BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me how much to cut off the tupperware and which panel(s) for the front to fit? Also where does the heated backrest plug in if my Y2K has the wiring?

Thanks, Robert

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
I had to take off almost the entire lip right around, also had to cut of the angled steel brackets each side, then drill plastic and relocate the screws from the bracket to hold the plastic together that was a later model to go my 02.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks Linton! That is exactly what I needed. It looks like you left about 3/8" to 1/2". Looks like you cut the brackets through the middle of the hole. I assume you put a nut and washer to hold the panels together. Did I guess right?

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Linton! That is exactly what I needed. It looks like you left about 3/8" to 1/2". Looks like you cut the brackets through the middle of the hole. I assume you put a nut and washer to hold the panels together. Did I guess right?
Just looked again, did you use a wellnut? I did find the heated backrest plug under the left rear speaker.

Robert

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
The bracket I cut below the lip but it wont matter if it's the same height.
no well nut, just removed the speed nut thingy from the original location and refitted it to the lower edge, marked and drilled the holes to line up. I used a 2mm cutting disc on the bracket and used the same blade on the plastic it cuts like butter, but you are able to control it like a grinder. well done on the heater wire, I think I have used my heated seat once since 2002,

·
Registered
158 Posts
Robert,
All looks too hard. Just ship it down under and I can fit it to my bike sans mods. You can then keep an eye out for a unit suited to your bike.. Just saying!!!

Brian

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Robert,
All looks too hard. Just ship it down under and I can fit it to my bike sans mods. You can then keep an eye out for a unit suited to your bike.. Just saying!!!

Brian
Thanks for the offer Brian. I believe that I will suffer through.

I would like to get back to OZ and tour the country. I've only seen the eastern half and need to see the rest.

Robert

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The bracket I cut below the lip but it wont matter if it's the same height.
no well nut, just removed the speed nut thingy from the original location and refitted it to the lower edge, marked and drilled the holes to line up. I used a 2mm cutting disc on the bracket and used the same blade on the plastic it cuts like butter, but you are able to control it like a grinder. well done on the heater wire, I think I have used my heated seat once since 2002,

Thanks again Linton. I won't get to work on it till weekend after next. Gotta see the grandson (6 mos.). I have used mine several times but usually on low.

Robert

1 - 8 of 8 Posts