BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am buying a 2005 K1200LT. It has 7,900 miles. All stock except for 6 disc changer, highway pegs and new Zumo Navigation. Service records up to date. No wrecks, but was laid down so it has a 1 inch scratch on saddlebag and chrome saddlebag liner. This is from a BMW dealer and it still has mfg. warranty well in to 09. Is this a fair price because Im early enough to stop the purchase if not. Buying from a dealer is important to me. Thanks for any opinions. Buying at 14.9K

·
Registered
499 Posts
?? What price

Many '05s have been sold in the $13-14K range in perfect condition.

Dave

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,178 Posts
14.9K is a bit high, but then again you are buying from a dealer so expect to pay a bit more. The Zumo itself is a nice and pricey add-on. The scratches are a negative, and for the asking price the dealer should replace the parts.
Warranty until 2009 sounds like a 2 year extended warranty, definitely a plus but be sure to check what is excluded (i.e. ABS, etc...).
There is always wiggle room, so don't just take the dealer asking rice as the final price. I would have them replaced the scratched parts and still ask them to lower to 14K.
Does the bike have a com system? That too would have an effect on the price.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The dealer says it has mfg warranty until 05/09. It is light yellow metallic (Gold). No com. I have already sent a deposit hold check which if they do not bend a little I will demand back. I know some people have come across great deals, but am interested more if I am paying way to much? I am financing.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Not too bad considering.

I bought mine from a private party a year age with 39K. Out of warranty with Jpegs, remote locks + alarms, 6 CD, good condition. I paid $11.5 for it.

OK I got a cheaper price, but NO warranty and more miles.

Your paying (over my "deal") $4,400.00 "extra" for the 32K less and warranty and the dealer ability to fix it.

If it were me (and of course I'm spending your $$), I would get them to do the 12K maintenance (about $1200.00 if you have them do it) then negotiate "down" a grand or so. Alternatively, If I was "crafty", I may have them provide a "Good" extended warranty and pay for the 12K service (either now or through a later credit).

Good luck--you are in the ballpark, keep in mind it's WINTER (at least somewhere).

Joe

·
Registered
183 Posts
hifiman said:
The dealer says it has mfg warranty until 05/09. It is light yellow metallic (Gold). No com. I have already sent a deposit hold check which if they do not bend a little I will demand back. I know some people have come across great deals, but am interested more if I am paying way to much? I am financing.
I bought the same color with the same damage, best color, good choice. Get them to change out the damaged chrome strip(plastic); it's a $130 part. Bought my 05 for $14.3 last April with 6.5k on the ODO. Private party so cheaper and it did have an Autocom(no headsets however).

I would expect they would bend a bit; it's a slow sales time of the year. Warranty is good on all those for 4 years.

Good luck,

Bruce :)

·
Registered
298 Posts
Not too bad

I traded a 2003 for an 05 and am ecstatic. A little more umph, alot more headlight, and the centerstand is the cats ass. The price is on the high side for a bike with even minor scratches but then the trade off is the low miles that you are buying. I agree with the other replies, barter for goodies and a little lower price. If I had to guess, at that price, the dealer is clearing about a grand on the deal which is high for a used sled. Keep working on them and good luck.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Purchased from private party an 05 LT w/7400 miles w/o zumo and pegs for $12K. Never dropped and all service records.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Price? what price

Arn't you guys lucky to live in the USA. My 2005 LT with 12000KM ( 8000 miles), perfect condition with 6 stack and nothing else - $25000.00 ozzie dollars 6 months ago.
Current exchange rate $1aud= .90c. us.
I think I will come over there. :eek:

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks to everyone. I feel better now but will neg. the price a little and have asked them to replace the damaged parts. They are very minor. I love the bike and the color. I now have to wait 3 weeks before I can travel down south to pick it up. This is going to be the longest 3 weeks of my life!
Thanks again for everybodys input.

·
Registered
630 Posts
joegottberg said:
If it were me (and of course I'm spending your $$), I would get them to do the 12K maintenance (about $1200.00 if you have them do it) then negotiate "down" a grand or so. Alternatively, If I was "crafty", I may have them provide a "Good" extended warranty and pay for the 12K service (either now or through a later credit). Joe
$1,200.00 for the 12000 mile service?????? :eek: I just had mine done today at Grand Rapids BMW. I had all the tupperware off of the bike and the service cost me $123.87. You might want to look for another dealer to do your service.

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,178 Posts
Chick said:
$1,200.00 for the 12000 mile service?????? :eek: I just had mine done today at Grand Rapids BMW. I had all the tupperware off of the bike and the service cost me $123.87. You might want to look for another dealer to do your service.
$123.87 barely covers the cost of filters and fluids...:eek:
Me thinks your dealer probably forgot to charge for labor...:think:

·
Premium Member
1,882 Posts
hifiman said:
.......have asked them to replace the damaged parts. .
Don't worry too much about the damaged parts. WHEN you drop it, they will end up the same anyway. ;-)

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
When you talk to the dealer ask them if they sell extended warrantys if they do have them throw one in for their cost. I just got a Pinnicle 4yr that covers ABS for just under $1200 the dealer pays around $450 for these. I bought a KTM 950 and they gave me a 5yr no deduct (Western General) for their cost plus $50 and I paid $500 for it. Like others have said also have them include the 12K service, get all you can. I have an 05' and love it, to bad yours is the slower color! (just kidding)

·
Registered
938 Posts
Deposit

Let me understand this now..

You went to a dealer, put down a deposit before you negotiated the price that you will pay??? I am sure that the dealer is under the impression that you agree to his terms and that is why you gave him the deposit.

I don't think so.... When you put a deposit down on a bike, you are doing this because you have already negotiated terms and this money is provided in good faith to take the bike off the market because you have accepted the terms. If you were not happy with the terms, why would you put down a deposit????

The price seems a bit high, but I doubt the dealer will renegotiate.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts