BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I'm new to this forum, new to BMW motorcycles, and new to ABS systems. I enjoy working on my own bikes and right now it's the k1200's turn to have some things done. I couldn't have picked a more challenging motorcycle. I'm changing the rear rotor, rear pads, and the brake lines. I've done brake lines before but not on ABS units. I'm thinking about doing the rotor first, getting it back together and then start on the brake lines. I have read many threads and watched some videos on Youtube. I am looking for a procedure to bleed the ABS unit after I get the lines in. There seems to be six bleed points on the unit, 4 short and 2 long. Or can I get away with changing one line at a time without putting air into the ABS unit, bleeding as I go. Again its the 2005 unit.

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
There are two circuits for each end of the bike, control (lever to abs unit) and wheel, (abs unit to calipers). The control circuits use fluid from the visible relevant reservoirs, the wheel circuits have their reservoirs in the abs unit. You can not change a line without getting air into one of the systems. The six bleed points on the abs unit are opened and bled in specific orders. There are 3 for the front control circuit and abs chambers and 3 for the rear control circuit and abs chambers. There are several articles on how to do this. Not hard just a procedure. Beemer boneyard has a funnel that will thread into the cap hole in the abs unit for doing the wheel circuits. The control circuits are just replenished via the visible normal reservoirs.
I suggest you look and ask on the K bike forum I-BMW.com and purchase a Clymer manual or the Factory DVD. Either will give you the details. There are two versions of ABS modules with the six point bleed works and I don't remember which bikes have which. I believe you have the earlier one. Does it look like this?
How do I bleed K1200RS ABS III Brakes - I-BMW.com

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,340 Posts
There are a few steps you can do to minimize the bleed especially on the front control circuit. I should have my write up done this weekend and it is a collection of notes from the last two brake line set changes I have done on the LT. The control circuits take the most work (mostly the rear) but wheel circuits you can use the funnel and the pumps to bleed them out to the calipers.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No. I believe the reservoirs are built into the unit. Also the tall points of the bleeds are pointing vertical instead of horizontal. The Clymer manual only suggests the dealer do it if the system is drained. Oh! the funnel is on the way. I will check out the web page you suggested for more info. Thank you

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There are a few steps you can do to minimize the bleed especially on the front control circuit. I should have my write up done this weekend and it is a collection of notes from the last two brake line set changes I have done on the LT. The control circuits take the most work (mostly the rear) but wheel circuits you can use the funnel and the pumps to bleed them out to the calipers.
Thank you. I look forward to your write up. In the meantime I will do more research. Boy, you guys are quick to respond. I appreciate that.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,340 Posts
While you are waiting for the funnel get a short length of 3/8 Tygon tubing (lawnmower shops). Cut the funnel 3/4 inch above the screw in part and that will make the funnel fit around the frame in the Front reservoir (tall one).

Attachments

Reactions: DanMartin

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,340 Posts
Review all these resources to become familiar with changing out the brake lines on an LT.

From the i-BMW site Bleed

Kirks Videos from the BMW Motorrad Club of Northern Illinois Brake Line Replacement

And my rendition of how I have done it several times on LTs in a PDF file.

Let me know what you think then I will post it in the Technical Files area.

Attachments

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,340 Posts
I am usually here if you have a problem, happy to help.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Hi guys,

I have the Phonix system, funnel and Speigler lines and plan on doing this in a few weeks since there is ice and snow in Montreal so no more riding till April 2015!!!

I would also be waiting for John's " paper words" so I can get prepared for the work on the lines.

Thanks,

Bowdon

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,340 Posts
Hi guys,

I would also be waiting for John's " paper words" so I can get prepared for the work on the lines.

Thanks,

Bowdon
Look up at my post number 7 (can't use # anymore for number) . The PDF file is "my words".

But one thing I left out is that you can remove the big connector to make getting to the bleed ports easier. Helps if you don't have the "bent" 7 mm wrench.

·
Registered
506 Posts
But one thing I left out is that you can remove the big connector to make getting to the bleed ports easier. Helps if you don't have the "bent" 7 mm wrench.
:bowdown: Thanks for the assistance John. Was a little late for me to use the connector removal trick, but I will be doing that for sure if I need to get any more air out of the control side.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Could someone tell me what the big deal would be if you had to start from the beginning when filling and bleeding the system. Is it just the time it would take or would you risk damaging the ABS unit. Again, I have no experience with ABS. Just curious and want to learn.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Could someone tell me what the big deal would be if you had to start from the beginning when filling and bleeding the system. Is it just the time it would take or would you risk damaging the ABS unit. Again, I have no experience with ABS. Just curious and want to learn.
Buy the Maintainance CD rom from Bmw , Its all there on it and after you have done a bleed change , You will understand it aint rocket science . I have changed the fluid out on 2 bikes using a Syringe .

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Buy the Maintainance CD rom from Bmw , Its all there on it and after you have done a bleed change , You will understand it aint rocket science . I have changed the fluid out on 2 bikes using a Syringe .
I looked on ebay and motobins but I could not find the cd for a 2005. Just contact a dealer or is there another place you could suggest.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,340 Posts
Filling and bleeding the control circuits is done "key off". It doesnot matter which end you start with. Best to do the control first then use it to bleed the wheel circuits under power.

Reactions: beech

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Filling and bleeding the control circuits is done "key off". It doesnot matter which end you start with. Best to do the control first then use it to bleed the wheel circuits under power.
That's a roger John. Thanks for the extra info. Will probably do this next weekend when all my ducks are in a row. Once I start I want to be able to finish it in one day. That's tough during football season. "Go Pac Go"

·
Registered
506 Posts
That's a roger John. Thanks for the extra info. Will probably do this next weekend when all my ducks are in a row. Once I start I want to be able to finish it in one day. That's tough during football season. "Go Pac Go"
I feel your pain. Replaced my lines with Spieglers and John has been giving me pointers. It isn't a huge process but a little intimidating the first time (at least it was for me...) Will be testing mine with a GS-911 tonight.

My pointers are to take your time and get a Speedbleeder bag. Get plenty of brake fluid. It is cheap and caused me an extra day of work because I ran out on a Sunday after the auto parts stores were closed (had to watch the Pack do their thing! :D ) Bye week this weekend so you have two full days to work on the brakes.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I feel your pain. Replaced my lines with Spieglers and John has been giving me pointers. It isn't a huge process but a little intimidating the first time (at least it was for me...) Will be testing mine with a GS-911 tonight.

My pointers are to take your time and get a Speedbleeder bag. Get plenty of brake fluid. It is cheap and caused me an extra day of work because I ran out on a Sunday after the auto parts stores were closed (had to watch the Pack do their thing! :D ) Bye week this weekend so you have two full days to work on the brakes.
I assume a speedbleeder bag is a set of 4 or 5, probably available at beemer boneyard or maybe your local auto store. Next year I plan to go to Lambeau, Yours truely, Cheesehead, Rhode Island Chapter.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts