BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys and gals, new member here. I just picked up an '05 K1200LT for $4,500 last night. It only has 35k on it, but it threw a rod already (common issue?). I'm looking for a new motor on eBay and to my surprise, there are plenty available. I noticed that the valve cover on this one is silver where as the one on my old 2000 was black. Not that it means it's mechanically different, but it does raise the question; Is there a specific year/model range that will work, or will any K1200 engine work?

Thanks.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,178 Posts
inderocker said:
Hi guys and gals, new member here. I just picked up an '05 K1200LT for $4,500 last night. It only has 35k on it, but it threw a rod already (common issue?). I'm looking for a new motor on eBay and to my surprise, there are plenty available. I noticed that the valve cover on this one is silver where as the one on my old 2000 was black. Not that it means it's mechanically different, but it does raise the question; Is there a specific year/model range that will work, or will any K1200 engine work?

Thanks.
In 05 BMW made a couple of changes to the engine so I am not sure if the computer would work on pre 05 models or not. I am sure more knowledgeable people will chime in.

As far as a thrown rod. Pretty uncommon on these bikes. May have been a defect or lack of oil changes.

Good luck

Roy

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
gunny said:
First one I've heard of with a broken rod.

Any idea as to the root cause? Run it out of oil would be a probable cause.
No idea on the cause. Previous owner said it had been making noise for some time and had it in at the dealership several times for it. Dealership shrugged it off as nothing. I can tell they really took care of this bike, there's enough add-on's to make my head spin.

Sunshine said:
Did you get the trailer with it for that price?
No, the trailer was sold before I got there.

·
Premium Member
7,526 Posts
inderocker said:
No idea on the cause. Previous owner said it had been making noise for some time and had it in at the dealership several times for it. Dealership shrugged it off as nothing. I can tell they really took care of this bike, there's enough add-on's to make my head spin.
QUOTE]

Unfortunately, add-ons don't necessarily equate with good maintenance. Good records of maintenance have a better chance of correlation. :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Voyager said:
inderocker said:
QUOTE]

Unfortunately, add-ons don't necessarily equate with good maintenance. Good records of maintenance have a better chance of correlation. :)
Fortunately, I've owned ~120 motorcycles and can tell which have been abused. You don't spend thousands in accessories to skimp on a $40 oil change. I'm not basing my statement solely on add-on's. I'm basing it on the well sorted tools box that was in their garage and the in depth (mechanical) description of the issue. It's not like it was owned by some kid who knows nothing about motorcycle maintenance. It was owned by avid motorcyclist in their 50's/60's. Besides, maintenance records aren't worth the paper they're printed on once the bike has thrown a rod. ;)

·
Premium Member
730 Posts
I am pretty sure the engine is the same in size, fitament etc, althought the 05 and newer ones have more horsepower and torque. I have no idea whether the electronics are the same or not either. www.ltparts.com has several engines sale, but they are all older than 05's. Tony might have a line on one though.

·
Premium Member
2,017 Posts
If you have the extended Warranty, this should be a warranty claim not out of pocket. even out of warranty, if you can show evidence of proper maintenance, you might still be able to do some arm twisting to get a "shared" responsibility from BMW. Of course in this economy, you might be simply filling your personal frustration bucket.

The engines should be compatible, but due to the design change from 03 to 04, you might play it safe and look for an 04 or newer.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts