BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

2005 K1200LT-quits while running

3K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  101ladyspot 
#1 ·
(35,000 miles) Last week it started running rough on the way home from work. Called the dealer in Ft Myers (we are in Naples) and set up a service appointment. Thought it needed a tune-up. On the way there, (about 45 minute ride) the bike quit while at the traffic light. Had been on the interstate doing 70 mph without any problems. Bike would not start, so the dealer had to come with a trailer to get it. (Forget to mention, it is a trike) They made note of the issues and we left it there. We had smelled gas in the garage that morning, and had seen fluid leaking out when backing out of the garage. They did 36,000 mile maintanence but could not find the any other problem. Rode it home and to work the next day. Following day it would not start, so put the charger on it and got it started. The next day it quit on the way to work. Wouldn't start, completely dead. After 15-20 minutes, tried it and it started fine so took it home and took the truck to work. Monday (day off) checked electrical connections and ran the bike for an hour. Suddenly, the radio started cutting in and out, the headlight flickered and bike quit. Again, it wouldn't start for about 15 minutes. Thinking it might be the canister, we did the bypass of the canister and ran the bike for an hour. Just shut it off and now it doesn't start. (maybe too hot?) We will see what happens in 15 minutes. Anyone have any ideas as to what the problem might be?

#6 ·
Thanks for the replies...when it dies, it is DEAD, no dash lights, doesn't crank. Could it be the ignition switch? Last night, after it cooled down,
(about 15 min) it started fine. After we disconnected the canister, we ran it (neutral) in the garage for an hour. It didn't quit, but after we turned it off, it wouldn't start. Maybe it got too hot just running in place. The problem with gas leaking seems to be gone. We will check the connection at the starter, because the battery is less than a year old. Bike is driven almost every day. From what I have read (I am only the passenger, but a better searcher for answers) on the forum, my thought is the cannister got trashed. We had an overflow from the tank when the pump for the rear gas tank pumped fuel into a full front tank. When we removed the gas cap, the fuel overflowed like it was being pumped out. This being a trike, getting to the cannister to remove and inspect it requires more than trunk removal. This is a Hannigan conversion, and because it is seamless, it does make accessability to things "under the trunk" more of a challenge. We had to have an access opening cut to get to the alarm when it needed replacing. Maybe we can get to the canister through that. If the canister is trashed, will it hurt to just leave it where it is (disconnected)?

#8 ·
I doubt the canister is causing your problems, there might be an issue with it but that won't cause loss of electrical power. If you disconnect it you can leave it where it is just be sure to leave the tank vent line open. There is a roll over valve on the tank vent that keeps liquid gas from entering the canister so it should have been protected when the main tank over filled but anyway.

You need a DC volt meter to check battery voltage when the engine is off, running at 2k RPM's, and when it won't start. post those readings. If they are in spec you will need to check voltage to and from the ignition switch. A wiring print will be very important in trackinthrown the issue.
Trace the ground lead from the battery and be sure the connection points are clean and tight.
A very good test procedure would be using voltage drops to isolate the fault.
The test is very easy to show, harder to explain not knowing your electrical experience.
If you google DC voltage drop tests you should find the procedure with pics (you're using a meter set on DC volts like you are checking resistance, the circuit needs to be on).

Start simple, battery, even though it was recently replaced. A local auto parts store will do a load test and let you know it's condition. Call first to be sure they have a load tester,

Good Luck

#9 ·
Thanks for the suggestions. Would a battery problem cause it to quit while running? Would running it for a hour in the garage cause it not to re-start after turning it off? (it didn't quit while running for that hour, we turned it off) It started without a problem this morning, so we are going for a ride. We checked battery connections and they are tight. I wish we could find someone in Naples that works on BMW. I am not thrilled with Ft Myers and the next dealer is either Sarasota or back to Tampa.

#12 ·
I had the issue on my GS unfortunately it was a loose connection INSIDE the battery. Replaced it with a Braille battery and took the old one apart (not easy) and welded the faulty tie point. Now it is my bench battery.

Based on your symptoms I would think it is the battery or the negative terminal tie point ( behind the battery where all the brown wires tie to). 10 mm nut might just be loose. I was thinking the load shed relay but that would not kill the dash just the lights. Must be battery or connections to same.

#13 ·
we rode several hours this morning, without any problems (since partial canisternectomy). It started fine and had no re-starting problems. If there is an issue with the battery (which was replaced 4/2011) it didn't present itself. If the canister was not the problem, and based on what I have read here on the forum, I think we will leave it disconnected. We love the bike (trike) and would miss not riding, but we have no way to get it home, if it quits while we are out riding. That is my only fear. Maybe we need to buy a trailer...
Thanks again for all the help and suggestions. We will replace the battery if we have any more problems. If anyone has any other thoughts about this, please let us know.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.