BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at a 2005 LT with 30k miles from a dealer. My question is is it ok to buy it, I mean its a 2005 , 6 years old and 30k miles. dealer has serviced it but has no warranty. Since its a dealerm he detailed and looks shiny, Its a BMW dealer. any advise.

·
Registered
577 Posts
You might want to consider an extended warranty. RPMone does offer one even for bikes out of original warranty. Have no idea of cost, but mine has already saved me more then twice the price. Max commented they were the nicest people he has ever dealt with for an extended warranty service.
33K miles is just nicely broke in and you will love this ride.

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,158 Posts
I love my 05, with about 60k miles on it now.
You did not mention the price... That would be a determining factor.

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,158 Posts
shamsu said:
what is . RPMone .
Google is your friend! ;)
Good reading!

·
Registered
577 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
I love my 2005 LT with 33k on it. How much is this bike costing you...? if possible take it for a ride then you're hooked!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Hi,

I agree with my fellow riders above, check it out, the previous owner, look into extended warranty, take it for a test ride and you WILL be hooked. :bmw:

She might feel top heavy to you at first, you will get used to it, just watch the brakes at slow speed.........practice practice and a little more practice.If you can enrol on a ERC course over there it will be good. We have BikeSafe over here BikeSafe in addition to RoSPA and the IAM and other qualified post test trainers.

I have a 05 LT-LUX and hopefully off to France in March, (back injury permitting) trying to find the sun over there (as it seems just to either snow, rain or be cold here across the pond LOL)

Stay safe ........

Rossy

·
Registered
688 Posts
Get the complete service record. When was last brake fluid change, when not miles? When was radiator fluid last changed out. When, not miles? Those are the most critical services for this bike other than regular mileage service (IMHO).

Ultra LT

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I checked . bike has 20 k miles 2005 deal will be 11k OTD. Bike has custom corbin seats with back rest and tall wind shield. it is at mortonbmw in VA.

Dealer sya they only changed the tire, and no fluid changes. So don't know when they were done. SO I told him if he does not do all the luid changes no deal.

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,158 Posts
shamsu said:
I checked . bike has 20 k miles 2005 deal will be 11k OTD. Bike has custom corbin seats with back rest and tall wind shield. it is at mortonbmw in VA.

Dealer sya they only changed the tire, and no fluid changes. So don't know when they were done. SO I told him if he does not do all the luid changes no deal.
It is on the high side as far as pricing. What options come with the bike? Comm system? GPS? Any add-ons?
If the dealer agrees to change the fluids, be sure he does a brake and clutch fluid refresh and engine coolnat as well. What brand are the tires and what is their shape?

·
Registered
216 Posts
Welcome to the world of the LT. I also agree the bike is on the high side of pricing. I purchased an 05 last year at this time for $9,300 -- private seller. The bike had 8,500 on it without any type of accessories. The bike needed two new tires ($300+) and the fuilds changed. Personally, if they can give you and warranty and change all the fluids, it would be a fair price. Nonetheless, there are LT's out there -- you just need to wait it out to find one that works for you. You can look on ebay.com to get a handle on inventory and prices.

Here is an 08 on ebay you can buy for $15K and it only has 4,000 miles on it. This is a much better deal when you factor in miles, depreciation, and resale value.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2008-BMWK1200-LT-3720-miles-/290532766076?pt=US_motorcycles&hash=item43a51a317c

·
Registered
5 Posts
shamsu said:

I have an 05 & love it. Had a complete tune up at 18k & it cost approx. $800...All the fluids were done. I believe this was suppose to be done at 12k miles & repeat every 12k miles. My point is to verify that all the required service has been done especially at that price. I would have them do it for free at that price.

·
Premium Member
3,549 Posts
If you need new helmets now is the time to tell the dealer you want those included in the purchase.

Around 22-24K the stock shocks have to be re-sprung or replaced with new shocks. If you are near that point insist the dealer install new shocks that you provide for free or change the spring at no cost to you. Stock shocks are around 1K, much better after market ones are 1300-1800. There are a few places that sell BMW parts at a discount.

Best from Tucson
Bob

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
I've got about 74K on my 05 LT. Bought it right out of warranty, no extended warranty no real problems.

You'll love the bike. Get the newest one you can. There will be no others made, so, when you're through with this one. it is over.

Joe

1 - 17 of 17 Posts