BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
had the bike on charger all winter and even rode 2 months ago with no problems. now bike wont start although all lights function while engine not turning over. i've never had a problem with any other bike starting after winter even when not using a charger. i hate this bike and don't care about how good the handling is. i would rather have a bike that starts and has a comfortable seat and is reliable. (think gold wing). i hate bmw piece of junk

·
Premium Member
7,795 Posts
duuuuuuuude... when should I come by to carry off that trash for you?

my bid is $5 US dollars...

Since the lights are bright, horn honks, I'll wager bike's still in gear? When you hit the "starter" button the lights should turn OFF. If that's not happenning, check the gear, sidestand, "run" switch, Reverse.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
I'll doubble the Deacon's bid. And I will buy you a cup of coffee while you sign the title over to me at the local Starbucks. Just let me know a good time.

Or how about an even swap for my 99 including a battery tender? Started on first hit after 14 month in storage.

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,158 Posts
jonandcheryl said:
had the bike on charger all winter and even rode 2 months ago with no problems. now bike wont start although all lights function while engine not turning over. i've never had a problem with any other bike starting after winter even when not using a charger. i hate this bike and don't care about how good the handling is. i would rather have a bike that starts and has a comfortable seat and is reliable. (think gold wing). i hate bmw piece of junk
Before selling the bike for a low-low price to the 2 fine gentlemen who made you a generous offer, have you first checked the obvious reasons why the bike did not start?

- Kill switch
- Reverse knob in R position instead of F
- Bike NOT in Neutral and side stand down
- did you leave any of the newly installed farkles turned on and the key NOT in the "Lock" position

On the other hand you've got to love what you ride, and the BMW is not your cup of tea you definitely need to get the bike that does it for you.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
bike is in neutral, lights go off when starter button hit,just wont turn over. also wont go back on center stand.

·
Premium Member
1,431 Posts
jonandcheryl said:
bike is in neutral, lights go off when starter button hit,just wont turn over. also wont go back on center stand.
Then it must be in reverse:eek:

·
Registered
249 Posts
Before you sell it...

1. Check the shiffenflecker...not sure what its called in English, but thats the German word for it. Under the seat, it should NOT be engaged.

2. Check the fluids in the headlights. If they are low, which they probably are since it sat, the bike won't turn over till the fluid level is full. This keeps the headlights from over heating.

3. If you have checked both of those and it still wont turn over, you will have to blow into the tail pipe to reprime the vacuum capacitors. You can also use this technique to jumpstart the LT if the battery is weak or dead. Its more of a quick puff instead of a blow.

Try those and if it doesnt turn over then let me know, I have a bunch more ideas that you can try.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have a 08 LT and it did the same thing the other day. I had been working on the bike and left the key on for a short amount of time went to start the bike and nothing. The light were bright everything in neutral. I checked the battery voltage it said 11.12 volts. I hit the starter button and the voltage dropped to 10.5 volts. It must have some low voltage protection on the bike. I charged the battery for a couple of hours has been working since. It seems to me the battery has to be almost fully charged to work.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
I will raise wolfe's bid by $2.50

·
Premium Member
3,549 Posts
If you are plugging the battery charger into the cig lighter, they are well known to become corroded with the result that your charger isn't making an electrical connection.

Bob

·
Registered
86 Posts
Sounds like the bike may be disenbobjugated. Check the air gap discharge diode and test your electro absorption modulator, which is to the right of the transconductance amplifier. Hope this helps :eek2:

·
Registered
170 Posts
MY CLC did that after it was on the charger for a couple of weeks. I had also
just rode it a week before. Ended up the charger was bad and it was new from a BMW dealer. My lights also dimmed when starting. I hear Gold Wings have batteries too. Hope it sonething simple.

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
Battery tender directly to the battery?

Don't forget - you can't use the battery tender through a powerlet plug on this model. The Canbus will shut it down, so you don't get a charge at all. Battery tender must be connected to the battery.

·
Cooler on the east coast!!!
1,243 Posts
jonandcheryl said:
How much can I get it for :)

On a serious note I am sure you are frustrated but it is a great bike.

If you give more information I am sure your concerns would be addressed and resolve.
Good luck on whatever decision you make.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
wow - good thing Michigan votes aren't gonna count. :)

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Sounds like Harley is calling ya.....
I wont be cheap hows 3 grand? :D

Serious.. First off take a chill pill.. charge the battery or just buy a new one. then go ride.

·
BMW Guru
8,469 Posts
Re: Battery tender directly to the battery?

hallzee said:
Don't forget - you can't use the battery tender through a powerlet plug on this model. The Canbus will shut it down, so you don't get a charge at all. Battery tender must be connected to the battery.

Have to correct you there Brian. The K1200LT does not have a CAN-BUS electrical system. All years of LT's still use the more traditional wiring system and engine management.

You CAN charge the LT with the powerlet plug near the shift lever. You CAN NOT use the passenger plug on the trunk, that one is switched off with the key.

Wonder if the OP was using the trunk plug....

·
Premium Member
7,565 Posts
jonandcheryl said:
Then sell the damn thing and stop whining, you sissy mary.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
If all your 'switches' check out and you're not in reverse bear in mind that the newer starter relay by design will not allow the bike to try to start if the battery is low. This prevents the relay contacts from welding together, a common problem for the early bikes. Use a volt meter to check your battery voltage, if the battery is still good and charged you should read slightly over 12 volts depending on battery condition and state of charge. I forget what the minimum voltage is to allow a start attempt but if you see less than 12 volts you need to charge, possibly replace, the battery. A deeply discharged battery often will not be charged by a Battery Tender, you may need to use a standard charger (be careful not to over charge or over heat the battery with the larger charger). if you have a gell cell use a charger designed for it. You can always have your dealer check and/or charge the battery for you if you don't have the correct charger.

1 - 20 of 87 Posts