BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for a picture or good explanation of the - and + battery connections on my bike. I recently had some work done and thing the battery connections may not be correct. My electronics are acting wonky. Display is erratic, center stand light flashing, reverse not working. I have a black wire with a yellow tracer and a faded red sleeve connected to the neg side of my battery?

·
Registered
787 Posts
I changed my battery recently and the positive wires are toward the front of the bike. so the batteries positive should also be toward the front.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Surprised you don't have more problems with computer and displays. On my 2009 the black/yellow is on the pos (+). terminal.

I only have 3 wires on each terminal block... one (+) and one (-) run to Centech AP2 fuse block for accessory connections. I think the other two on the + side are for the starter and electrical harness. Not sure where the other 2 ground side wires go.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,253 Posts
A Stock unmodified 05 will have a single metal strap on the negative that feeds a grounding tie point behind the battery where there is a collection of brown wires +one Black w/yellow stripe and a brown sleeve (this is for the reverser controller {RC}. The positive should have two wire bundles sheathed in black with red sleeves. One is a Black w/yellow stripe and a red sleeve (for the RC). The other is a collection of several wires into one terminal. I have three other wires on my positive that I have added fuse boxes with and other accessories.

The last time I helped some one with crazy operation of "stuff" we found that a brown wire had been connected to the frame vs. the tie point behind the battery. This causes all kinds of grief as BMW does not use the frame as a ground return.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts