BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking @ an 05 with <2000 miles. Individual seller. Dealer serviced. Never dropped, wrecked and rarely ridden. Comes with what is visible and two com-wired helmets. Bought new March 05. NADA = $14200, KBB= $14900.

Anything to be on the lookout for when inspecting this model year bike?
What is a fair price to negotiate toward??

Thanks,
Mike

Attachments

·
Registered
62 Posts
What is the asking price? NADA and KBB give a fair estimate of retail and trade in value. I assume the prices you are quoting are for retail as I did not look it up myself. Therefore, retail is what you would expect to pay as a ballpark figure, but depending on mileage and farkles you might expect to pay more or less than retail exponentially with a lot of farkles and few miles and inversely with little or no farkles and high miles.

That said, if the owner is asking for only retail then you have a good deal given the low miles and dealer maintenance. He might be asking for more, and depending on how much more, it could still be a good deal. I bought an '05 from a dealer in May of last year. 4800 miles and I gave $17,500. It had some farkles like passenger armrests, floorboards, and a few others, plus a Garmin thrown into the mix. Not a steal, but still a fair deal.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,128 Posts
Mike,

In the PM when you said between MS and Moulton I was going to guess Town Creek.

Since she has been on the road since March of 05 with only 2k on her and the normal service interval is 6K - ask if the annuals have been done. This is the flushing of the brake and clutch fluids. Very important given the local humidity. If not don't fret but use that as a barganing tool, then bring it over and we'll clean er out.

With the bike on the center stand check for any play in the rear wheel, there should be none. Spin it and aside from a little brake drag it should be smooth. Followed by the normal "look for anything that looks like it has been leaking" and you should be good to go. Let me know if you want a second opinion, I am always iching for a ride.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I bought my 2005 LT with 4,000 miles and an extended warranty for $14,000 one month ago. So far, so good.

VicL

·
Registered
8 Posts
Just bought my 05 w/ 9200 miles in October in Pa from dealer. $13.5 Full records, cover, couple of other farkels that will come in useful such as case inserts. Great bike and I got lucky. I went from RS to RT to Lt in the last 3 years and love this bike... Great choice... original owner even left me a note with his phone number in case of any questions i might have.

thanks to all of you for all the great info on this site.

·
Registered
938 Posts
Seems like the mileage is pretty low. That bike must have been sitting for an extended period of time. Seals don't like sitting without running. So they may not last long in the engine or transmission and need to be replaced at big bucks !!!! If the bike still has a warranty, and you are going to buy it, I would recommend getting an extended warranty immediately to be sure. My '03 had 800 miles when I bought it in '05 and the seals needed to be done at about 25K..

Forewarned is forearmed.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Sounds like a good deal.I ride a 2005 Lt and enjoy every moment. Buy the SOB and don't listen to all those negitive people out there

·
Registered
163 Posts
My advice is to buy it!!!

·
Cooler on the east coast!!!
1,243 Posts
If you do decide to buy it you will love it, not sure if it is a deal or not.

·
Registered
938 Posts
jvalny said:
Sounds like a good deal.I ride a 2005 Lt and enjoy every moment. Buy the SOB and don't listen to all those negitive people out there
It may sound negative, but it happened to me. I am just relaying my experience !!!

It sounds like a wonderful bike and I love my LT.. Just get an extended warranty !!!!

Good luck..

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts