BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It would appear that that the instrument lights on my '06 operate via a photoelectric cell.
Can anyone confirm that?
When the lights come on towards the end of the day I can actually read the computer section much clearer.
It is almost impossible to read during the day.
Has anyone wired the instrument panel lights so that they are always on when the key is on?

·
Miles of Smiles
1,054 Posts
Yes they do operate based on ambient light.
Plays havoc when traveling through tunnels.
Takes several seconds to react.

Sorry don't know about the electronics making this happen.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,178 Posts
Not an easy task as it is all on one complex circuit board.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
now that's interesting... a bit of down-under logic in the beast... who would have thought?

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Newport said:
I guess I cannot "adjust" that with say a 19mm spanner!

Just wondering, would taping over the "eye" bring the lights on bright all the time?

Robert

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
cws said:
now that's interesting... a bit of down-under logic in the beast... who would have thought?

Siemens is a German company and it would not surprise me much that Siemens has many components in BMW vehicles..

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,178 Posts
Newport said:
It is almost impossible to read during the day.
Even if the back lights were on during the day you would not notice it. The LCD display should be perfectly clear and readable in direct sunlight. I have put a piece of tape on my sensor and it is not noticable in day light. I can only tell it is lit if I shield it from the sun.

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
pauleknight said:
Siemens is a German company and it would not surprise me much that Siemens has many components in BMW vehicles..
I wasn't intrigued by it being a Siemens board, more that it was produced in Australia.
I would have thought the electronics boards would have all been German manufacture, or at least European.
It just gave me a little burst of pride that some Aussie manufacturing went it my all-time favourite vehicle :cool:

Probably not relevant to this particular problem, but I found this yesterday about dead pixels in BMW and other cars being caused by a faulty cable....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts