BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Every time I think about getting the GTL...I take a ride on my LT and say Why? Then I head over to my dealer and take his GTL for a ride and want to bring one of every color home. Then I take the GSA for a ride and want one of them. Then I take the RT for a ride and want one of them. My SO thinks I am crazy...Honestly... the LT is reliable, quiet, smooth, and will go 120MPH (per the owners manual). Yup a little top heavy when stopped. Tires every 15K, oil every 3000 and bugs cleaned off after every ride. To solve my problem...I just went out and bought the Schuberth C3. Brought it home, took out all the guts, drilled a hole in the side for the wired headset mount...cleared away a lots of styro for the speakers...put it all back together...wow! This new helmet is almost as good as my 2009 Black LT with 44K miles. Think I'm going to keep the LT for a while...It has served me well and I love the look. :wave

·
Registered
85 Posts
shuster said:
Every time I think about getting the GTL...I take a ride on my LT and say Why? Then I head over to my dealer and take his GTL for a ride and want to bring one of every color home. Then I take the GSA for a ride and want one of them. Then I take the RT for a ride and want one of them. My SO thinks I am crazy...Honestly... the LT is reliable, quiet, smooth, and will go 120MPH (per the owners manual). Yup a little top heavy when stopped. Tires every 15K, oil every 3000 and bugs cleaned off after every ride. To solve my problem...I just went out and bought the Schuberth C3. Brought it home, took out all the guts, drilled a hole in the side for the wired headset mount...cleared away a lots of styro for the speakers...put it all back together...wow! This new helmet is almost as good as my 2009 Black LT with 44K miles. Think I'm going to keep the LT for a while...It has served me well and I love the look. :wave
Am I understanding you correctly:
1) You get 15,000 miles on a set of tires?
2) You change your oil (or more likely, get it changed) every 3,000 miles?
3) You clean your motorcycle after every ride?
4) You bought a ~$700 motorcycle helmet and proceeded to "drill a hole" in it and " clear away "lots of styro"?

Seriously? I've got to say that I'm with your SO on this one: you're crazy...

·
Registered
929 Posts
Beemerick said:
Seriously? I've got to say that I'm with your SO on this one: you're crazy...
Okay...enough of this crazy speak. One man's crazy is another's wisdom. Quite frankly, I probably would never drill a hole in a $700 helmet...but I think he's paid for the privilege to do so. When I'm in a blinding rain--and the dry occupants of the cages pass by and see my smiling face...they think I'm crazy. However, when I look across the median and see my brother from another mother riding his Harley and dressed as a pirate in the same rainstorm with nothing but a handkerchief tied around his face like he's going to a stick-up somewhere...I tend to think two things. Is that dude crazy and doesn't being hit in the face with raindrops at 65 mph sting like a hornet? So, to all of us crazy lunatics...a hardy toast!

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I thought for sure you guys would talk me into buying three new bikes then I could justify picking up an RR. If you have not ridden one of them...talk about a machine...wow!!!

Drilling a hole in your brand new helmet only costs $100 if you want someone else to do it.
http://www.jmcorp.com/Static/helmet-schuberth-C3.htm

I stopped at a MCDonalds the other morning for a beverage and a fellow pulled up on his Fat Boy to chat. I think his bike was cleaner than mine. Smooth ride, quiet behind the tupperware, spend lots of $$ on helmets and clothing...I do believe I talked him into our way of life...seemed like a fellow with a bit of logic.

Gotta take a ride to Minneapolis...safe travels.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
wrmoss said:
Okay...enough of this crazy speak. One man's crazy is another's wisdom. Quite frankly, I probably would never drill a hole in a $700 helmet...but I think he's paid for the privilege to do so. When I'm in a blinding rain--and the dry occupants of the cages pass by and see my smiling face...they think I'm crazy. However, when I look across the median and see my brother from another mother riding his Harley and dressed as a pirate in the same rainstorm with nothing but a handkerchief tied around his face like he's going to a stick-up somewhere...I tend to think two things. Is that dude crazy and doesn't being hit in the face with raindrops at 65 mph sting like a hornet? So, to all of us crazy lunatics...a hardy toast!
+1 - I must be a wimp, first ride in rain hurting at 30 mph - went home got helmet - then it became law up here anyways

·
Registered
437 Posts
wrmoss said:
think I'm crazy. However, when I look across the median and see my brother from another mother riding his Harley and dressed as a pirate in the same rainstorm with nothing but a handkerchief tied around his face like he's going to a stick-up somewhere...I tend to think two things. Is that dude crazy and doesn't being hit in the face with raindrops at 65 mph sting like a hornet? So, to all of us crazy lunatics...a hardy toast!
I had a dood on a Harley Soft tail standard ( no wind screen ) shaved head and only wearing a pair of sunglasses, tee shirt and shorts pass me going 80+ mph the other week on I80 in PA . He had NJ plates on the bike. A mile or so up the road he pulled into a roadside rest . I was really tempted to stop to get and get a look at this mans face etc. That just had to hurt, there were bugs in the air and it was in the 90's and sunny.

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
WillieC said:
I had a dood on a Harley Soft tail standard ( no wind screen ) shaved head and only wearing a pair of sunglasses, tee shirt and shorts pass me going 80+ mph the other week on I80 in PA . He had NJ plates on the bike. A mile or so up the road he pulled into a roadside rest . I was really tempted to stop to get and get a look at this mans face etc. That just had to hurt, there were bugs in the air and it was in the 90's and sunny.

If I knew you wanted to chat, I would have waited there for ya! :D

(just kidding, was not me, of course)

·
Registered
437 Posts
deputy5211 said:
If I knew you wanted to chat, I would have waited there for ya! :D

(just kidding, was not me, of course)

Ah CRAP !
He was a tough looking Hombre and I thought it might have been you on your old Harley.

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Beauty, she was...

Attachments

·
Registered
437 Posts
deputy5211 said:
Beauty, she was...

Now that is some fine looking pork !
Love the custom paint and white walls, totally awesome.

I miss my 2006 Street Glide a little but the LT is so comfortable and has the features I like, not to mention the looks and handling. I would not go back BUT wish I could afford to have both.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts