2 months ago, and they can't figure it out. They are spending countless hours checking wire shorts, fuel pump issues, oil issues etc to no avail.
Does anybody have any words of wisdom I can share with them. Their computer analyzer isn't showing any issues evidently. They are stumped as am i.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
15,018 Posts
One thing to eliminate the hall effect sensors (HES) is to put the bike on center stand, in 5th gear, key on and rotate the rear tire one revolution by hand. Results should be hearing 7 cycles of the fuel pump. Anything less is a failed HES.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts