BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Riders,
I need some advice. My 2005 K1200LT needs a new battery. Can anyone spec a replacenment and are there any concerns replacing it myself? Anything else I should be concerned about?
Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,392 Posts
A lot of people replace the LT battery with an Odyssey PC680. I had one on my '07 LT, and when it comes time to replace the one in my GTLE, I'll probably go with it also. It's fairly simple to replace and there is a lot of info on this forum about how to do it...

·
Registered
29 Posts
Odyssey pc680 is the only battery i will install in my bikes or my customers bikes period. The k1200 not only has a demanding electrical system it is the only bike i know of that has a full size alternator like a car. I believe at least 65 amps. The pc680 is a gell cell style battery and can discharge completely without hurting itself like led acid batteries will. When i started riding LT bikes i used led acid batteries but every time i let it sit for a week or so with the alarm on the battery would be dead. The lead acid batteries dont recover no matter how new they are.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
65 Posts
The Odyssey PC680 is definitely the way to go. Whatever you do, just don't install it backwards. I see that a few people has installed a battery backwards and unfortunately, the electronics and wiring isn't forgiving.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you all for the advice. Ill check with the dealer on the PC680, sounds like thats the choice! Apologies for the multiple spelling errors in original post...

·
Registered
432 Posts
Don't forget the TPS(throttle position sensor)reset any time you disconnect the battery: With the key on, but the engine not running, rotate the throttle slowly from off to full. Do that three times.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Also, very important! Disconnect the negative lead first, then positive. When connecting new battery connect positive lead first, then negative. Never have just the negative lead connected. This can fry an ECU. BTDT.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts