BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Noticed oil on my right lower fairing, right footpeg mount, right EHCS leg.

Engine oil level is fine. Transmission fill plug is fine. Checked transmission level anyhow, even though Red Line Shockproof used and leak color is not red, and transmission level is fine.

Took off the right tupperware to look for leak (and install fuel QDs, and see that my right front fork tube is leaking.

A few questions:

1) What is involved in fixing the leak?

2) Should I do the left leg at the same time as a prophylactic measure?

3) What weight oil should I use? Should I spend the extra on something like Lucas Synthetic Fork Oil?

Thanks in advance for any pertinent information you can add to this thread.

·
Premium Member
2,086 Posts
Fairly simple to do. Doesn't matter what oil you use. It is only there to lube the slide.

Raise the front end.
Remove front wheel
Unbolt sliders from tree and calipers
Slide lowers off
Remove seal
Install new seal.
Check oil level and top up
install slider with a piece of dental floss hanging inside to allow air to escape past seal
bolt up,remove floss

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Automatic transmission fluid

did not bother with floss, air does not seem to get trapped

depending on mileage bushing below seal which is inexpensive should be replaced, if seal is worn more (white showing) on front and rear part of seal, black on the sides, definitely replace bushing

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Awesome info. Sounds like a fairly easy project. I was afraid I would have to strip down past the tank and nose cone.

Anyone have part numbers handy for seals and bushings?

Arse seals simple slide off/on, or are the more like rear main seal between engine/clutch? Bushings... same question.

Again, thanks!

Another question... other than the mess made by the leaking fork oil, is there any harm in riding the bike until I get the parts?

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
you can pop the seals out (carefully) with a screwdriver

will still be some oil in the fork, it is there strictly for lubrication, my right failed about 100 miles from home and I picked up the parts with it, wouldn't hurt to have some varsol around to rinse out the lower

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, all. Tempted to try it today if the local stealer has the parts.

Thanks, Dick, for the link to Diaz' post with photos.

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Attached is the Fork Slider/Lower Fork Bridge parts fiche.
Parts prices are from MaxBMW as of this date.

Attachments

·
Registered
285 Posts
What is it about the right leg? I have three bikes and all three right legs are leaking!

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
jwacree said:
What is it about the right leg? I have three bikes and all three right legs are leaking!
all of mine started with the right leg as well

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Picked up two seal and two caps/wipers from the local stealer. I guess they are felling the internet pressure, as they matched Max BMW's pricing, actually beat it by a little. Of course, their "list" price was about 60+% higher. Caveat emptor!

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
deputy5211 said:
Picked up two seal and two caps/wipers from the local stealer. I guess they are felling the internet pressure, as they matched Max BMW's pricing, actually beat it by a little. Of course, their "list" price was about 60+% higher. Caveat emptor!

What else have you got to fix Tony? I should think that you have had enough for a while. Are you using Plano as your local steeler? I was in there.....once.

Robert

·
Registered
659 Posts
gary45 said:
Automatic transmission fluid

did not bother with floss, air does not seem to get trapped

depending on mileage bushing below seal which is inexpensive should be replaced, if seal is worn more (white showing) on front and rear part of seal, black on the sides, definitely replace bushing
Disagree about the floss. Heard a definite whoosh of air when I bled mine after replacement. It's easy enough to do and then your'e riding on the fluid as you should be.

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Reid said:
Disagree about the floss. Heard a definite whoosh of air when I bled mine after replacement. It's easy enough to do and then your'e riding on the fluid as you should be.
As I understand it, the only fluid you are riding on is the nitrogen gas in the front shock, as the front fork fluid is for lubrication only, and not suspension as in more traditional designs found on other bikes.

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Scouter-50 said:
What else have you got to fix Tony? I should think that you have had enough for a while. Are you using Plano as your local steeler? I was in there.....once.

Robert

Hmmm... Need to install rebuilt steering damper (thanks Matthew -CochinoSucio!), fuel filter, replace the BlueSea fuse block with a new, larger one, arm rests, and... ;)

·
Registered
3,278 Posts
deputy5211 said:
Arse seals simple slide off/on, or are the more like rear main seal
Tony, you gotta watch your spelling!!! :histerica

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,460 Posts
deputy5211 said:
As I understand it, the only fluid you are riding on is the nitrogen gas in the front shock, as the front fork fluid is for lubrication only, and not suspension as in more traditional designs found on other bikes.
True dat, Tonee!

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
cws said:
Tony, you gotta watch your spelling!!! :histerica
Isn't your arse sealed with a one-way valve? :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Old oil dumped into my recycling jug, interior of lower leg thoroughly cleaned, new seal installed, new boot installed, new fluid installed into clean and empty leg, and unit was reassembled onto the LT, adjusted, and torqued to specs.

The former fluid was red. Either the factory filled the 2005 models with red fork oil, or this fork has failed before and they used red fork oil or ATF to refill. Another thread had several posts about the right leg failing. Go figure.

I sure hope this seal lasts longer than the prior one, which was about 32k miles if it was the original, or as few as 20k if the original owner changed the seal some time before I bought them bike..

Rather than dink around with something that is working normally, I left the left fork alone. I have an extra seal and wiper/cap on hand, and it is an easy fix. If it ever fails, I will take the hour and a half or so to fix it at that time. No sense in letting Murphy have a crack at the left fork. :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts