BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just flushed all circuits and road tested the bike. All looks normal but I noticed a 3" spot of brake fluid on the concrete below the ABS vent line.
My question is how often should I see this and is it pretty normal after a flush?
I'm supposing the system is regulating the reservoir level and it should cease to drain.

Bob

·
Registered
500 Posts
If no errors on the dash... You should be okay. You probably just overfilled the module reservoir. Or when you pushed the pads back. Shouldn't be an issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If no errors on the dash... You should be okay. You probably just overfilled the module reservoir. Or when you pushed the pads back. Shouldn't be an issue.

No ABS faults. And my spacers were same thickness as pads, so pistons were not pushed in after flush. Just used clean syringe to top up reservoir at the end so maybe a tad too much fluid.
Makes me wonder about the vent line though. Is it a one-way vent to prevent air from getting into the closed system?

·
Registered
500 Posts
If you notice, the caps of the reservoirs drain into the same hose. So, if one of the circuits had too much fluid it'll drain there.

Will that hose prevent air from entering the system?
I don't think so... But it helps. Since there's no air coming in, it doesn't drain fast if you tip the bike. But I think it'll still drain if you lay the bike on the side.
Again, you should be fine. Just to be sure. Check the levels again.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you notice, the caps of the reservoirs drain into the same hose. So, if one of the circuits had too much fluid it'll drain there.

Will that hose prevent air from entering the system?
I don't think so... But it helps. Since there's no air coming in, it doesn't drain fast if you tip the bike. But I think it'll still drain if you lay the bike on the side.
Again, you should be fine. Just to be sure. Check the levels again.

I've already re-dressed the bike. I figure if level goes too low I'll see a fault.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,246 Posts
The correct procedure is to push the pistons all the way into the caliper (minimizes dead fluid) for the flush and subsequent reservoir top off. Then re- install the pads and seat them, and add no more fluid. This is for the 05 and up only. If fluid was added between flushes you will push fluid out the vent the next time to fully retract the pistons. The 05 + is not so sensitive to fluid level like the early bikes so when you do get the low fluid wig-wag it means your pads are worn out.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The correct procedure is to push the pistons all the way into the caliper (minimizes dead fluid) for the flush and subsequent reservoir top off. Then re- install the pads and seat them, and add no more fluid. This is for the 05 and up only. If fluid was added between flushes you will push fluid out the vent the next time to fully retract the pistons. The 05 + is not so sensitive to fluid level like the early bikes so when you do get the low fluid wig-wag it means your pads are worn out.
John,
I did follow your DVD tutorial pretty religiously. I did fine tune the reservoir level with a clean syringe after the funnel was removed since I wasn't practiced at stopping the pump at the perfect level. After cap went back on and pads were seated, no more fluid was added.
Had no issues afterward, just wanted to understand how the vent line functioned.
KUDOS on the video!
Bob

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
My '05 did exactly the same thing a couple of years ago after we replaced the brake lines with Spieglers and new fluids.
In fact it "leaked" a couple of times (venting) I guess until everything settled down and it was happy with the amount of fluid that was in there.
Never a problem since (touch wood)

·
Registered
876 Posts
The vent line is straight to atmosphere, it exits on the right side of the swing arm just in front of the rear wheel. Yes, moisture can enter the reservoir (s) because the line is open. I installed a miniature dessicant filter in my line, it went in just behind the battery box. I'm not certain of the brand, I borrowed it from the instrument techs at work.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
The vent line is straight to atmosphere, it exits on the right side of the swing arm just in front of the rear wheel. Yes, moisture can enter the reservoir (s) because the line is open. I installed a miniature dessicant filter in my line, it went in just behind the battery box. I'm not certain of the brand, I borrowed it from the instrument techs at work.
Unless the dessicant is changed very often or recycled often it becomes useless with exposure to moist air rather quickly. We tried using dessicant dryers on our air control systems. Waste of time and money.

Robert

1 - 10 of 10 Posts