BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings,
I'm considering purchasing a well maintained 2005 LT with 50 K miles.
The brake lines have never been changed, nor has the rear floating rotor.
While the lines appear not to be dry-rotted nor cracked, is a change of all of them prudent?
While I can do the work myself, what is the approximate cost of all the necessary recommended replacement parts?

Also, is it also prudent to change the rear rotor to the solid, cross-drilled version? If so, what is the cost of this?

Thank you for your thoughts!

YD

·
Registered
4,257 Posts
Greetings,
I'm considering purchasing a well maintained 2005 LT with 50 K miles.
The brake lines have never been changed, nor has the rear floating rotor.
While the lines appear not to be dry-rotted nor cracked, is a change of all of them prudent?
While I can do the work myself, what is the approximate cost of all the necessary recommended replacement parts?

Also, is it also prudent to change the rear rotor to the solid, cross-drilled version? If so, what is the cost of this?

Thank you for your thoughts!

YD
Welcome to the forum and yes, changing all of them is prudent. They can look like new on the outside and still be deteriorating from the inside out and go at any time.

As for the rotor, you would only need to change that if you had the cow bell and couldn't take the ringing any longer or if it was worn beyond the wear limits. The EBC predrilled rotor is a nice upgrade though but stay away from the fully sintered pads as stated by the MFG for that rotor.

·
Premium Member
7,546 Posts
Welcome to the forum and yes, changing all of them is prudent. They can look like new on the outside and still be deteriorating from the inside out and go at any time.

As for the rotor, you would only need to change that if you had the cow bell and couldn't take the ringing any longer or if it was worn beyond the wear limits. The EBC predrilled rotor is a nice upgrade though but stay away from the fully sintered pads as stated by the MFG for that rotor.
And stay away from sintered pads for the OEM rotor. One set of pads from BeemerBoneyard took my OEM rotor to minimum thickness in about 27,000 miles.

Reactions: bmwcoolk1200

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
As everyone else said, change the brake hoses now! My personal belief is that the rubber hoses deteriorate and damage the ABS pump. You will be very happy with the stainless/Teflon brake lines. Don't worry about the cost, changing them and regular flushes will save the ABS unit.

Robert

·
Registered
689 Posts
about $315 for lines and fluid and special funnel. not including any tools
Don't change the disc unless it is too thin.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts