BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will the H11 5000K HID kit from cqlite.ca work as a replacement for my 2006 LT hibeam? Is there better light or a different one I should be using?

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
The high beam lamp unit of the '05 / '06 has standard an H9 halogen lamp. I don't think the H11 lamp base will fit.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
I was under the impression that a high beam HID didn't work too well, as if it is being turned on and off, from low to high, it didn't have enough time to get to full power, if I explain myself correctly.

Perhaps I am wrong.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I have read that some of the kits sold do not come with a relay but am told by the engineers at HID-Online it is wise to install a relay on your H-9 high beam (as well as the low beam) to protect against restart current draw on the bike's electrical system.

My HID high beam works fine and I can't imagine being without it. It does take 5-10 seconds to reach full brightness after shut off but that does not present much of an issue. IMHO most will gladly accept the minimal warm up period once they see how much light these things put out there.

·
IBR# 366
16,544 Posts
We have so far been unable to find HID bulbs in an H9 configuration. We have found that an H11 bulb fits into the H9 socket, with little or no modification to the bulb base.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
So, the base can be easily made to fit. But how about the focal point of the lamp, is that at the same point in the lampunit as the H9 lamp? In other words, does the light pattern change with the H11 based HID lamp?

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
®win said:
So, the base can be easily made to fit. But how about the focal point of the lamp, is that at the same point in the lampunit as the H9 lamp? In other words, does the light pattern change with the H11 based HID lamp?
Same focal point, just slightly different base keying. The keying was to keep people from putting the high wattage H9 bulbs into the H11 sockets. That makes no difference for HID though, they are all the same lumen output.

This is much the same as 9005 high beam vs 9006 low beam bulbs. Same basic bulb, 65 watts for the 9005, 55 watts for the 9006. People have been modifying the keys on 9005s to put them in the 9006 low beam sockets.

Just like cheap locks, they only keep the really honest people out. :D

·
Registered
163 Posts
HID Online

The high beam H9 is available from HID-Online. Mine has been installed, but I have not driven at night (yet!). I will post a complete farkle update after bringing my bike home. Finally!!!!! It is now spring in the Colorado mountains - this winter, we've had 34' of champagne powder on our ski mountain and I've been keeping my new bike at my son's house, near Denver....

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
HI beam is great

Let me be one of the many who tell you HID is the way to go.

Yeah, it takes about 5 secs for the bulb to come all the way up but it throws a beam of light down the road that you just won't believe.:eek:

We finally got out the other night and I said to Lindy, "Watch this".
Turned on the hi beam and she just about freaked out...It was at least 10 times more light than the old one and threw down the road a good half a mile....
She thought alien's were behind us..:abduct:

It's the shiznit...fashizzle.....;)

John

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am disappointed in my HiBeam HID. My lowbeam is brighter and my Micro DE Xenon flat scortchs the earth when they are on.

You can't even tell the HiBeam is on while riding.. I am wonding if its wired right or just the wrong temp.

John, we will have to get together soon so I can ge your opinion on it.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Donald, If it's an HID already, maybe it's just aimed too high and not hitting the road at the load setting you're using. Shoot it on the garage door some night and see how it's aimed....

Let me know what you figure out...Can't believe that it's an HID and not really throwing down the road...

John

·
IBR# 366
16,544 Posts
Donald,

Do you have the factory HID on your '06? I believe that's HID low beam only, but with a standard halogen high beam.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
John it was raining here today so couldnt check the beam. I will tomorrow night.

I do have the factory HID for lowbeam and I had the H11 5000K from cqlight.ca? installed as a highbeam. 5000k IMHO is too hot. Does anyone know the temp on the factory lowbeam? I am guessing around 4200 - 4300?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts