BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Miles of Smiles
1,060 Posts
I see the original oetiker clamps on the fuel filter which are fine. Just wondered if you had it replaced during service, as often changed to suitable screw clamp. Just possible it’s media has collapsed causing fuel starvation.
As your in there anyway, change out the filter.
Note the flow direction. Process of elimination.

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Ahhh, you guys are amazing... thx for continued support and advice from all. (y)
Its giving me a much needed lift to start tracing this further myself and not just pass it to a dealer I have little to no faith in.
I smashed a finger a few days ago trying to sort a front wheel sensor problem on my Sprinter van, so waiting on a part from UK for that... plus were into our 8th or 9th week of serious Covid lockdown here.... so spirits aren't too high at the moment. :(
5km travel limit... doesn't offer much options, lucky I live on the coast.

Sailor, thanks for the great description as always.... precise and clear. :giggle:
Will look into the test gauge and follow through your notes, I should have the original plastic fuel clips tucked away somewhere.

Hi Hilton! :) Haven't spoken for quite a while, hope you guys are safe and well.... given circumstances where you're located!
When I last changed the fuel filter many years ago, I just re-used the original oetiker clamps.... they've been no issue all that time, but guess that doesn't mean they haven't contributed to a problem now.
I feel that the pump itself is OK, will try John's test properly (I hope?) today while waiting for a guage.

cheers..... Chris

·
Registered
77 Posts
CWS - I also reused the Oetiker fuel clamps when I replaced the fuel filter on my 2005 K1200. But I'll have to admit I wish I hadn't as it really eats at the back of your mind when you get far away from home.....

Others - Is there a way to safely introduce a small amount of fuel into the air intake to see if the engine fires to eliminate a lot of searching? I had a mysterious ignition-like shutdown very near my home that cured itself after I pushed it back home. Again a brain eater.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,917 Posts
I suppose you could put some fuel in a small spray bottle and squirt it into the snorkel while trying to start the bike. Not sure I would do it since it is ahead of the PAPER air filter that could catch fire.

·
Registered
951 Posts
Chris Mate, I have only just noticed your predicament. If you do need a new fuel pump I have a new unused spare here. Just let me know and I will get it posted down to you.

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Cheers Wazza... I'm hoping the pump itself is OK. Waiting on a fuel pressure test gauge to arrive before I go any further.

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 · (Edited)
CWS - I also reused the Oetiker fuel clamps when I replaced the fuel filter on my 2005 K1200. But I'll have to admit I wish I hadn't as it really eats at the back of your mind when you get far away from home.....
I had a mysterious ignition-like shutdown very near my home that cured itself after I pushed it back home. Again a brain eater.
Hi Niel.... I had the same about a month before it failed completely.... in the same damn underground carpark of our local shopping centre. That time I tried to bump start it down a ramp, but it wouldn't start. I left it a few minutes, and then it started up OK with the key and had been OK since, until it finally failed again in the same situation. :rolleyes: :confused:
Certainly food for thought.....

My fuel tester arrived last night, so today might be interesting.

--------------------------------

%&#@ dammit.... this thing is going to fight me all the way!
Tried to setup the EFI tester as per Sailors diagram by removing the gauge from its long hose... and in doing so the gauge faceplate bent which will stop the needle from going past about 20psi... I'm not even going to try it out. Damn cheap Chinese crap. :mad::ROFLMAO::poop:

Guess i'm going in the long way... just pull it all apart.

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
waiting... waiting.......
Ordered fuel pump parts from Beemer Boneyard on 27 August, as usual the guys were very prompt in shipping them out by next day.. Unfortunately they've been sitting in good ol' NY, USA "cleared customs, awaiting shipping" ever since.
At least I managed to get a better (hopefully) fuel pressure tester from an Aussie seller for $30. Setup looks identical to the one Sailor uses as per his pic.
I'm sure the parts will arrive, whether its this year or not... who knows?!!!

·
Registered
951 Posts
waiting... waiting.......
Ordered fuel pump parts from Beemer Boneyard on 27 August, as usual the guys were very prompt in shipping them out by next day.. Unfortunately they've been sitting in good ol' NY, USA "cleared customs, awaiting shipping" ever since.
At least I managed to get a better (hopefully) fuel pressure tester from an Aussie seller for $30. Setup looks identical to the one Sailor uses as per his pic.
I'm sure the parts will arrive, whether its this year or not... who knows?!!!
I've still got that pump here Mate if you need it. Just let me know. I bought it from Beemer Boneyard so it would be the same unit. I could send you mine and you could just send me yours when it turns up. I'm only keeping it as a spare and don't currently need it.

·
Premium Member
667 Posts
"and in doing so the gauge faceplate bent which will stop the needle from going past about 20psi"

I have taken off the clear cover on gauges and bent the faceplate back...

Reactions: cws

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
I've still got that pump here Mate if you need it. Just let me know.
Cheers Wazza... I didn't order a pump itself as I think mine might still be OK (not properly tested as yet though).
I've ordered all the lines and filter etc parts, its those that are sitting waiting to be on-shipped.

I have taken off the clear cover on gauges and bent the faceplate back...
Ha, didn't even think of that with these cheap-shit Chinese products... I might try just for a laugh, doesn't matter if I break it now.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts