BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last gas fill up, it took over 20 minutes for the gas gauge to show full scale. Any thoughts??? Thanks

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
My 2005 behaved in a similar manner, and it seems to be more common than not.

For me, I knew the tank was full, and I knew there was virtually zero risk of running out of fuel in the 15-30 minutes it would take for the gauge to register properly.

In my case, it simply was not worth worrying about or doing anything about.

·
Registered
242 Posts
If your float tube is bent slightly the float may be restricted from freely moving up until vibration from bike helps it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I use the side stand when filling up. If the key is left in the on position the gauge will not register correctly for a while. I make sure that I've turned the key off while gassing up.

I hope this helps.

Lee

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
If your float tube is bent slightly the float may be restricted from freely moving up until vibration from bike helps it.
This one will be the answer. do you leave the nozzle dangling in the tank while filling? if you do it will be the problem

·
Registered
692 Posts
I track the mileage with the trip odometer and really don't use the gauge much at all. A habit from my last bike.

·
Premium Member
1,392 Posts
This one will be the answer. do you leave the nozzle dangling in the tank while filling? if you do it will be the problem
See #3 above for the cause.... :bmw:

·
Registered
269 Posts
Mine started doing that 100,000 miles ago, but still works. I always set trip odometer anyway.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts