BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am about to order tires from Southwest Moto tires.. and they list the following:
Bridgestone BT020 120/70R-17 Front K1200LT Radial
Bridgestone BT020 160/70R-17 K1200LT Rear Radial
Bridgestone BT020 120/70B-17 K1200LT 2005 Only
Bridgestone BT020 160/70B-17 K1200LT 2005 Only

Any idea why this is? I have a 2003,,, Do you think I should go with the "B" tires...

·
Premium Member
7,795 Posts
Biased choice?

Hey.. either bias-ply or radial "can" work. We are instructed to run the SAME type at all times on your vehicle... whether a car or motorcycle.

I've ridden both the bias and radial on the k1200lt.. they offered quite different handling. Any new tire, even if the same type and maker, be careful... especially while "scrubbing in" the new skin.

My '05 came with the BIAS BT-020 'stones. I found they ride "harder" than the radial, but they seem to "stick" better for my riding.

Anyway, it's a personal decision about which you would want to run... just be sure they are identical in construction... and be careful as you learn the way it handles...

Best wishes.

·
Registered
558 Posts
They probably state the bias for the 05 because that is the only one they tested it on. Most likely some legal way to cover their butts. Either type should work fine.

·
IBR# 366
16,554 Posts
Either Bias or Radial BT020 tires will work on the LT, any year. I've run both on my '02. I find that the radials tend to stick better, especially in the wet, and handle a bit quicker. Some folks prefer the bias tires and claim that they last a bit longer.

It's your choice based on what you think is more important, traction and handling or stability and longer wear.

·
Registered
520 Posts
I look at it this way: How many big rigs run radials? How many commercial trailers run radials? In my little opinion: very few. My simple understanding about things are bias tires are used for 'heavy' duty applications and radials typically aren't. As you know, the LT is very heavy and hell when I mount her, she squeals! I want to have the knowledge that my tires will handle the weight! To add to my point, I haven't seen to many MC bias tires delaminate.

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
TX03LTC said:
As you know, the LT is very heavy and hell when I mount her, she squeals!
MUST ... RESIST ... EXTRAORDINARY ... TEMPTATION ...!!!!!

Dayem, Al, don't be teeing them up like that! Darn near had to break my fingers to keep them away from the keyboard! ;)

·
Registered
520 Posts
mneblett said:
MUST ... RESIST ... EXTRAORDINARY ... TEMPTATION ...!!!!!

Dayem, Al, don't be teeing them up like that! Darn near had to break my fingers to keep them away from the keyboard! ;)
Ah gosh... was trying my hand at humor :) :) :)

·
Registered
227 Posts
I've ran three sets of the radials on my o5 with no problems. I think the radial gives a little better grip, same tire wear. Cowboy

1 - 9 of 9 Posts