BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 2005 k1200s with 9500 miles. Going to change fluids and can locate the tranny drain plug. Can anyone here give me a clue on where to locate it at? Thank you.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Hi,

I have a 2003 K1200GT.. If your 2005 is the same "brick" design as my 03, the tranny drain plug is basically that big hex plug almost directly under the center stand, while the filler is on the right side of the bike/tranny visible with the tupperware on, just above the foot brake pedal.

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
The K1200s is not a brick engine like the LT/GT K1200. It has a wet clutch so is the engine oil also doing the transmission on that one?

Reactions: beech

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,254 Posts
Gordon is correct there is no transmission oil just engine oil that does both jobs. If your bike looks like this.

There is a hose on the side of the oil tank and a dry sump drain under the engine near the headers and of course the oil filer behind the shifter. Be aware that to re-fill the cooling system you will need a vacuum fill device.

Attachments

Reactions: bmwcoolk1200

·
Registered
2,751 Posts
This speaks to the next stage of the problem. You need to use motorcycle oil 5W40 rated 2MA. The 2MA part is to keep your clutch from slipping. You have a neat bike, a real hot rod complete with the nasty idle and hard to ride around town. The final drive will be your next question. Do a search and find out a lot. Only 180ml of gear oil though. If you put your home town in your signature or profile someone near by can help with many details. Lots to read on this forum about your bike also. You can spend hours reading past files.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts