BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
'With bike running not getting any change in voltage at the battery. From your typical around 12 volts motor off to 13 to 14 engine running. Voltage continues to drop with motor running. You would expect bad alternator, right ? Battery load tested good. With no other way to test the alternator I can think of short of taking it out. I started the motor, dis-connected the negative battery cable, bike kept running which tells me the alternator is producing voltage ? What am I missing here ? Bad battery ? Even though it tested good. Dead short in it maybe ? Is there some residual voltage in the system somewhere that would allow the motor to run with no battery or current from the alternator ?? (stupid question) I'm baffled. Would really appreciate some help here to avoid the hours of labor to get the alternator out. To find maybe, Its not the problem ? Thanks guys

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,254 Posts
Is the red battery light on in the dash? Even if it is not it may be the connector on the thin blue wire going to the alternator. Mine was showing wild voltage swings on my voltmeter I have in the dash. I pulled the blue wire off and cleaned the connector and tightened it a bit. When I pushed it back on all was well again.

Also did this just start out of the blue or has there been some maintenance done recently?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts