BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm about to purchase a 05 K1200 and it smokes on start up if left on side stand. dealer say's thats normal. Is it?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I'm about to purchase an 05 K1200 It smokes on startup when on side stand. The dealer said thats normal. Is it really?

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Very normal. My 02 did it most of the time. Leave it on the center stand and it will stop if it bothers you.

·
Registered
774 Posts
I'm about to purchase an 05 K1200 It smokes on startup when on side stand. The dealer said thats normal. Is it really?
Absolutely normal and nothing to worry about. Because the cylinders are all on the left side, same as the side stand, you will often get a little oil seep past the rings and into the combustion chamber.
I will usually put something under the foot of the stand if I leave it that way for a while. This lessens the chance of oil getting past the rings but not always. If you are in the habit of keeping the bike on the centre stand it stays fairly smoke free. I actually read about a guy who swapped the side stand on an older K bike to the right side. It never smoked again. It's just a little quirk of the K engines and nothing to worry about.

·
Registered
548 Posts
What he said.
I always leave mine on the center stand.
And lean it to the other side for 20 seconds when I left on the side stand. Otherwise it’ll be a little bit of case of neighborhoods fumigated with oil smelling smoke. 25k miles bike. It’s done it since new.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,417 Posts
I've never noticed my '99 smoke. I believe it's due to my end-of-ride routine. Stop engine by putting side-stand down while in gear and flat footed, pop-up helmet, remove gloves, remove glasses, remove helmet and
place on tank between bars. With all that done I lean the bike onto the side-stand, get off, put helmet and jacket away, come back to the bike and put her on the center-stand. I think it gives the hot oil enough time to
drain into the sump.

HTH,
Jer

·
Registered
774 Posts
I've never noticed my '99 smoke. I believe it's due to my end-of-ride routine. Stop engine by putting side-stand down while in gear and flat footed, pop-up helmet, remove gloves, remove glasses, remove helmet and
place on tank between bars. With all that done I lean the bike onto the side-stand, get off, put helmet and jacket away, come back to the bike and put her on the center-stand. I think it gives the hot oil enough time to
drain into the sump.

HTH,
Jer
Either that or you just forgot to put the oil back in after the last service. :grin:

·
Registered
548 Posts
Either that or you just forgot to put the oil back in after the last service. :grin:

Hahahahahahaha!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
7,677 Posts
drain into the sump.

HTH,
Jer
If you put it on the center stand each time, then of course it won’t smoke. The issue is leaving it on the side stand.

I have found that if I lean the LT to the right and then turn off the engine and leave it leaned against my right leg for 30 seconds (the time it takes for my Nav V to time out and shut itself off) while I remove gloves and helmet and then place it on the side stand, the smoke at start-up is either non-existent or greatly reduced.

·
Premium Member
7,677 Posts
Yes, it does.
Not if you put it on the center stand before shutting off the engine. And, of course, assuming level ground. If you use the center stand on ground that tilts to the left, then it will smoke just as though you had used the side stand.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Not if you put it on the center stand before shutting off the engine. And, of course, assuming level ground. If you use the center stand on ground that tilts to the left, then it will smoke just as though you had used the side stand.
The OP said if left on the side stand. Of course, you can run the oil low enough to not smoke when left on the side stand but I don't recommend that. >:) When I arrive home, I shut the bike down, shift into neutral and start the pushing and moving to get her into her little cubby hole in the garage; usually, the oil settle well and the bike doesn't smoke on start up that I notice.

·
Registered
60 Posts
The OP said if left on the side stand. Of course, you can run the oil low enough to not smoke when left on the side stand but I don't recommend that. >:) When I arrive home, I shut the bike down, shift into neutral and start the pushing and moving to get her into her little cubby hole in the garage; usually, the oil settle well and the bike doesn't smoke on start up that I notice.
Me too. Arrive home, turn bike around in front of garage, turn off ignition and push bike backwards into back corner of garage. By the time I get it rolled back to my parking spot in the garage, the oil must be drained because it doesn't smoke when I start it at home. Sometime while out and about, I forget to l wait a few moments after turning the key off to let the oil drain away before I place it on the side stand, and then (if it sits for a half hour or so) it will smoke at startup. Just take off quick and nobody will know who left the smoke lingering in the air.!

·
Premium Member
7,677 Posts
Me too. Arrive home, turn bike around in front of garage, turn off ignition and push bike backwards into back corner of garage. By the time I get it rolled back to my parking spot in the garage, the oil must be drained because it doesn't smoke when I start it at home. Sometime while out and about, I forget to l wait a few moments after turning the key off to let the oil drain away before I place it on the side stand, and then (if it sits for a half hour or so) it will smoke at startup. Just take off quick and nobody will know who left the smoke lingering in the air.!
Just tell any onlookers that it is the automatic mosquito repellent dispenser. :grin:

·
Registered
60 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts