BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I am new to BMW motorcycles but drive BMW cars. I anticipate buying the new model 1600 LT with the concept 6 next year when it arrives. In the meantime I am wondering if I buy a 2009 K1200 LT now for Just under the 19K mark will it hold reasonable value. Having no experience in reselling BMW bikes I thought I might inquire with you folks. Thanks for any assistance.

Regards BJ
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
656 Posts
Expect to take a bath


its far worse trying to sell on the street sadly these bikes have or hold no value


2009 BMW K1200LT ABS Value


KBB lists the bike at 12,700 for trade in on an 09
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
96 Posts
Just a thought...

There are a few differences over the years between 1999 and 2009. I bought a well cared for 2000 model with 30K two years ago for $7500. These bikes are fairly numerous in the Phoenix area. I see several listings on craigslist for the same vintage (+/-) $6000-$8000 for pre 2005 bikes.

You might consider going back a few years. Ride it for a while. Trade in or sell. Not a lot of risk.

Personally, I’ll keep mine till the wheels fall off or I can’t ride anymore.

Good luck!

Kimble
Phoenix, AZ
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
40 Posts
Speaking of powered center stand - can a pre-2004 LT be retrofitted to take a powered center stand? - Just a thought? On your potential used purchase - search high-search low as there are a bunch out there at all kinds of price points (some folks just don't understand you can't put a price on luv!) and one issue I kinda learned the hard way Maintenance Records has the requisite services tasks been completed (my service guy just smiles every-time I ask about a service that will require removal of all that pretty plastic!)

Enjoy - ride safe!

Bill
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
407 Posts
bjgolf54 said:
Hi

I am new to BMW motorcycles but drive BMW cars. I anticipate buying the new model 1600 LT with the concept 6 next year when it arrives. In the meantime I am wondering if I buy a 2009 K1200 LT now for Just under the 19K mark will it hold reasonable value. Having no experience in reselling BMW bikes I thought I might inquire with you folks. Thanks for any assistance.

Regards BJ
If there is a vehcile out there with a worse resale value I haven't seen it. And I works for a car dealer group. This is a bike you buy to keep and a used one is the only way to go. I got my 2005 with 7K on it 2 years ago with thousands in upgrades and I paid 15K. I would be lucky if I could get half that now. Still love the bike though!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,746 Posts
Based on the statement below I am willing to purchase EVERY 2009 LT for the estimated street value.

Just pm me and I'll write you a check ($0.00) and pick it up!

The fact is that they take a large depreciation hit early and it doesn't get a whole lot better after that initial bump. Sooo, buy a used unit, ride it until the wheels just can't be bolted back on again, and save the difference between the cost of a new one and your depreciated old hag and use the money to fund any needed repairs. There are a lot of them out there with just a few thousand miles that have lot of already depreciated life left in them.

Loren


Kra961 said:
Expect to take a bath


its far worse trying to sell on the street sadly these bikes have or hold no value


2009 BMW K1200LT ABS Value


KBB lists the bike at 12,700 for trade in on an 09
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
282 Posts
highroamer said:
Definitely go for something older if it's not to be a keeper. 2004 on gets you the powered centerstand.
FWIW the hydraulic center stand was introduced on the 2005 LT, the 2004 still had the manual center stand.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,181 Posts
I seriously doubt that the new K1600LT will be out in a year.
Even so, I would not purchase a first year bike with such a radical design change (or second year).
So if you want a LT because you want it then get the new one, or gently used. Some have as little as 1000 miles cause folks turn them in because they are to big for them.
BTW if you trade in the 2009 LT for the new 1600LT you will may likely get a decent trade, all depends on the economy & supply/demand.
Just my opinion........:check:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
679 Posts
tonygret said:
If there is a vehcile out there with a worse resale value I haven't seen it. And I works for a car dealer group. This is a bike you buy to keep and a used one is the only way to go. I got my 2005 with 7K on it 2 years ago with thousands in upgrades and I paid 15K. I would be lucky if I could get half that now. Still love the bike though!
I can appreciate what you are saying that about what you can get for an LT, however my friend is looking for an 05 or newer, and when you do a search on craiglook.com, you will see that they are generally going for around 11k and up. A lot more than half of 15K...As far as the LT itself, the resale amount does not even begin to resemble the value of the bike...I mean that I had a 2002 GL1800, and the BMW is easily as good, and in some areas much better. Yup, it to me is the best bargain out there for a full deluxe touring motorcycle. :bmw: to the OP, if you can afford to buy the new model, you can easily afford to get a low mile used 99-2004 and just ride the piss out of it. You won't regret it!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,345 Posts
Good used is the way to go unless you just have to have a new one.............. ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
407 Posts
casualemt said:
I can appreciate what you are saying that about what you can get for an LT, however my friend is looking for an 05 or newer, and when you do a search on craiglook.com, you will see that they are generally going for around 11k and up. A lot more than half of 15K...As far as the LT itself, the resale amount does not even begin to resemble the value of the bike...I mean that I had a 2002 GL1800, and the BMW is easily as good, and in some areas much better. Yup, it to me is the best bargain out there for a full deluxe touring motorcycle. :bmw: to the OP, if you can afford to buy the new model, you can easily afford to get a low mile used 99-2004 and just ride the piss out of it. You won't regret it!
Today's Kelley Blue book value for a 2005 LT
Retail $12,640.00
Trade in - $9,200.00

OK, I over stated it a bit. So somewhere in the middle of retail and trade in is probably correct. But for a bike (unchanged since 2005) that retails for 22.5K plus tax and license, that's still a big hit. And the luxury item market is not what it used to be.

I also agree the resale value makes no sense when you consider what this bike offers. The trade in value on a 2009 is $14,300.00. Thats a 10K hit in one day if you paid retail and include the fees. Add to this the expense of service if you let the dealer do it, and you have one money eating machine. But like I said in my previous post, I love the bike. I did 380 miles last saturday and I left the new Harley in the garrage. The LT was the only choice for that kind of riding.
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top