BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After doing a valve adjustment and TB synch, I checked the fault codes with my GS911 and got "10048 Oil Level Switch Malfunction" . I did not check fault codes prior to starting the work, so I can't tell if it was there previously. I do not seem to have any warning lights or indicators on the dash that indicate an oil fault of any type - the Oil "---" is there, but doesn't change to the "check" after warmup and ride. No other lights are on.

I checked the Bob's parts fiche, and the switch appears to be a float switch with a single wire pigtail on it. Unfortunately, it's not shown on the parts diagrams in any relationship to the rest of the engine. Just sits out there by itself on the engine block page.

Can anyone tell me where on the engine the switch/sensor is? I believe I have found it on the lower right side of the block, but I would like some confirmation. I have the skills to change it - I just need to confirm the location.

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

·
Registered
403 Posts
The easiest way is going to be look on the RepROM. I know I cannot download or copy images from it, but some others can.
I think with the code, it may mean in the system. So it may be the connector, the wire, etc. Rather than the sensor itself. Or, it may be the sensor.
dc

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
Before you dive in, reset the fault, check that you have a good oil level and see if it happens again. The floats on these were involved in a service bulletin for RT's a year or two earlier than your bike. One guy was getting faults and his bike does not have a float, that was a funny thread. I believe it is on the right forward side, going to be the only piece with the two bolt little flange.
13 62 7 673 502 OIL LEVELLING SWITCH $93.83

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Beech -

Thanks very much. Good advice, and confirms my examination of possible location. I was REALLY hoping it was not under the front cover :dance:

Part number confirmed - going for the float,clips, and o-ring, too. They're cheap and I am a firm believer in replacing the "disposables" on a fix like this.

Brian

·
Registered
616 Posts
In case of sensor failure messages, I always check the wiring prior to replacing the sensor.
Wiring can get damaged, bad continuity can arise in connectors. in the latter case, it is possible that
the sensor is replaced with good result, while the original one wasn't broken, since manipulating
a connector will often cure a bad contact. This may have nothing to do with this particular problem,
it is just a rule I apply to attack such problems in general.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts