BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am trying to add a RAM mount to my bike to hold a cell phone or GPS. The dealer advised me to remove the BMW logo just above the radio buttons and I would find a bolt underneath. I removed the logo and all I have is plastic, no hole, no bolt. Has anyone else had this problem? I prefer not to improvise a fix, I like things done right. This seems like the idea spot but how do I proceed? I dont want to glue it in place, I prefer a more "permanent" mount.
Thanks!

·
Registered
4,426 Posts
If I remember doing mine and the 05 is the same as the 01, there is a screw accessible from underneath the stingray possibly under a sticker or maybe not. What I had to do after separating the pieces of the stingray slightly, I drilled progressively larger holes all the way through large enough for the ram ball mount bolt. Then I bought some stainless washers about the size of the logo and placed one on top for strength and also places a stack large enough to get some tightness top to bottom on the inside of the stingray and another underneath so when compressed, it didn't break the plastic but was able to be adequately tightened so not to move around.

You will be drilling out the screw mount formed on the top piece on the underside of the stingray under the logo so you lose any center support for tightening the ram mount. I removed the other screws holding top to bottom enough to separate it and see inside. I fished a string through the bottom and pulled it out the side through the washer stack and then back out the top to hold the washers in place while I got the bolt through it all and into the ram mount. Took a little patience but it works well when done and yes, it is the ideal place.

·
Registered
4,426 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
I mounted mine right above the radio controls. Took the BMW emblem off, and fabricated a 90 degree bracket. Chose a Marlin Chrome mount instead of the Ram. Much sturdier, and actually looks like it's hard to steal compared to the Ram. Someone would have to know how to spread the arms to take the phone out. It's pricey, but really a beautiful mount.
When i took the emblem out, i saw a hole going thru the Stingray, and just used self adhesive tape and a longer screw threw the hole. Slightly bigger of course, and it's held perfectly. No vibration, and easily gotten to. The Marlin's mount can be ordered with many different mounting options. I've used it for years, first on my Harley, then the RT, then the LT. No rust, and holds the phone very securely.

Attachments

·
Registered
698 Posts
I removed the BMW logo above the radio, as you describe, to install my gps unit. Drilled a 1/4 inch hole clear through then inserted a 1/4 inch hex bolt from the bottom so the threads were sticking up to the height I needed for installing my L-bracket (DIY project). I used this technique on both the 2002 and the 2004 LTs. Sorry I don't have photos readily available.

·
Registered
4,426 Posts
Here are a couple pictures of the ram ball mount through the stingray from the bottom with removal of the BMW emblem now that I am home and can take some to show.

Attachments

·
Registered
207 Posts
Munmi. I just used a longer self tapping screw and went thru the stingray, that way i didn't have to remove the tupperware. Plenty of room under the stingray.

·
Registered
577 Posts
I have a Zumo 550 as well, and mounted it on the same place on the stingray, but used some heavy duty epoxy. It has sat there now for about 4 years, through every season/etc., and is rock solid. I realize that it is permanent, and perhaps not the prettiest installation, but it works just fine. Behind the tank bag, you can't see it, and it's mounted low enough for me to see the full dash controls. I had it on the clutch reservoir for a start, but didn't like it.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
I am trying to add a RAM mount to my bike to hold a cell phone or GPS. The dealer advised me to remove the BMW logo just above the radio buttons and I would find a bolt underneath. I removed the logo and all I have is plastic, no hole, no bolt. Has anyone else had this problem? I prefer not to improvise a fix, I like things done right. This seems like the idea spot but how do I proceed? I dont want to glue it in place, I prefer a more "permanent" mount.
Thanks!
I got a clutch cover ram mount. And mounted my zumo 550 & cb radio to it. I can't seem to attach pics. Send me a private message. I'll send to your phone if you like.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hey James, what cb do you use, i have a handheld midland and need to mount it. Just got this bike 2000 k1200lt, looks great for a 17 year old bike.....

·
Registered
250 Posts
Hey James, what cb do you use, i have a handheld midland and need to mount it. Just got this bike 2000 k1200lt, looks great for a 17 year old bike.....
Check with J&M® Motorcycle Audio they used to have a system for a handheld CB. I just took a quick look and didn't see it, but in years past I have had one of these units and it worked great. Check their website and give them a call and tell them what you need. Also check with Sierra Electronics. Good Luck.
Leon

·
Registered
698 Posts
Munmi. I just used a longer self tapping screw and went thru the stingray, that way i didn't have to remove the tupperware. Plenty of room under the stingray.
I didn't need to remove the stingray either. Yes there was plenty of room for the 1/4 x whatever I used to insert from the bottom up.

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
A J&M Model JMCB2003. Go to J&M website. Or just google J&M cb2003. It has weatherband. passenger/driver communication. And an mp3 player.Go to tread . Seeking GPS advice and look at the pics I posted. Also. There's a model 2003 on ebay for $219.00 with free shipping.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I mounted mine right above the radio controls. Took the BMW emblem off, and fabricated a 90 degree bracket. Chose a Marlin Chrome mount instead of the Ram. Much sturdier, and actually looks like it's hard to steal compared to the Ram. Someone would have to know how to spread the arms to take the phone out. It's pricey, but really a beautiful mount.
When i took the emblem out, i saw a hole going thru the Stingray, and just used self adhesive tape and a longer screw threw the hole. Slightly bigger of course, and it's held perfectly. No vibration, and easily gotten to. The Marlin's mount can be ordered with many different mounting options. I've used it for years, first on my Harley, then the RT, then the LT. No rust, and holds the phone very securely.
Zombie thread alert!:grin:

Which mounting option did you choose for mounting to your fabricated bracket? That sounds like exactly what I want to do, but the available options are not especially clear on how they might work with a flat plate. Although, there is a flat plate mount, but I'd sure be more comfortable if I knew what TOC mount is, and how it applies to a flat plate...

Appreciate any guidance you can provide!:bmw:

Mark

·
Registered
373 Posts
Zombie thread alert!:grin:

Which mounting option did you choose for mounting to your fabricated bracket? That sounds like exactly what I want to do, but the available options are not especially clear on how they might work with a flat plate. Although, there is a flat plate mount, but I'd sure be more comfortable if I knew what TOC mount is, and how it applies to a flat plate...

Appreciate any guidance you can provide!:bmw:

Mark
You have a 2006, right? Do you have the Nav III? And what are you trying to mount--GPS, smartphone, tablet, CB radio?

I don't understand your comments about a flat plate. Maybe a pic would help me to visualize?

(Asking because I'm in the middle of my install where I'm removing the Nav III and adding a smartphone mount to use as a GPS so I've done a little research.)

·
Registered
187 Posts
My bike came stock with a NavIII, I believe, but a PO removed it from the bike before I bought it. The flat plate I'm referring to is the angle plate that BeemerJoe fabricated for his bike (also a 2006, I believe). I really like the look of the Marlin phone mount that he installed, I just want to make sure I get the right mounting system to install on a fabbed plate like that.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts