BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All -

I just finished Saturday flushing the brakes on my '05 for the first time since I've owned it (1 year).

Followed John Z.'s DVD and all appeared to go smoothly..along with the short test ride (>5 miles) to ensure no ABS warning lights and good braking power - no issues observed.

Fast forward to last night - I happened to glance down on the carport floor and noticed a "puddle" of brake fluid! :mad: In the 12 months since I have had the bike, it hasn't deposited a drop of anything on the floor. It was getting late, but I thought I could see where it had run from the vicinity of the ABS module on the LH side. I wiped down what I could and then proceeded to static-test the brakes for a few minutes with the bike idling. Didn't immediately see anything appear, but there were a few drops on the concrete this morning and a good bit larger amount when I got home from work tonight.

I'm not good at estimating amounts, but I'd say a half teaspoon? Took the Tupperware
back off and examined everything under a strong light. Thought I might have seen residue underneath the reservoir cap for the rear wheel circuit. Opened the reservoir caps on both front/rear and verified sufficient fluid levels and then tightened them back as far as I dared - definitely tighter than last time. Wiped everything down again and then proceeded to static-test like last night - didn't see anything leaking, but who knows?

Any ideas or suggestions? What's the torque on those caps? What happens if you overfill the reservoirs, etc.? :confused:

We leave on a multi-day trip Saturday morning and this is the last thing I want to worry about! TIA - Daniel

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,781 Posts
I answered your PM already but now I see you looked into the reservoirs after riding the bike and saw they were full. If you are seeing fluid at the top that is your issue. You need to fill the 05 and up reservoirs with the pistons fully pressed back in the calipers. Then when you seat the pads the level will drop and there will be no heat related expansion leaks out the vent caps. You should not see fluid at the top of the reservoir unless your pads are brand new and still the level should be down some. These reservoir sensors are not as fussy as the early bikes. When you get the wig wag it is time for new pads on the 05 + version. But let me know if the leak persists. May want to check the 7mm bleed ports to make sure they are snug. Also look for evidence of spilt fluid during the flush (I always spill a small amount).

·
Registered
407 Posts
There is a tray under the ABS unit that can catch and hold brake fluid that is spilled during the flush. This eventually leaks down on the left side of the bike and onto the exhaust. I had a little spill and the residual dripping lasted for days. Unless you can see an obvious leak, it very likely that this is all you are seeing. Take it out for a ride spirited ride and then let it sit for a few hours with paper towels under it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts