BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Old woman backed into right side while bike sitting. Pushed it over, snap (broke) the kick stand (side stand), gear shifter is bent in a little rubbing against the plastic.. shifter looks like a casting, so usually casting don't bend but break. So that's what I'm looking for. I'm not sure what the womans insurance is going to offer, they said might total it out if parts cost more than worth.. I still will sell if someone is interested.. Has only 30800 miless. I can still drive, but only have power center stand for parking.need the kick stand. I'm in the villages Florida

·
Registered
289 Posts
Retired insurance agent here - not from Florida. But generally, If YOU crash your bike and submit a claim to YOUR insurance company, and you and they agree that the repairs would cost more than the Blue Book value, then your insurance company pays you the Blue Book value and they take the bike to be sold as salvage.

But that's not what's happening here. You're not dealing with your insurance company, your dealing with hers. So in this case, it's a matter of how good you are at negotiating. If I was the claim adjuster for the woman's insurance company, I'd be happy to pay you the Blue Book to close out the claim and let you KEEP THE BIKE if the repairs are gonna be close to or over Blue Book If you can get them to agree to that, you can use the money to buy used parts on eBay or wherever, install those parts at a labor cost of zero dollars, and end up with a bike that still has a clear title not a salvage title. And probably leftover money in your pocket.

Your first step is to get the bike into a BMW dealer for a damage appraisal. That will cost you a few bucks but without it you have no way to argue your case. The appraisal done by HER insurance company is useless to you.

Of course, if you don't want to fuss with it, that's your privilege. I just wanted to point out that the other company can't "force" you to give up the bike and title as salvage. It's a negotiation.

Also, if they try to tell you some bullshot about "no fault" they are trying to bamboozle you. No-fault in Florida only involves injuries, not damage to vehicles.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Retired insurance agent here - not from Florida. But generally, If YOU crash your bike and submit a claim to YOUR insurance company, and you and they agree that the repairs would cost more than the Blue Book value, then your insurance company pays you the Blue Book value and they take the bike to be sold as salvage.

But that's not what's happening here. You're not dealing with your insurance company, your dealing with hers. So in this case, it's a matter of how good you are at negotiating. If I was the claim adjuster for the woman's insurance company, I'd be happy to pay you the Blue Book to close out the claim and let you KEEP THE BIKE if the repairs are gonna be close to or over Blue Book If you can get them to agree to that, you can use the money to buy used parts on eBay or wherever, install those parts at a labor cost of zero dollars, and end up with a bike that still has a clear title not a salvage title. And probably leftover money in your pocket.

Your first step is to get the bike into a BMW dealer for a damage appraisal. That will cost you a few bucks but without it you have no way to argue your case. The appraisal done by HER insurance company is useless to you.

Of course, if you don't want to fuss with it, that's your privilege. I just wanted to point out that the other company can't "force" you to give up the bike and title as salvage. It's a negotiation.

Also, if they try to tell you some bullshot about "no fault" they are trying to bamboozle you. No-fault in Florida only involves injuries, not damage to vehicles.
Thank you for the information.. I think the old womans insurance appraisal was good taking photos of the damage in my garage.. But she was saying if they salvage it, she said their value would be what the dealer would pay like a trade in price. I said that wouldn't be much.. I would keep it because there not much damage.

·
IBR# 366
16,572 Posts
If you decide to keep the bike, follow Drone's advice to maintain title without marking it as salvage. That will save you a whole lot of trouble.

Basically, she's at fault, so they have to make you whole and happy.

Reactions: mondrage

·
Registered
17 Posts
Ken: I can't help you with the parts or sale but I have an '06 sitting in my garage that needs work. I also live in the Villages. If I knew how to PM you on this site I'd send you my cell #.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ken: I can't help you with the parts or sale but I have an '06 sitting in my garage that needs work. I also live in the Villages. If I knew how to PM you on this site I'd send you my cell #.
look in phone book K. klug

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,346 Posts
If I knew how to PM you on this site I'd send you my cell #.
PMs are now "Conversations". Click on your avatar in the black bar above and select "conversations" and then select the blue box "Start Conversation".

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
PMs are now "Conversations". Click on your avatar in the black bar above and select "conversations" and then select the blue box "Start Conversation".
I don't know or see avatar. I only have a tablet.., No cell phone only a home phone.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,346 Posts
Try clicking on the person you want to PM then you should see this:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The insurance is offering $5400. to scrap it. Going to pick it up thursday. That's more than I can sell it for. I tried selling for $4200. then down to $3500. no one interested so I'll scrap it. You all will be able to buy the parts from whoever buys it> . I just put new front tire on, new driver seat, new stainless sell brake lines, everything works except for the bent gear shifter, foot brake pedal.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
copart.com picked the bike up friday, Insurance didn't send a check yet. It will take some time.. If you look at copart.com my past bike lot # is 29933271 they put the mirrors in the truck.. The driver couldn't handle the bike so he had me drive it up the flatbed. The bed was oil & grease but I made it up..I never heard of copart,, the reviews are not very good. I'm just glad I will get a check from insurance..

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,346 Posts
I tried to buy a wrecked bike after it hit Copart and it was impossible as only registered agents can bid and it would have cost me over 2,000 to hire one and place a bid.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Really? In 2014 I bought a totaled 1150GSA from Copart and it was pretty easy. Signed up for a Premier membership ($200/year) then gave them a $400 deposit towards my first auction. Bid on this bike and won. Super great price--well worth my $200 membership fee. Paid Copart for the bike less my $400 deposit, then made arrangements with them to have it flat-bedded 22 miles to my house. Did the whole deal from home via computer and phone.

Just checked their website and the Premier membership is still $200.

Copart by the way is HUGE. They're a publicly traded company on Nasdaq (CPRT) with 18 locations in the U.K., 10 locations in Canada, and over 175 locations in the U.S.

Here's a link to your bike being sold out of Ocala Florida. Auction date not yet set.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,346 Posts
I guess it was the fact they wanted a business license or a broker that got me. I was just trying to get an engine cheaply in case my re-ring failed to fix mine.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I guess it was the fact they wanted a business license or a broker that got me. I was just trying to get an engine cheaply in case my re-ring failed to fix mine.
Your reply was confusing so I dug a little deeper and discovered that bidding requirements vary from state-to-state based on state law.

For you-- Buying for Personal Use in Alabama? Without a business license, you will need a Broker’s help to bid on clean and salvage title vehicles in Alabama.

For me-- Buying for Personal Use in Washington? Without a business license, private individuals buying in Washington may purchase boats, jet skis, snowmobiles and salvage titled items on their own, but will need to go through a Broker for all clean titled vehicles.

Mystery solved.

By the way Florida, where this bike is being sold, has the same rules as Alabama. Dang!

Reactions: nh1200c
1 - 15 of 15 Posts