BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi.

I am new here, I just picked up a used 2005 R1200RT today. On the way home, the Red Exclamation point lit up and the brake failure light flashes about 4 times a second. According to the manual, the ABS has gone into residual braking mode.

When this happened, the speedometer also went out. I stopped, turned the bike off, and everything was fine for about 2 miles and then it happened again.

Everything I have read so far, there may be a problem with the rear ABS sensor cable. I can't seem to find anywhere online that shows how the cable routes on the bike and how to remove it for inspection.

If anyone can help w/ some photos or links to find some information, that would be great. Also, if anyone has any other suggestions on what it may be, I am all ears.

Thank you so much, in advance for your assistance.

·
Premium Member
2,697 Posts
Sully...

First of all, welcome to the Forum.

Second... it is always good for you and for others to know where you are from home-wise. You might be surprised, that someone in your neighborhood has had the same issue... etc. Just edit your personal info to show.

Third, I had an '05 R1200RT and loved it. Over the years I accumulated some BMW reference materials, diagrams, etc. I will try to find a moment to look through some old files on another computer.

No promises but you never know.

and... you might consider joining the other forum that is sometimes helpful and often has members who are not active here. Many of us visit both forums daily... bmwsporttouring.com

If you join over there post your question on the sub-forum called Hexhead... that is the "family" your bike resides in...

Your issue may be very simple to fix or there may be a small chance of an issue with the ABS module but that is pretty rare.

Goog luck

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Hopz is going to come up with some ideas I'm sure. Here are some simple ones, the cable you mentioned, look for visible chaffing both front and rear. If you want to follow it to its connector you will have to just do a hands on trace and remove plastic as needed. Check to see if your brake lamp bulb is in good condition and both filaments intact. Check to see if your brake switches activate. You should be able to hear a little click on the front lever switch and see the rear switch that is touched by an adjustable screw. Then there is the ABS servo unit under the tank that has fluid reservoirs just like the hand lever or rear brake lever the ones in the servo are referred to as the "wheel circuit", the hand and foot ones are the control circuit. A low fluid level could cause problems/alarms. The cycle of the lamp flash has clues to that I can't remember. Since the bike is new to you, think seriously about all the fluid changes. This brake system benefits from a regular DOT 4 change out. As mentioned, it is good to know where you live, someone in the area may have a GS-911 device to read your bike computer faults.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sully...

First of all, welcome to the Forum.

Second... it is always good for you and for others to know where you are from home-wise. You might be surprised, that someone in your neighborhood has had the same issue... etc. Just edit your personal info to show.

Third, I had an '05 R1200RT and loved it. Over the years I accumulated some BMW reference materials, diagrams, etc. I will try to find a moment to look through some old files on another computer.

No promises but you never know.

and... you might consider joining the other forum that is sometimes helpful and often has members who are not active here. Many of us visit both forums daily... bmwsporttouring.com

If you join over there post your question on the sub-forum called Hexhead... that is the "family" your bike resides in...

Your issue may be very simple to fix or there may be a small chance of an issue with the ABS module but that is pretty rare.

Goog luck
Thank you for the welcome and the great tips. I have since updated my location. Great point. I will post in the other forum as well. Bad part is, since I posted this yesterday, now my bike will not even start. It turns over, but will not fire. I am going to have it towed to the dealer next week.

I am hoping that there is just some wire somewhere that is loose or disconnected that is causing all of this. I bought the bike from a dealer up in New Hampshire and had it shipped to Georgia. Bought "As is" and no available warranty, so I have gotten 20 miles on the bike before it has died and now I have to bring to a dealer on my dime. They say they have all the fluids before shipping. They also installed new tires, so again, hoping it is just a fluke and only a small issue, like them knocking a wire loose. Fingers are crossed!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, I got some other suggestions from other places that the issue may be a low voltage battery. I charged the battery to 100%.

I also read about the ABS pretest at start and made sure not to touch the brakes until it was through the prestart check. With those two things, I had no issues when I test drove the bike for 12 miles after work tonight. I am hoping the issue is resolved.

Thanks for all the suggestions. Much appreciated.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, finally had some time this morning to get out and get a good ride in. Everything was perfect, for the first 45 miles, then the brake errors returned. Not sure why it took 45 miles to finally throw the brakes into residual brake mode? Also, when I get this error, the Speedometer and Odometer quit working. Tach works fine. I guess a trip to the dealer is going to be in order, after all.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Could be your battery simply isn't holding a full charge. Since this is a new-to-you, but used bike I'd get a new battery, charge it to 100%, and try that...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Could be your battery simply isn't holding a full charge. Since this is a new-to-you, but used bike I'd get a new battery, charge it to 100%, and try that...
Thanks for the suggestion. Battery is perfect. Stays at a 100%. I put it on the charger after the ride today, and it immediately went to 100%, so the battery seems to be fine.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, just got a call from the dealer. They say it is the ABS Unit that needs to be replaced. $3200+ with labor. Hard for me to believe that is the problem, when I lose the speedo and odometer too. I guess I need to find another solution here.

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
With not much to loose you could mail your ABS unit to these folks for repairs. The GS folks say it is about $200 if it can be repaired. Does your dealer have a line on new units. I read that they are hard to get a hold of.
Automotive ECU Testing - ECU Repair and Exchange
These people also fix them:
Steuergeräte Reparatur für Ihr Motorsteuergerät
None of the choices are fast or cheap. The 2002-2006 bikes with the servo brakes are time bombs as far as I'm concerned. With your speed read out down, it tells me the electronic side of this device is giving some troubles. Have you looked over your rear sensor wiring and signal sensor?
here is one today:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/09-BMW-R1200RT-R1200-RT-ABS-Servo-Modulator-Pump-Unit-/381573459588?fits=Year:2005|Make:BMW|Model:R1200RT|Submodel:ABS&hash=item58d78cee84:g:chAAAOxywh1TF8kL&vxp=mtr

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Max bmw parts fiche:
34 51 7 698 296 PRESSURE MODULATOR, PARTIAL INTEGRAL ABS (to 08/06) $2703.16
I can see you have some thinking to do for sure, sorry.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I ride a 2010 r1200rt, and this exact same thing happened to me when on a trip in 2014.
My problem was caused by the dealer I stopped into for a new front tire. When they removed my front wheel they unclipped the ABS sensor wire, this allowed the brake disc to rub directly against the wire. Eventually the insulation was removed by the brake disc, and the bare ABS wire grounded out on the disc. This caused the ABS, odometer and Speedo to stop working. I could turn off the bike and restart, the bike would function for a while then act up again. My road side fix was to wrap electrical tape around the spot and zip tie the ABS wire away from the brake disc.

·
Premium Member
3,121 Posts
I ride a 2010 r1200rt, and this exact same thing happened to me when on a trip in 2014.
My problem was caused by the dealer I stopped into for a new front tire. When they removed my front wheel they unclipped the ABS sensor wire, this allowed the brake disc to rub directly against the wire. Eventually the insulation was removed by the brake disc, and the bare ABS wire grounded out on the disc. This caused the ABS, odometer and Speedo to stop working. I could turn off the bike and restart, the bike would function for a while then act up again. My road side fix was to wrap electrical tape around the spot and zip tie the ABS wire away from the brake disc.
I would think the OP should take this to heart as what you describe are his symptoms exactly.

I am wondering if the dealer is just taking a shot in the dark or a shot at his wallet?

Also remember someone saying that someone can rebuild ABS units but cannot remember who posted it or the company's name.

That is a lot of money and I would try to source a used one off a totaled bike before paying that bill.

I hope the OP gets a break on this and gets his bike squared away.

