BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone heard anything about the great non working CB installed on our 2005 LTs, Maybe a date for a fix?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,408 Posts
Reno said:
Anyone heard anything about the great non working CB installed on our 2005 LTs, Maybe a date for a fix?
Expect it VERY, very soon -- apparently a new lower headset cable with some magic mod which kills the mic-induced interference. Already coming down the pipeline -- days or weeks, not months.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Fix addition

mneblett said:
Expect it VERY, very soon -- apparently a new lower headset cable with some magic mod which kills the mic-induced interference. Already coming down the pipeline -- days or weeks, not months.
Another part of "The Fix" is to make sure the CB part number ends in 074. This must be a particular board revision.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The Fix

Thanks for the heads up on this one.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
588 Posts
mneblett said:
Expect it VERY, very soon -- apparently a new lower headset cable with some magic mod which kills the mic-induced interference. Already coming down the pipeline -- days or weeks, not months.
I installed a VoiceII and the dealer could not get the lower cords because BMW is having them redesigned to fix the CB issue. Thankfully my service technician loaned me his two cords until mine come in. Very nice of him.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks

Just today I was talking to Sierra BMW and they also said the same thing hope it is sooner than later
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
34 Posts
Have been talking with dealer but they don't have any date for the change.
Also talked to BMW Customer Service and they said that they are working on the fix but did not have any date. The first time I ask them about this was in Sept 05 and have talked to them several time with the same answer. Again in Dec 27,05 with the same answer. Guess they do not have anything working. About ready to send it all back and look some place else.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,272 Posts
jerrywritebol said:
Have been talking with dealer but they don't have any date for the change.
Also talked to BMW Customer Service and they said that they are working on the fix but did not have any date. The first time I ask them about this was in Sept 05 and have talked to them several time with the same answer. Again in Dec 27,05 with the same answer. Guess they do not have anything working. About ready to send it all back and look some place else.
I would also like BMW to "buy back" my CB and VOICE II so I can purchase one of the aftermarket units that actually works, probably the J& M. Having read you comment in the quote above I have to ask, Has BMW or your dealer offered to take your radio back and refund your cash?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
34 Posts
I have talked with them about this but have not requested any refund or any thing from them. If we do not get something soon may ask for that. In talking with J&M, the CB maker they do not have anything to work with the voice II unit either.Hope this helps you.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,272 Posts
Update On My 05 Cb

Last Thur I took my bike over to Daytona BMW and ask them to look at the nonworking CB. They of course denied any knowledge of a wide spread problem and said they would take a look. They put their electrical expert on the job promptly. About an hour and a half later they told me that they couldn't see anything obvious that would cause the problem that I was having but because I installed the VOICE II and CB myself the only way they could continue is if I allowed them to un-install all of it and then reinstall it. After that it would be covered by warranty. I said,"YEA right-just go ahead and button it back up" or something like that. They said OK and oh by the way you owe us $118 just for looking! So, as soon as I have a few days in a row available, in about a week, my plan is to remove the "BMW" CB and attempt to take the old Clarion CB/Intercom that I had on my '99 and create a jumper that I hope will tie the CB portion of the old unit into the VOICE II in a manner similar to the new CB. I've already tested the old unit as a stand alone when wired into the bike and know it works. So, if I'm successful, I should be able to determine if the noise problem with the new unit is a problem with the CB or the VOICE II. Of course sometimes my brilliant ideas aren't always successful. So, stay tuned and I'll let ya'll know how I make out.
 

·
Registered
K1200lt 2005
Joined
·
244 Posts
Lynn_Keen said:
Last Thur I took my bike over to Daytona BMW and ask them to look at the nonworking CB. They of course denied any knowledge of a wide spread problem and said they would take a look. They put their electrical expert on the job promptly. About an hour and a half later they told me that they couldn't see anything obvious that would cause the problem that I was having but because I installed the VOICE II and CB myself the only way they could continue is if I allowed them to un-install all of it and then reinstall it. After that it would be covered by warranty. I said,"YEA right-just go ahead and button it back up" or something like that. They said OK and oh by the way you owe us $118 just for looking! So, as soon as I have a few days in a row available, in about a week, my plan is to remove the "BMW" CB and attempt to take the old Clarion CB/Intercom that I had on my '99 and create a jumper that I hope will tie the CB portion of the old unit into the VOICE II in a manner similar to the new CB. I've already tested the old unit as a stand alone when wired into the bike and know it works. So, if I'm successful, I should be able to determine if the noise problem with the new unit is a problem with the CB or the VOICE II. Of course sometimes my brilliant ideas aren't always successful. So, stay tuned and I'll let ya'll know how I make out.
Hi Lynn,
I to am having problem with my J&M (Dealer installed CB) like others very short transmition range. Now after a visit to one of my local BMW DEALERS Extreme Motorcycles a 69.00 charge I now have no transmit at all. (Thanks guys) I ask its this not a warranty issue? Sorry not a factory install ! Give me a break. Next question I ask "What the name and number for BMW area rep."

