BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Due to several episodes of “crazy stuff” I have not been able to ride my 2005 K1200 LT much in the last few years. When I finally had a chance a month ago the brakes broke (and I have a feeling that I will be broke soon). The "brake failure" message flashed at 4hz and the Triangle of Exclamation came on.

(I've got to say that I find it interesting that the "brake failure" message is understated in all lower case, I would have at least made it "Brake Failure" and "BRAKE FAILURE" is really more appropriate. Heck, even "Clock Mode" and "Trip Reset" get more emphasis than "brake failure".)

Action Taken - spent lots of money and time to try to fix the problem. Acquired a GS-911 Wi-Fi (so cool!), replaced the OEM brake lines with Spieglers; installed SpeedBleeders; flushed and bleed the system (repeatedly) until both front and rear circuits passed the Bleed Test.

Current Symptoms – the understated warning lights still come on and error code “17181 : Pressure in front wheel circuit to low” is reported by the GS-911. The motors in the ABS modulator sound sick and sometimes stop working and sometimes stay on. The GS-911 also reports that the front brake pressure is much lower than the rear brake pressure. (I would provide the pressure numbers, but I have not figured out how to get them off my phone. Where is a teenager when you need one?)

Also Note - when flushing the front brakes, the ABS modulator did not pump out the brake fluid like it did for the rear brake.

My Diagnosis – the electronics (sensors and/or motors) in the ABS modulator have failed. Is there anything else to check or give me hope that anything less than BMWing (Bringing More Wallet) to the dealer to replace the ABS modulator will fix the problem.

Alternative - I have read up on ABSectomys, but since my sole reason for having the LT is to have my wife ride with me, I am not interested in that approach.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Yeah... Bummer. I just bought a new unit for my LT. Such a large bike needs abs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,170 Posts
Did the servo sound the same just not as much pressure? If so maybe the relief valve is sticking. It is a bear to get off but some have had good luck cycling the little piston then re-installing it. Photo shows the valve and it will be the one in line with the taller reservoir.

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts