BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone experienced "Cold Engine Issues" on their 2005 LT. When the temperature is cool my LT requires additional throttle when I let the clutch out in first gear.

My 2001 LT didn't require any warm up period.

Warm regards,
Mike "the Rat"
05 K1200LT Yellow
"das Cream Puff"

·
Registered
68 Posts
Mike,

I've got an '03. No warm-up needed, but I sometimes do get a bit more hesitation going into second gear then it's cool (say maybe below 40F).

Harv - South Minneapolis

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have the same problem on my '05, if I blip the throttle right after it starts it hesitates bad and almost stalls. It also blows black soot out the back on my garage floor, really irritating. Just got it back from the dealer and they say it all checks out to spec and it is "normal" for the LT. It is also rather doggy in 4th and 5th gear also, ok so I am coming from a VMAX which of course is no comparison, but I am going to be seriously looking to do some pwr upgrades to get some umph back if possible. Guess I should have rode the demo more before I choose to go LT. It just seems so under powered... :(

·
Registered
223 Posts
Mike, I cant say that my bike has a low power on start up problem but I usually start the bike and work it back and forth in my garage to be able to drive out forward. So it usually runs at least 1-2 minutes before driving off. These bikes have pretty quick warm ups but any nicasil coated alloy cylinder vehicle is a little cold blooded right on start up. It is part of there make-up. Heat is disapated very quickly to the coolant--no cast iron liners in the cylinders. So low power cold should be considered normal, not enough heat in the cylinders for complete combustion.
Even with the above being true I think my bike runs a bit rich, not only cold but while under load--I think the engineers speced them that way for saftey. No have not checked the air/fuel ratio--Even if I did there is nothing I could do about it with the exception of changing the exhaust to allow lower back pressure. I believe the motronic would probably store a code if the air temp sensor, MAF sensor or MAP sensor were out of spec. So warm it up a little and forget about it.

·
Premium Member
7,565 Posts
I haven't really noticed a difference. On cold mornings my 99, 02, and 05 LTs have all acted about the same. If I start up and try to pull away immediately they all seemed to stutter a bit, but once up to about 2500 rpms and through the first couple of gears it settled out. Starting with my 99 I got in the habit of letting them run about a minute during the end of my "gettin ready" process (start up, put on my sunglasses and gloves, turn on the lights and radio, then back out and go) and have had no problems. The 05 doesn't seem any more or less touchy than my other 2 LTs.

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
Mike_the_Rat said:
Has anyone experienced "Cold Engine Issues" on their 2005 LT. When the temperature is cool my LT requires additional throttle when I let the clutch out in first gear.

My 2001 LT didn't require any warm up period.

Warm regards,
Mike "the Rat"
05 K1200LT Yellow
"das Cream Puff"
Your post was kind of interesting in that it prompted me to think that the LT is my 'cold weather' bike. Now realize that what we Floridians think of as cold weather (e.g. this morning it was 40 degrees F here in Jacksonville) is a heat wave elsewhere.

But, back to the question at hand . . . belching black seems to be the order of the day on my '05 LT but other than that seems ok. But then again, I always let the bike idle a bit as cranking out of the driveway with two ninety degree turns, especially one on to a major road, don't want the engine stalling.

So, at what temperature are you experiencing this? And, what do you consider 'cold'??

·
Registered
33 Posts
Cold Engine

As David does I always let the engine turn while putting on helmet , glasses and gloves and one morning when temperature was arround 50F, I experienced a very bad feeling. I left home and when turning and giving more gas, the bike had a hiccup! Not nice when bike is on angle!
Next time and even more with colder weather I will let the egine warm up longer!

·
Premium Member
877 Posts
My 05' has never stalled BUT I always let the bike warm up before I ride it. Revving or blipping the throttle on a cold engine is not a good thing and I never do that. The warm up is for about 5 min or until I touch the engine and it feels warm, then it's all good... :) Backfires can also cause vacuum hoses to pop off creating more problems.

My advice, be patient and let it come up to temp a little :D

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Yepper

Mike_the_Rat said:
Warm regards,
Mike "the Rat"
05 K1200LT Yellow
"das Cream Puff"
Yes its been kinda cranky about it too. Seems to be real bad when its parked in the garage before I ride it to work in the AM. Real hesitant. The old '00 didn't have this problem at all. Maybe it has one'o them damn Rochester Quadrajet carbs uh? :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
1,305 Posts
I have noticed that on cold or cool days especially if it's damp or rainy that the engine requires a bit of a warm up or extra care when moving out to avoid a stall. Especially a concern with this bike's poor low speed manners in parking lots.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Guys when I first test rode the 05 demo at Carolina BMW it had a terrible hesitation when you first started the bike if the engine was cold. Just sitting still if you touched the throttle it would cut out something terrible. As soon as the engine temp came up a little it stoped hesitating. I mentioned this to the guys in the shop, but I don't know if anything was ever done about it on that particular bike.

On a happy note my 05 has never done this no matter what the outside temp is. I also let it idle for a couple of minutes before I ease up the street.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all your input, I do allow the '05 LT to warm up for a few minutes.

Would the fuel injection run rich or lean at let's say between 30's to 50's at start-up ?

Would a exhaust with less back pressure help the LT to run leaner on a '05 ?

Warm regards,
Mike "the Rat"

·
Premium Member
824 Posts
Daft as it may sound, the first place I'd look would be the throttle bank and see whether the butterflies are balanced. Katie had started to need a lot of extra throttle to pull away hot or cold and the tickover had slowed before I had my dealer check her out. They found one butterfly wasn't closing as easily as the others and swapped the whole bank. The difference is staggering. She pulls down to tickover and I can pull away gently - such as in traffic - using no more than 1500 rpm. Best of all, she's using less juice!

Keith

·
Premium Member
7,795 Posts
hmmm...

Since having my bike at dealer for minor brake work I noticed the same when engine "cold"... and that can be 70 degrees. Also, with the cooler weather (33) the last couple days, the initial performance can leave.. uh.. "impressions"... especially as previously stated, when it happens when "leaned" over in a turn.

I'm thinking the dealer may need to check it out. Might be worth letting the dealer do the 12k and get it fixed..?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Wintering

Well, happiness is so easy! I had to ask twice but I finally got nice answers. I know that little poor french man in his small country far away in Europe is not the most important of your daily concerns but thanks anyway to you guys for your good advices!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Thread error

Sorry gentlemen, my last post was for the "wintering" thread! Apologies.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Me too

My '05 also seems a bit slow to "get going" in the morning - but don't we all! I noticed the "first few blocks" hesitation when I got the bike, even here in So Cal where the AM temps are typically in the 50's to 60's. Like others have mentioned, I too find myself starting up the bike and letting it warm up while I put my gloves and helmet on - that way by the time I take off it's ready to go. Other than that first few minutes though, the bike has plenty of power for me!

OB

·
Registered
426 Posts
Between 30-50 deg I can't touch the throttle for 30 seconds or the engine quits. It's doggy for the next 3 to 5 minutes. I will fix this problem in a few weeks and go some place where it's warm.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Cold Start

My 05 starts just fine in the cold weather; I'm talkin Wisconsin weather. It's been run in 7 degree weather with no problems at all.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Past few mornings, I've been getting it started with temps in the lower 40's..no problem with startup and as I back it out of garage, it has a few minutes to warm up..No problems with accel so far..I do have some soot on the exhaust tailpipe tho'..

1 - 20 of 29 Posts