·
Registered
The Villages, FL
2,601 Posts
My problem was caused by the dealer I stopped into for a new front tire. When they removed my front wheel they unclipped the ABS sensor wire, this allowed the brake disc to rub directly against the wire. Eventually the insulation was removed by the brake disc, and the bare ABS wire grounded out on the disc. This caused the ABS, odometer and Speedo to stop working.
Wasn't there a recall (service bulletin) on the 2005's regarding the front wire rubbing against either the tire or rotor?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thank you all for your input.

I was hoping the dealer would look at the sensors, but I have feeling they only ran the codes. I am going to take the rear wheel off and check the rear sensor when I pick up the bike tomorrow. It looks like the front sensor and wire is fine, so I don't think it is there.

Here are the two recalls they completed.

BMW Recalls 2005-2012 Motorcycles Over Fuel Pump Leaks | BMW Motorcycle Magazine

?03-?11 BMW K- and R-Series Motorcycles Recalled | BMW Motorcycle Magazine

They also replaced the fuel sensor that was acting up, under some warranty program as well. My total bill w/ diagnostics is $99. I am just wondering if they just ran the code and did not inspect the sensors. I will let you know what I find out once I check them myself.

Thanks again for all of your input.

·
Premium Member
2,697 Posts
'05 RT ABS service bulletin...

It was not a recall, but a Service Bulletin. The issue was that the original location of the ABS Sensor, which is on the left side near the left-front brake rotor needed to be relocated... to avoid potential chafing. My Service guy mentioned it and I looked myself... on my '05... which I loved, but I digress. The Service thing was basically to move the Clip that guides the ABS wire was to raise the Clip up a few inches or so, so that the wire- is moved to a place where it will not chafe.

"Bulletin" means someone should check that position but does rise to the level of "Recall". This means there probably was no notation in the BMW documentation system unless some early technician took the time to note it. There was no "requirement" to do so.

SullyCuse- take a look at the sensor for yourself... (which I'll bet you already have). If the wire is frayed you might point that out to the dealer.

Your opening line about having "picked up an '05" makes me curious. Did you buy from an individual or was it a dealer? Were there records of the maintenance/history? Did you know the seller/previous owner?

At the price of the ABS rebuild you might want to do a bit of detective work.

Reactions: SullyCuse

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
'05 RT ABS service bulletin...

It was not a recall, but a Service Bulletin. The issue was that the original location of the ABS Sensor, which is on the left side near the left-front brake rotor needed to be relocated... to avoid potential chafing. My Service guy mentioned it and I looked myself... on my '05... which I loved, but I digress. The Service thing was basically to move the Clip that guides the ABS wire was to raise the Clip up a few inches or so, so that the wire- is moved to a place where it will not chafe.

"Bulletin" means someone should check that position but does rise to the level of "Recall". This means there probably was no notation in the BMW documentation system unless some early technician took the time to note it. There was no "requirement" to do so.

SullyCuse- take a look at the sensor for yourself... (which I'll bet you already have). If the wire is frayed you might point that out to the dealer.

Your opening line about having "picked up an '05" makes me curious. Did you buy from an individual or was it a dealer? Were there records of the maintenance/history? Did you know the seller/previous owner?

At the price of the ABS rebuild you might want to do a bit of detective work.
Thanks for the info.

I have looked at the front sensor, and everything looks fine, but may need to do a closer inspection.

I am going to remove the rear tire when I get it back from the dealer and see how the rear sensor looks.

I got the bike from a dealer in NH, sight unseen and as-is. They are working with me a bit, so I don't want to slam them. At least not yet. I didn't realize the issues the 2005-06 RT's had w/ the ABS until I had the problem with this one, which was immediately. Live and learn. I have ridden the bike about 150 miles total. Rode the other day, and the ABS error didn't pop up until a little over 80 miles, so I keep thinking it is a sensor issue, and not a pump issue.

Again, waiting to hear from the dealer and hope they can help me out. I really enjoy riding the bike, although I may need a seat overhaul.

Thanks again for the info. I will keep everyone posted on what I find.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts