BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have have a 2006 K1200LT and just checked my Valves. I have four intake valves that are too tight for a .15mm feeler gauge. I pulled the cam and pulled the buckets. Three are 2.50 and one is 2.60. I am looking for a suggestion on what buckets I require for a required distance of .15mm. Dose anyone have extra buckets ?

Bill

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
15,169 Posts
Are you sure to did the measurement right? Also the smallest bucket available IS the 2.50 you cannot get one smaller so I don't know how you will get more clearance other than grinding the top of the valve stem. I suppose you could take the 2.50 buckets to a machine shop and have them ground to a 2.45. Maybe you are not reading the numbers correctly as I have NEVR seen one that thin in an LT usually they are up in the 2.90 to 2.85 range.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the information. I am pretty sure on the measurements but will recheck. I am not sure what to do now then ? Do you have any idea on how much metal is on the top of those buckets. I can measure I guess but seems funny this bike is that tight.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
15,169 Posts
Make sure you measured with the lobe points perpendicular to the face of the bucket. A 2.5 mm bucket has, at its thickest part, 0.0984 inches or 1/16 inch. But it is thinner as it gets out towards the edge. I once did a valve check on an LT and there were three intakes that were only 0.002" where the limit is 0.0059. The intakes are not prone to burning when tight like the exhaust valves are.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Rim Automotive wheel system

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Make sure you measured with the lobe points perpendicular to the face of the bucket. A 2.5 mm bucket has, at its thickest part, 0.0984 inches or 1/16 inch. But it is thinner as it gets out towards the edge. I once did a valve check on an LT and there were three intakes that were only 0.002" where the limit is 0.0059. The intakes are not prone to burning when tight like the exhaust valves are.

View attachment 176686
So that is measuring with the lobe away from the bucket ( back side ). I guess I don't understand why to do that.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok, so the other question is. Do you mean it is not as big a deal on the intake side if it is tight ?

·
Premium Member
7,905 Posts
So that is measuring with the lobe away from the bucket ( back side ). I guess I don't understand why to do that.
Because you want to measure the clearance with the valve fully closed. The best way to guarantee that is to have the lobe opposite the lifter. Most cams are round from lobe tangent to lobe tangent so if you are off a little it shouldn’t be a big deal, but it is easy to just be opposite so why not?

·
Premium Member
7,905 Posts
Ok, so the other question is. Do you mean it is not as big a deal on the intake side if it is tight ?
Yes, not as big a deal as the intake valve is sufficiently cooled by the incoming air. The exhaust valve has very hot gas blowing past it and needs contact with the valve seat to help transfer heat out of the valve lip. However, if the intake clearance goes away, you can get backfires from combustion gas blowing back up the intake and this will also burn the valve eventually, but you would have to ignore a lot of symptoms for that to happen. The exhaust valves will quietly burn to a crisp before the symptoms become obvious.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Because you want to measure the clearance with the valve fully closed. The best way to guarantee that is to have the lobe opposite the lifter. Most cams are round from lobe tangent to lobe tangent so if you are off a little it shouldn’t be a big deal, but it is easy to just be opposite so why not?

Morning, I put the cam back in and remeasured the clearances. Same result within a few mm. Now I'm thinking I have to take the head off.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I was using a .015mm feeler gauge and determine that the clearance is between .012 and .010 it that helps.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
15,169 Posts
I'm sorry but I don't see how you determined the clearance was 0.12 to 0.10 using a 0.15 gage . I could see that if the 0.10 fit easily but the 0.12 would not fit easily you could assume clearance was 0.11. I am still confused as to how you are taking your readings. The BEST way is to pull out the feeler you think it is and with an oily finger you should be able to easily slide the feeler through the gap.

·
Premium Member
7,905 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,905 Posts
I have have a 2006 K1200LT and just checked my Valves. I have four intake valves that are too tight for a .15mm feeler gauge. I pulled the cam and pulled the buckets. Three are 2.50 and one is 2.60. I am looking for a suggestion on what buckets I require for a required distance of .15mm. Dose anyone have extra buckets ?

Bill
How many miles on your LT?

·
Premium Member
7,905 Posts
Sorry clearances are .12 mm and .10mm. i was using a .15mm feeler gauge not .015mm
You can’t measure clearances smaller than the gauge you are using. The smallest gap you can accurately measure is 0.15 mm using a 0.15 mm feeler. Have you checked valve clearances before or is this your first time?

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
You can’t measure clearances smaller than the gauge you are using. The smallest gap you can accurately measure is 0.15 mm using a 0.15 mm feeler. Have you checked valve clearances before or is this your first time?
You an accomplish anything with the right sized hammer.

·
Premium Member
7,905 Posts

·
Premium Member
683 Posts
Bill, it sounds like you need to find one of the several videos on youtube to make SURE you get this right.
One of those, "don't ask me how I know"

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I'm sorry but I don't see how you determined the clearance was 0.12 to 0.10 using a 0.15 gage . I could see that if the 0.10 fit easily but the 0.12 would not fit easily you could assume clearance was 0.11. I am still confused as to how you are taking your readings. The BEST way is to pull out the feeler you think it is and with an oily finger you should be able to easily slide the feeler through the gap.
Bill, it sounds like you need to find one of the several videos on youtube to make SURE you get this right.
One of those, "don't ask me how I know"
Morning, I have checked YouTube and asked several experts. I have no idea why the clearances would be so close, but I think I will try to machine a bit off of the top of a the four buckets. To take the head off and machine the valve stems seems just as bad as machining a bucket. I wish I knew if the valve clearances have every been checked before. I am sure of my clearance checks so we'll see I guess. .10 mm is a very small amount.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts