BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
good Day

Well the light sensor in my dash keeps coming on " Brake failure" .Having a look at the front pads and the 2 inner pads on each side require to be changed . So i might as well replace them all .
Here is my question , If i do ,will this indicator light dissapear on its own ?Or do I need to reset the computer somehow ?
When i bought the bike . The guy said that once i start it . Try not to touch the brakes until you get going in order for the abs indicator light to not come on and annoy you . Is that correct or is there something ells I should be looking at .

Thanks for your help , It`s nice out here today only -20 and no wind !!!
Ah! the snow will melt soon ... Good time for maintenance

Louis

·
Registered
The Villages, FL
2,601 Posts
It is most likely low on fluid. I would change out the pads, and do a complete brake fluid flush (if it was not done during the past two years). Just remember that there are two brake fluid circuits for the front and two for the rear brakes, that means any of the four reservoirs could be low on fluid. There is plenty to read on this site to help you out.
This is the first that I heard not to touch the brake lever until rolling, that just is not true. The lights do flash when you first start your bike (doing self test) but they should go out once you start moving. If not, again, I am leaning towards low brake fluid.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,167 Posts
The sequence is initial test fast flash. This the one you can stay in if you hold the brakes, but it will cycle out as soon as you release them. Then it will slow flash until the rolling test is performed. If all is well they both go out. A steady "brake failure" is a little more serious and can mean a fault in the ABS unit. Low pads will cause a low fluid condition which will show a wig wag flash of the general warning and brake failure lights. This unit is also self clearing when the fault is fixed the lights go out, no reset necessary.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It is most likely low on fluid. I would change out the pads, and do a complete brake fluid flush (if it was not done during the past two years). Just remember that there are two brake fluid circuits for the front and two for the rear brakes, that means any of the four reservoirs could be low on fluid. There is plenty to read on this site to help you out.
This is the first that I heard not to touch the brake lever until rolling, that just is not true. The lights do flash when you first start your bike (doing self test) but they should go out once you start moving. If not, again, I am leaning towards low brake fluid.

OK

I was reading and watching on Utube so to get an idea how to do it right .
The bke is warming up now .It`s been in -20*C for 2 months . I plan do do it this week end
I`m replacing the pads , going to bleed the system after and top off any fluid missing .
But looking at my manual and the videos , I only saw 3 places to add brake fluid ..... You say for reservoirs or 4 location required to bleed

Thanks for your reply

Louis

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The sequence is initial test fast flash. This the one you can stay in if you hold the brakes, but it will cycle out as soon as you release them. Then it will slow flash until the rolling test is performed. If all is well they both go out. A steady "brake failure" is a little more serious and can mean a fault in the ABS unit. Low pads will cause a low fluid condition which will show a wig wag flash of the general warning and brake failure lights. This unit is also self clearing when the fault is fixed the lights go out, no reset necessary.

OK I`m guilty of ignoring the warning ....

The season was almost over when the warning lights started to not go off . i checked the pads and viewed the handlebar reservoir .Pads were low but still good to ride for sometime fluid was borderline on the level . I chose to keep going for a few more weeks knowing that i would be doing a major maintenance during February .
The only down side to winter renos on a bike is you need to wait for spring to confirm all is good again

Thanks For your reply

·
Registered
The Villages, FL
2,601 Posts
I only saw 3 places to add brake fluid ..... You say for reservoirs or 4 location required to bleed
I had a 2000 so it did not have the brakes that your does. I am pretty sure there are four. Others will chime in.

·
Registered
847 Posts
I have a 2003 and I have only 3 one on the handle bar and two under the seat thats all I work with when I do a flush:bmw:
But I think it was 6 or 8 nipples to put your tube on to do a flush thorugh

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,167 Posts
The 05 has three ports for front control and three ports for rear control circuits ON the ABS. There are four reservoirs, one on the handle bar (front control), one small one under the seat (rear control), and two on the ABS unit for each wheel circuit. The tall one is for the front. Each front caliper has one bleed port and the rear caliper has two. But if you did not replace a line or run low on fluid there is no need to bleed the system.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The 05 has three ports for front control and three ports for rear control circuits ON the ABS. There are four reservoirs, one on the handle bar (front control), one small one under the seat (rear control), and two on the ABS unit for each wheel circuit. The tall one is for the front. Each front caliper has one bleed port and the rear caliper has two. But if you did not replace a line or run low on fluid there is no need to bleed the system.

Ok

Still reading about this . But i only found 3 places to add fluid in the braking system
One on the bars
2 on the right side next to the saddle bag
Where are the rest

Thanks For your help

Louis

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,167 Posts
Ok if you have an 05 LT there are two reservoirs ON the ABS unit and these are the only ones that are monitored for fluid level and the only ones where the fluid level will drop as the pads wear. You have to remove the tupperware on the left side (called the battery cover) to get to these reservoirs. The other two are not monitored and, under normal circumstances, the fluid level will not change.

Attachments

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ABS 2005 lt

Ok if you have an 05 LT there are two reservoirs ON the ABS unit and these are the only ones that are monitored for fluid level and the only ones where the fluid level will drop as the pads wear. You have to remove the tupperware on the left side (called the battery cover) to get to these reservoirs. The other two are not monitored and, under normal circumstances, the fluid level will not change.
OK Perfect ...Thanks

1 - 11 of 11 Posts