BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please help.

Just rode my newly purchased 2005 K1200 LT home today. It was a fairly priced, low mileage example at a Polaris/Victory dealer. Sold as is, no warranty. During the test ride notice the horn did not work. I wasn't worried. When I got home I noticed no brake light. The fuse is good and there is power to the fuse block. I have reviewed the other threads. They seem to start with a blown fuse.

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
Old thread about the fuse layout on an '05, just to make sure you have the right one.
click and see attched .doc file

Fuse Box 2, Fuse #4 15A Horn, Brake Lights; Alarm; Central Locking

Question, does your electric centre stand work? A faulty brake light will also disable that....

·
Registered
688 Posts
Welcome to the forum! I haven't faced this on the LT. I would check fuses (you did that), get the voltmeter out and check for power and check for the ground. Without the voltmeter, ask Santa to bring you one for Christmas... until then you get to visually check them... slow and tedious.

While in the fuse box, do what I always do straight away: Replace all 5amp fuses with 10amp fuses; replace 10s with 20s and replace 20s with 30s. You will find that increasing the amps will keep your fuses lasting longer. You will be much less likely to blow a fuse. Nah, I'm just kidding all of the people who read that advice and freak out; definitely, leave all fuses at factory specs. Fuses are easier to replace than burned up parts.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
12-06-15 update. Thank you gentlemen for responding so quickly. Yes. The owners manual was wrong. Pulled the blown 15 amp brake light/horn/ alarm fuse out of the other block. New one blew as soon as I installed it.

Found a thread from 2012. Pulled 3-wire connection to alarm. Got brake lights and horn back but bike would not start. As part of that thread "J-Zeiler" wrote of jumping pin 3 (black/white/yellow) to 11 (black yellow) and pin 10 (green violet) to 6 (blue violet) for engine electronics and fuel pump relay. Now I had brake lights, horn, and running bike.

Put back together. Went for ride. Found I had no turn signals or emergency flashers. A different thread mentions flashers are tied to alarm.

Took apart. 15 amp fuse blew as I plugged in the alarm. Now I know the fix for the brake light/horn/running issues but hoping that someone can help me with a possible pin jump fix (which wires are for the turn signals/emergency flashers).

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
Don't know about jumping pins (I don't have an alarm) but I've attached a 2005 riders Maintenance manual, if its of any use.
JZ may chime in sometime to help... :)

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update #2 12-06-15. Found another old post for the same type of problem on a pre-2005 LT. It described adding the #2 (green wire) to the #10 and #6. The green wire must power the turn signals and the emergency flasher. Now I have stop lights, horn, turn signals, emergency flashers, and she runs!

Hope this helps some other person get back on the road.

Again, I appreciate all the help .

Happy holidays from LMBRMN in Kansas City.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,924 Posts
It is a fine point between the pre 05 and post 05 alarms. If you add the green wire to the pre 05 you get the turn signals on all the time. Why couldn't they just leave it alone. Glad you sorted it out.

·
Slow Old Guy
2,012 Posts
Welcome to the forum and I am glad you got this worked out.

I'm going to move this thread to the K12LT section. Might be easier for someone else with this issue to find it.

·
Registered
211 Posts
While in the fuse box, do what I always do straight away: Replace all 5amp fuses with 10amp fuses; replace 10s with 20s and replace 20s with 30s. You will find that increasing the amps will keep your fuses lasting longer. You will be much less likely to blow a fuse. Nah, I'm just kidding all of the people who read that advice and freak out; definitely, leave all fuses at factory specs. Fuses are easier to replace than burned up parts.[/QUOTE]

and after this you turn your bike to charcoal,ha ha ha ha!!!:histerica:histerica:histerica This was a wrap, ehhh? Did you hear the latest joke with ....?:histerica:histerica:histerica

1 - 10 of 10 Posts