BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
41 - 60 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
As you have already checked the switches on both levers, you can also checked them on the big connector on the abs module. Disconnect it from the abs module and check on the harness side:
Front lever: PIN 39 and PIN 40
Rear lever: PIN 41 and PIN 7
Test if there is continuity between them and open once you press the lever.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Sorry, too fast to write. I saw that you have already checked the switches on the ABS plug itself. Sorry to insist, but if you have already performed these test on the ABS big plug and you are confident with the result, than it looks the brain is in trouble. Sorry for the bad news. The brain is quite difficult to found because with the ABS-Ectomy, one has to keep the brain to continue to have the speedo and the brake light. Maybe you can have some luck with some electronic repair shops or technicians?

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
15,018 Posts
In the past Tyler has been able to fix iABS "brains" just not the hydraulics.

Reactions: MrDuhfactor

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
If the board has been swapped with one for a different bike, it will end with the same problem: motors on continuously.
If you have access to a GS911 it will give you the relevant information and more info about error if any.
If not, take a picture of the label and share it, if I can help. But only relevant if the board itself has not been separated from the case.
Are you saying that if I were to get a different ABS module from e-bay, that was originally in a 2005+ K1200LT, that the motors would run continuously, because it's in a different bike, even though it's the same model?

Thank you!

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
15,018 Posts
I am not sure what he was trying to say here as I don't think that would happen even if you swap in the wrong PN module board.

Be aware that either pressure input AND/OR brake switches will trigger servo operation, so the fault could also be in the pressure transducers.

Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Gas Font Cable

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
I am not sure what he was trying to say here as I don't think that would happen even if you swap in the wrong PN module board.

Be aware that either pressure input AND/OR brake switches will trigger servo operation, so the fault could also be in the pressure transducers.

View attachment 175570
Interesting..... Would that somehow affect the trigger to send voltage to the brake relay by chance?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
If the board has been swapped with one for a different bike, it will end with the same problem: motors on continuously.
If you have access to a GS911 it will give you the relevant information and more info about error if any.
If not, take a picture of the label and share it, if I can help. But only relevant if the board itself has not been separated from the case.
I'm struggling to get a picture of the label, it is right in between the ABS unit and something else that needs removing. I'll get a picture when I can get the time to disassemble it down to a point that I can get a decent picture. Thank you.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
I'm struggling to get a picture of the label, it is right in between the ABS unit and something else that needs removing. I'll get a picture when I can get the time to disassemble it down to a point that I can get a decent picture. Thank you.
In the 1st post of this tread, you said it was a 2007. So... should have this label / version on the ABS modulator - see photo below.
It is IMPORTANT to look at marking below white sticker to make sure you have "K1200LT" in 2nd line embossed in metal.

Most 2007-2009 (until end of production) have this last version "S2AB90039". Earlier years with iABS (with servos) can have a "S2AB90036" or "S2AB90037". I have never seen a "...038" on a K1200LT but it might be possible given this sequencing.

Nowhere will you find any documentation by BMW or FTE about the internal differences in these versions. The data is nowhere to be found... except maybe from a few users who may have done many post mortem analysis on these.

Font Motor vehicle Gas Auto part Number

Reactions: Cefoul

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
In the 1st post of this tread, you said it was a 2007. So... should have this label / version on the ABS modulator - see photo below.
It is IMPORTANT to look at marking below white sticker to make sure you have "K1200LT" in 2nd line embossed in metal.

Most 2007-2009 (until end of production) have this last version "S2AB90039". Earlier years with iABS (with servos) can have a "S2AB90036" or "S2AB90037". I have never seen a "...038" on a K1200LT but it might be possible given this sequencing.

View attachment 175575
Thank you!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Are you saying that if I were to get a different ABS module from e-bay, that was originally in a 2005+ K1200LT, that the motors would run continuously, because it's in a different bike, even though it's the same model?

Thank you!
Hi,

Sorry I was travelling without access to Internet.
To clarify my words: If one swap the board from a different model, the mismatch will raise an error and the internal motors will be on continously as soon as you turn the key ON.
A different model means from a K1200RS/GT or from a R1150xx or any other device with the similar I-ABS.
But if the board come from a K1200LT, no problem. The I-ABS board is NOT serialized with the bike itself.

Sorry for the confusion I have created.

And don't rely on the FTE numbers. for example you might found FTE S2AB90036 on the I-ABS module for a K1200RS/GT model and FTE S2AB90039 on the R1150RT I-ABS model.
As Jean wrote: "It is IMPORTANT to look at marking below white sticker to make sure you have "K1200LT" in 2nd line embossed in metal".

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
Hi,

Sorry I was travelling without access to Internet.
To clarify my words: If one swap the board from a different model, the mismatch will raise an error and the internal motors will be on continously as soon as you turn the key ON.
A different model means from a K1200RS/GT or from a R1150xx or any other device with the similar I-ABS.
But if the board come from a K1200LT, no problem. The I-ABS board is NOT serialized with the bike itself.

Sorry for the confusion I have created.

And don't rely on the FTE numbers. for example you might found FTE S2AB90036 on the I-ABS module for a K1200RS/GT model and FTE S2AB90039 on the R1150RT I-ABS model.
As Jean wrote: "It is IMPORTANT to look at marking below white sticker to make sure you have "K1200LT" in 2nd line embossed in metal".
Thank you for the clarification, that helps :)

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
So, I ordered a GS-911 scsane tool today, it should arrive next week hopefully, then I'll check the codes and see what comes up. I'm still pretty convinced like others have said that it is a computer board failure on the ABS module.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
15,018 Posts
Hope it was not a cheap one on e-bay as they are fakes/copies without sw.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
I received the high beam headlight assembly today, and yes, all of the remaining plugs I had no clue what to plug them into, are finally in their home. Thanks for the help so far folks....
Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting Hood
Tire Vehicle Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
Rectangle Blue Font Screenshot Line

Any chance a faulty ABS circuit could cause this error when trying to connect the GS-911 scan tool? It can't connect to the bike it seems. I tried the wireless method, and the connected cable method to a PC, both had the same outcome. I am looking for some help on their web site, but honestly, I can't see anything out of the ordinary in the wiring of the bike with a rough go over....However, I may need to trace everything......I'll look over the wiring diagram in the manual again to see if there is a link from the ABS unit and diagnostic plug.

·
Registered
420 Posts
It can be a pain to get it connected. I have found that if I read the engine ECU first, it will often then connect to the ABS. The GS-91 software is quite buggy in my opinion, it will not even remember more than one wireless SSID.

41 - 60 of 75 Posts