BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My '08 K1200 LT, 24000 miles, has a problem with intercom operation that baffles me. The bike is equipped with VOICE II, and I bought it from a dealer as a one-owner trade at 20,000 miles. The headsets (BMW, J&M) are new, recently installed in our helmets. The headsets and helmet mic wiring have been checked, and the coiled connecting cords are new, and check out fine.

The problem is that the passenger intercom only works intermittently. Rider unit works fine with radio, BMW Nav IV commands, etc. The rider mic input goes through the rider's headset (annoying). The passenger can't hear the rider mic input. Intermittently, the passenger's mic input is heard with static by the rider. Additionally, today riding with passenger and both headsets plugged in, as I hit the horn button to alert a sloppy cager, the horn triggered loud static and hum through both headsets.

How do I start trouble-shooting this problem? I am reluctant to pay the dealer tech $99/hour to try to figure this out, but the system is worthless at the moment.

I've even thought of abandoning the wired intercom and installing a Bluetooth system compatible with the Nav IV unit and wireless headsets. The money spent on the dealer's tech may offset much of the cost of the switch.

Can anyone help me get started on this problem? Thanks for any advice that can be given.

·
Premium Member
7,859 Posts
mtndave said:
My '08 K1200 LT, 24000 miles, has a problem with intercom operation that baffles me. The bike is equipped with VOICE II, and I bought it from a dealer as a one-owner trade at 20,000 miles. The headsets (BMW, J&M) are new, recently installed in our helmets. The headsets and helmet mic wiring have been checked, and the coiled connecting cords are new, and check out fine.

The problem is that the passenger intercom only works intermittently. Rider unit works fine with radio, BMW Nav IV commands, etc. The rider mic input goes through the rider's headset (annoying). The passenger can't hear the rider mic input. Intermittently, the passenger's mic input is heard with static by the rider. Additionally, today riding with passenger and both headsets plugged in, as I hit the horn button to alert a sloppy cager, the horn triggered loud static and hum through both headsets.

How do I start trouble-shooting this problem? I am reluctant to pay the dealer tech $99/hour to try to figure this out, but the system is worthless at the moment.

I've even thought of abandoning the wired intercom and installing a Bluetooth system compatible with the Nav IV unit and wireless headsets. The money spent on the dealer's tech may offset much of the cost of the switch.

Can anyone help me get started on this problem? Thanks for any advice that can be given.
These are tough ones.

The main problem I had at first was trying to use a headset other than the genuine BMW unit. I had no luck and had to return the headset and spend the $$$ for the BMW units. Once I had the BMW headsets and the appropriate BMW connecting cables, things started working pretty well. I did have to experiment with the mic sensitivity settings for a while, but once I got those dialed in things worked pretty well.

The fact that you are getting static and intermittent sound suggests that you have a loose connection somewhere or that something isn't wired correctly.

Are you sure you have the BMW compatible headsets and also the BMW compatible connecting cords? Without those, good performance is unlikely.

If you are sure you are good there, then you probably have to pull the stingray and check all of the connections per the VOICE II installation manual.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Can you advise where you bought the headsets and connecting cords? The cords are made specific for various bike communication systems. If the Voice II on the bike works normal in every other way, I would say you have the wrong connecting cords. Count the number of pins to the connections on the cords. I will have to check mine but I believe they should be 8 pin cords.

I would also check the connections at the ear piece and along the wire on the headset.

Let us know how you make out, and good luck.

Mugz

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The headsets and connecting cords were ordered and shipped from BMW through Bob's BMW. They have the BMW part numbers and J&M logo.

These are 6-pin, 5 in circular pattern, 1 in the center.

I will recheck all connections. The helmet mic is on a flexible wire attachment, not a boom. We use them on modular helmets.

·
Premium Member
1,502 Posts
You mention the passenger intercom "works intermittently". I assume you're aware the VOX can be adjusted on the unit? Your other symptoms didn't appear to be VOX related, but thought I would mention this just to make sure you're aware of the VOX sensitivity adjustment.

·
Registered
63 Posts
pickerbiker said:
You mention the passenger intercom "works intermittently". I assume you're aware the VOX can be adjusted on the unit? Your other symptoms didn't appear to be VOX related, but thought I would mention this just to make sure you're aware of the VOX sensitivity adjustment.
I have a 07 LT and have a simular problem. It helped a lot to lube all connections with a small amount of die-electric grease. Most of the time I ride solo, When my wife does ride, the intercom is not needed.

lemdav

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Does anyone know where to access the VOICE II Installation Manual? I have the owner's manual, but this is operational only, no installation. I have not yet found it on this forum.

Many thanks!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts