BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Enjoy The Ride
3,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I going to install a HID high & low beam system in a 07 RT. How many H7 bulbs does it take? I was told there are two low beam bulbs. Also has anyone used the 55 watt system or should I play it safe and use the 35 watt system?.

·
Registered
102 Posts
3 bulbs, but another option would be just to do the low beams and add a mild overwattage bulb to the high (I have a 65 watt Osram in the high to go with my HID lows). The reason is that I have read is that frequent on-off switching that would tend to occur with high beams is not healthy for the ballast. If you feel you need more light you can always add the high later on or what I did was add a set of Hella micro DE HID driving lights under the mirrors that are slaved to the high beam when they are turned on. If I anticipate a lot of switching on and off I leave the driving lights off.
BTW all 4 of my ballasts are under the dash. I do not have the radio option.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
stepheg said:
3 bulbs, but another option would be just to do the low beams and add a mild overwattage bulb to the high (I have a 65 watt Osram in the high to go with my HID lows). The reason is that I have read is that frequent on-off switching that would tend to occur with high beams is not healthy for the ballast. If you feel you need more light you can always add the high later on or what I did was add a set of Hella micro DE HID driving lights under the mirrors that are slaved to the high beam when they are turned on. If I anticipate a lot of switching on and off I leave the driving lights off.
BTW all 4 of my ballasts are under the dash. I do not have the radio option.
I put HID in my low beams only also. HID is really not the best for high beam, since it rtakes a few seconds for the Xenon gas to fully ignite, you don't get instantaneous full on when you switch to high beam. It slowly amps up to full output. Kinda of limits your ability to flash your high beam and a lot of on & off is not good for the ballast or the bulbs as stated.

The higher watage high beam Halogen maybe a good option but consider the additional heat it might put out that could damage other parts. As far as the wattage goes the 35 watt systems put out 3x the light at 20 less watts then the stock bulb.

More important then the wattage is the Kelvin rating. don't go above 6K and 5 k is probably better. Higher Kelvin ratings bevome more & more blue with less light output the higher you go up the scale.

I have Clearwater Geknda HLeds mounted on low on my forks

·
Enjoy The Ride
3,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the answers. It's not my bike so I'll play it safe & install the 35 watt to keep the heat down. I have the 8000 in my LT & It's a little to blue & I'll either do the 5000 or 6000 in this bike I'll let the owner decide. Thanks for the tip on the location for the ballast. :thumb:

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
saddleman said:
Thanks for the answers. It's not my bike so I'll play it safe & install the 35 watt to keep the heat down. I have the 8000 in my LT & It's a little to blue & I'll either do the 5000 or 6000 in this bike I'll let the owner decide. Thanks for the tip on the location for the ballast. :thumb:
I am not sure you need to worry about the heat on the 55 watt HID's I breleive they still run cooler then a stock Halogen. What may be more important is Amp headroom of the alternator if you are using other accessories. One big advantage of the HIDs

it was the higher watt High beam Halogen that the heat concerrned me!

·
Registered
102 Posts
I would agree with the concern from the overwattage high beam which is why I choose a small increase from the standard 55 watt. I have found the 65 watt Osram can run all day without problems, have used it from day 1. Good luck

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
saddleman said:
4300 will give better coverage and is closer to day light.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
I think 5K to 6k is still the way to go.

4300 is pretty yellow.

I had the Yana Shiki kit installed by the local BMW dealer.

2 reasons, they sell it (and stand behind it & they installed it and stand behind it!) My bike is still under warranty. Didn't want to give BMW any out if a major ZFE/Canbus component failed.

My 6k show up on a wall or the street in bright sunlight! Unreal!

Check out their chart.

http://www.yanashiki.com/category_s/962.htm

I have the H7 premium kit 6k

http://www.yanashiki.com/product_p/hidh7-6k.htm

·
Enjoy The Ride
3,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I do a fair amount of group riding & the the 6000 seems to be the most visible over the 5000 in the daylight when I look in my mirrors. Night time ridding I can't tell much difference between the 5000 & 6000.

·
Registered
322 Posts
saddleman said:
Also has anyone used the 55 watt system or should I play it safe and use the 35 watt system?.
I tell ya, 35watt 5000k or 6000k Hids are seriously bright. 55watt ones will just burn holes in the cages :)

·
Registered
221 Posts
I've got the "1offmotorsports" kit in my 09 RT ... 35 watts and 5000K. This produces a significant amount of light to see by after dark, very important in the forests of the Sierras. And riding up behind other vehicles, even the LEOs around Tahoe, they don't seem to cause anyone issues in their mirrors either by day or by night. For additional daytime conspicuity I've got the Motolights with the LED MR16 bulbs from Motolight with the 10 degree beam spread. They are VERY visible in the 10 degree cone, almost annoying, but unnecessary at night.

BTW, "1offmotorsports" is an excellent company to work with. I had a very intermittent problem with the right low beam shutting down and setting a fault. "1off" worked with me to diagnose the issue, intermittent as it was. Turns out a replacement ballast with the Can-bus module resolved the issue. Interesting that the left low beam has never had a issue without the Can-bus module. There must be some residual "Lucas Prince of Darkness" European electronic gremlin in the bikes electronics.

Commercial ... I am extremely pleased with the product, AND the level of support from Zach and the crew at "1offmotosports" and highly recommend them for your HID needs and/or wants.

Stan Moore
Lake Tahoe
09RT

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts