BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do the keys for the 2007 K1200LT have a chip in them, or is all that rubber just to keep you from placing it on a key ring? Need to have a spare made, don't want to get it through a dealer, if that is possible.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I have a 06LT and I just went to my local locksmith and he made me one up from a BMW car, the end is quite large but I figure its more to grab onto so it dont make the trip between the plastic like it did to me twice before with the smaller one. I still I need to clean out the twigs I used that broke off trying to get it out

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Brian, from another post a few months ago. I put one of these keys with the magnetic(?) alarm disabler in an inside pocket of each of my riding jackets.

Previous post: Ghaison, good news. You don't have to buy a BMW replacement key to have a spare. Go to your independent locksmith who will have an ILCO blank number X59 BMW2. Works great costs $3.00. The best news is that it is a flat key with no plastic crap on it so it's easy to carry/hide.

They also had blanks for my Hannigan sidecar. Same price.

Loren

·
Registered
25 Posts
I got my bike used & it had 2 of the hard plastic topped keys & 8 - yes 8 - flat cut spare keys. I thought that was an awful lot of spare keys. Then about a week later I had an envelope from the dealer in the mail. 6 more keys. For some reason the previous owner thought 14 was the appropriate number of spare keys to have on hand :)

Just thought that was amusing.

I wondered too why the OEM keys had that plastic top with no hole. Thought it would make a lot of sense to be able to attach the key to the alarm fob. But avoiding a keychain with other keys makes perfect sense (1) so it doesn't get jammed up in the handlebars & (2) so it doesn't scratch the heck out of the bike.

What would be nice would be if they made the fob with a cut out to insert the key so they could be one piece. Could come apart like a Mercedes-Benz key does.

·
Registered
912 Posts
BMW is very much against having any kind of key chain on the ignition key of the BMW for fear it will get caught up in the tupperware and bind the motion of the front wheel.

Bil

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the input I got the key made without a problem. I wasn't intending to put on a key chain, just wanted an extra.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts