BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After 9 glorious years and 80K miles on my '99 K1200LT, I popped for a new one today. The '99 is still a great ride, so I've been waiting for a new platform with a new engine, fixes and features. Three things changed my mind.

1. The '99 has done everything I've asked it in performance, reliability and comfort. If the '08 is at least it's equal, I'll be very happy.
2. I recently did rear seal change on the '99 and had the bike in pieces. It's no long the great mechanical mystery it was. I like riding something I can understand, fix and troubleshoot.
3. Bargain. I got a nice discount but I'm amazed to consider the price in Euros. I happily paid $16900 + 475 in March, 1999 for the no frills Icon. The dollar was worth 1.2 Euros then. 17375 x 1.2 = 20850 Euros. Today I paid the equivalent of 13577 Euros for the '08 with all the goodies. I don't see how BMW can keep sending them forever to the USA at that price. Besides, my old luggage fits.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Richdude said:
3. Bargain. I got a nice discount but I'm amazed to consider the price in Euros. I happily paid $16900 + 475 in March, 1999 for the no frills Icon. The dollar was worth 1.2 Euros then. 17375 x 1.2 = 20850 Euros. Today I paid the equivalent of 13577 Euros for the '08 with all the goodies. I don't see how BMW can keep sending them forever to the USA at that price. Besides, my old luggage fits.
Interesting observation! Sounds like you got a great deal for your '08 too if your out the door price was at or near $20k (U.S.) without trading your '99. Congratulations!

·
Registered
293 Posts
I have heard a rumour that the LT will be discontinued during 2008 ... that is the main reason why I am busy buying a new one now ... wonder what will come after it?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Parts guy at local dealership said the plan is to release a redesigned, lighter version of the LT for 2010. The 2008 and 2009 models would remain essentially unchanged.

·
Registered
231 Posts
It is a poor seller with reagard to the RT and since I traded my LT for an RT I understand why. Even with all the folks who say you just have to learn how to handle the bike an alarming 70% still drop it. The RT has wonderful wind protection as is much more fun to ride. I don't think the LT will ever be a great seller until it sheds some pounds and gets a lower center of gravity.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Billy said:
It is a poor seller with reagard to the RT and since I traded my LT for an RT I understand why. Even with all the folks who say you just have to learn how to handle the bike an alarming 70% still drop it. The RT has wonderful wind protection as is much more fun to ride. I don't think the LT will ever be a great seller until it sheds some pounds and gets a lower center of gravity.
All true, perhaps. So how do you like bumping helmets with your passenger on that RT? Were it not for the inadequate room for 2 people, I'd have one too.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Seriously?

Billy said:

Is this bike really that unstable?

·
Registered
65 Posts
It's not unstable it just has a high center of gravity. The bike handles like a dream.

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
bjoseph said:
Is this bike really that unstable?
No and it's not really top heavy either. It's just heavy. It's not for everyone but certainly the preferred bike for two-up touring. Oh, you can ride two-up on an RT or a GT but as the saying goes "Could you fire a ballistic missile horizontally? Sure, why would you want to?"

·
Cooler on the east coast!!!
1,243 Posts
Richard I trust the 08' will serve you as well if not better then your 99', enjoy your new ride :D

·
Registered
40 Posts
Heavy

Tallyho said:
No and it's not really top heavy either. It's just heavy. It's not for everyone but certainly the preferred bike for two-up touring. Oh, you can ride two-up on an RT or a GT but as the saying goes "Could you fire a ballistic missile horizontally? Sure, why would you want to?"
It might be heavy but not comparatively speaking. It's 50lbs lighter than a Harley Ultra Classic.

·
Cooler on the east coast!!!
1,243 Posts
Richard it seem that moving from a 99' to an 08' is the thing to do, John has done the same thing.
I need to talk with my wife when she gets home :D

·
Premium Member
438 Posts
Richdude said:
...I got a nice discount but I'm amazed to consider the price in Euros. I happily paid $16900 + 475 in March, 1999 for the no frills Icon. The dollar was worth 1.2 Euros then. 17375 x 1.2 = 20850 Euros. Today I paid the equivalent of 13577 Euros for the '08 with all the goodies. I don't see how BMW can keep sending them forever to the USA at that price. Besides, my old luggage fits.
SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!! :think:

13577Euro @.681/$ = $19937. A bargin here...

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
bjoseph said:
It might be heavy but not comparatively speaking. It's 50lbs lighter than a Harley Ultra Classic.
Personally, I am not convinced the LT has a higher center of gravity than the RT or the GSA when its full of gas. Nothing beats the low CG on air-cooled Harleys especially the baggers.

·
Registered
3 Posts
hi i am to get my 08 tomorrow it is my first one i had a honda st1300 for the last 4 years . i hope the LT will serve me as good .Can you tell me how they handle in the wind please

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Hi Eamon, welcome to the forum. The LT can get a bit twitchy in side gusts over 60mph(wind speed, not bike speed) - most of the time, just relax, light grip on the bars, let the bike move a bit under you, don't try to fight it and it handles beautifully.

·
Registered
6,424 Posts
+2 on what Woolly said.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts