BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2005 RT that I bought a few months ago now has 3300 miles.
I changed the oil when I got it at 2000 miles.
When I changed the oil, I filled it to the centre of the circle.
In the last 1300 miles, it has dropped down to the bottom of the circle.
Is that amount of oil consumption normal for 1300 miles of riding?

·
Registered
67 Posts
I'm no expert, but with the low mileage on your bike, I'd say that amount of consumption is not unusual. The motor is a long way from being broken in. My 05 used oil until about 28,000 miles, when it stopped using entirely. My advice is to keep the oil from getting low and ride it hard. I believe the oil usage will decrease in another 10-15K miles or so.

Just my thoughts...

·
Registered
The Villages, FL
2,601 Posts
Hopefully you did not put in synthetic oil. This will make it worst until the motor is broken in. I would ride the heck out of it. You should see the consumption go down by 8k miles.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
mtrevelino said:
Hopefully you did not put in synthetic oil. This will make it worst until the motor is broken in. I would ride the heck out of it. You should see the consumption go down by 8k miles.
Using 20W 50 mineral as stated by the manual, so not doing anything wrong.
As long as the consumption is normal, thats ok then!

·
Registered
127 Posts
corrcullen said:
My 2005 RT that I bought a few months ago now has 3300 miles.
I changed the oil when I got it at 2000 miles.
When I changed the oil, I filled it to the centre of the circle.
In the last 1300 miles, it has dropped down to the bottom of the circle.
Is that amount of oil consumption normal for 1300 miles of riding?
The bottom of the circle to the top of the circle is 1/2 quart. Since you filled the oil after the oil change to only the middle of the circle, you're only down 1/4 of a quart. The maximum allowable burn rate, per BMW, is one quart per 1,000 miles. You're burning less than 1/4 of the allowable; you're in good shape.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Regardless of the chronological age of your bike, at just 3300 miles it's not yet fully run in. Continue using mineral 20/50 and ride the bike fairly hard to complete the run-in process.

Your current oil consumption is within spec. Don't worry about it, but do keep a close eye on the oil level until consumption reduces. 'Babying' the motor will only prolong the breaking-in process.

Don't even think about using synthetic until at least about 10,000 miles are on the clock. I would (and have in five RTs!) use 20/50 mineral throughout the life of the bike.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Interesting how BMW has changed their recommendations over the years. My 2012 manual doesn't discourage the use of synthetic oil in the first few thousand miles (as they did in earlier models) ... in fact, the manual is completely mum on the subject never even mentioning the stuff.

It also does not list 20W-50 as an approved oil.

·
Premium Member
2,697 Posts
Ahh, the memories...

I also have a 2005 and got it with about 5k miles on the clock. Mine used oil just like yours.

BMW says any consumption up to 1 quart per 1000 miles is acceptable. So you do not have a problem. The sight glass is only worth about 6 ounces anyway. (I forget the actual number)

I took mine back to the dealer and had a consultation with the Service Adviser. Nice guy. His advice was to ride it harder, let it rev, etc. Run the S--t out of it. His words.

Your problem is that it is not broken in yet and my prediction is that it will continue to use oil at this rate until about 18k miles, but then.... it will smooth out and you will be amazed at the way it runs.

Bonus question... If you do not know for sure that the final drive has been serviced- then DO IT NOW. They came from the factory with an overfill condition. The new final drive volume is 180ml.

Here is a link to the process on your bike- from a pal of mine:
http://bmwsporttouring.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=131174&page=1

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
hopz said:
Ahh, the memories...

I also have a 2005 and got it with about 5k miles on the clock. Mine used oil just like yours.

BMW says any consumption up to 1 quart per 1000 miles is acceptable. So you do not have a problem. The sight glass is only worth about 6 ounces anyway. (I forget the actual number)

I took mine back to the dealer and had a consultation with the Service Adviser. Nice guy. His advice was to ride it harder, let it rev, etc. Run the S--t out of it. His words.

Your problem is that it is not broken in yet and my prediction is that it will continue to use oil at this rate until about 18k miles, but then.... it will smooth out and you will be amazed at the way it runs.

Bonus question... If you do not know for sure that the final drive has been serviced- then DO IT NOW. They came from the factory with an overfill condition. The new final drive volume is 180ml.

Here is a link to the process on your bike- from a pal of mine:
http://bmwsporttouring.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=131174&page=1
Thanks for that, yeah I did the final drive and put in 180ml
Just a quick question, at what stage should the engine oil be checked, I guess when the engine is fully cold?

·
Registered
127 Posts
corrcullen said:
Thanks for that, yeah I did the final drive and put in 180ml
Just a quick question, at what stage should the engine oil be checked, I guess when the engine is fully cold?
When the engine is warm; after a fairly lengthy ride (ie: more than around the block -- 15 minute ride or so is the minimum that I try to use).

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Did a bit of research, and the correct way is to check it 5 mins after a ride when the engine is warm.
What will the difference be, between checking it that way, and when the engine is cold before a ride?
Am just curious, because any other bike I had, the cheeck was done when cold.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.