I'm now waiting on that call back. So you problem is not a dealer install my problem is a dealer install but, I'm 500 miles away. I think this along with the rest of my experience with this dealer would be a great negative dealer post!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
460 Posts
A couple of us up here in the Great North have 05 bikes and a desire to install CB units. One of us has a VoiceII (me) and the other guy has the J&M BC3. I've been avidly reading all the discussions on problems with the BMW CB unit on the VoiceII equipped bikes and if anyone has a unit working well, I'd REALLY like to hear about it. As I understand it, if you have the BC3 - its a slam dunk no-brainer. The other option I've been considering given the problems with the BMW CB is a handheld like the Cobra HH 38 WXST. Anyone using one of these with a VoiceII and if so, are you running it through the FRS inputs of the VoiceII or the actual CB input. Actually, lets make this even easier, who's got an 05 or later bike with a VoiceII installed and a working CB? If you could add to this thread or send me a PM and let me know what and how you've installed yours, that be great. If anyone has the install manual for the BMW CB unit, I'd REALLY love a copy of it so I can see if there is anything that can be done to help with the transmit problem.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
460 Posts
One more thing, if anyone has any confirmed part numbers of lower cables, specific CB unit part numbers, etc that are known to work, that'd be great to post as well. The start of this thread mentions a part number for the CB, but that was a couple of months ago and it may have been updated. I also am not sure what the lower cord part number is.

Thanks in advance.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,272 Posts
The BMW Part Numbers for the new and correct lower cables are; 71600412989 and 71600413232. One is for the rider and the other is for the passenger. Unfortunately I don't remember which is which. The only difference is that one is longer than the other. There are at least a few '05's out there with working VOICE II's and BMW CB's. I have seen at least 2. Unfortunately mine is not one of them. I have talked to my dealer and BMW Motorad (USA) and have been told by both repeatedly that since I installed the radio they will not honor the warranty. I think that stinks but at this point there's not much I can do about it. It all comes back to my dealer who is obviously unwilling to stick up for me and help me out. OH well, seems to be a sign of the times.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
460 Posts
Thanks Lynn

That's what I was looking for - confirmation that the CB CAN work with an 05 and VoiceII. Thanks also for the part numbers. Its too bad your's has issues. I'm wondering if the revision number of the VoiceII has anything to do with it. I've seen a few posts that lead me to suspect the first batch of VoiceII intercomms had issues.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
567 Posts
Cb

Hey Linn After about 8 monthes of trying to get my CB fixed they found that connector for the ant. that screws into the radio(there are 3 cables,1 that come from the radio thru the handle bar cover,1 that comes from there to underneath the seat,and 1 from underneath the seat to the ant.) had pulled apart. Don't try to take the ant. apart at the mast. After they replace that middle cable it worked. May not be your problem but that's how they fixed mine.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,272 Posts
Thanks for the suggestions guys. Unfortunately I do have the later issue VOICE II and I'm not using the BMW antenna. I have a FIRESTISK CB antenna that I used on my '99 and it worked just fine on that bike.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
740 Posts
James,

I have a friend in the area with your same setup ('05, VOICE II, CB, etc.,in fact one of the two Lynn was referring to), who about pulled out what little hair he had left at the time trying to resolve the very same issue and finally did. Different lower cords did the trick if I'm not mistaken. His username is jern...real name is Bob Jernigan...and you might send him a PM to discuss. He is extremely knowledgable and savvy on this subject, having gone through it himself.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
460 Posts
Thanks - I'll do that. I just wanted to know before I dumped a bunch of money into it that the problem has been addressed or is resolvable.
 
1 - 20 of 35 Posts
Top